Surefire 6PD with Cree upgrade

iubigred007

Newly Enlightened
hey everyone. sort of new here, and i've actually been bitten by the bug before i have even owned a "good" flashlight. i love the surefire 6pd package, except for the light source. i'm looking to get LED, and do one better and get CREE LED light source. so, i found a few drop ins/upgrades at places, they say the'll work with the surefire 6p, but i had a few questions i was hoping someone here could answer:

1.) if it works with 6p will it work with 6pd? did not know if the bezel made a difference
2.) do the drop ins fit like they should in the surefire head? or are there gaps between head and body?
3.) if there is a gap, does it look sloppy or inhibit the weather resistance of the package?

thanks, and i hope these questions are not too much of a bother for anyone.

thanks!

iubigred007

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I have a BugOutGear Cree Premium drop in for my 6P. This sucker is bright. The old Mark III eyeball indicates about the same output as a P90 LA on fresh cells. There is about a 0.5mm gap on my bezel to body junction. You really don't notice it unless your looking for it. I'm told by BOG the latest SF 6Ps don't have this gap as they have different battery tube geometries. Also I had to install a contact spring supplied by BOG.

I really like it.

iubigred007

Newly Enlightened
thanks kelmo. i just looked at the bugoutgearusa.com site.

wow, they have a lot of options, 3 cree options i saw. all those state that they DO NOT make the same gap as others, so i guess that means any others (except theirs) WILL make a gap. looks like they have a good replacement policy too. i don't see any replacement plocy like that on the eBay one.

hopefully someone else can chime in as well.

thanks for the help so far.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Ive got the BOG 170 lumen premium drop in in my 6pd. There is no head gap at all. It is also a hell of alot brighter than the standard bulb and the runtime is around 2:30 hours. I did have a problem with it shorting out near the positive contact but a little electrical tape fixed that up just fine. if it werent for this drop in I would have put all my surefires on the B/S/T section.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
this is one that caught my eye: http://cgi.ebay.com/CREE-XR-E-Repla...yZ106988QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'm not expecting to get 200 lumens from it, but 120-140 would be nice, but maybe i'm hoping for too much there too.

also, if anyone out there has this combo, and has an ideal match, please let me know.

thanks!

I'm pretty sure that that's the cree bulb I just got. Tye only downside is that the bezel will only screw down about 3/4 of the way if you leave that big spring on. If you take off the spring the light won't come on at all.
On the positive side this bulb is very bright. Tight bright spot with a lot of very usable side spill.
You might be better off getting the cree bulb that Lighthound sells.

iubigred007

Newly Enlightened
great. thanks for the feedback all. i think i'll go ahead and get a 6pd, then get a drop-in from bugoutgearusa.com for it. if it all does not work out for the better, i can always turn around and sell the 6pd on eBay with the incan bulb back in it.

but, i have a feeling this combo may suit for me for a while :D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could drop in one of these:
UltraFire CREE LED XR-E P4 Surefire 6P C2 D2 UF-CREE

On the other hand, Surefire is about to release a new "digital" 6p which has a Cree built in.
If you like the 6P this new light will be a complete replacement of an incan 6P.
They look cool to me I have always been partial to the 6P. A 6P was my first "real" flashlight.
Yaesumofo

iubigred007

Newly Enlightened
i thought about waiting for a digital one to come along, but, i am affraid that they will take away the appealing price tag of around $70, and make the digital one close to $200. the first surefire i fell in love with was the L5 lummax, but at the $180 they want for it, it don't likey that much.

with this combo, i get a light that i really like the setup of, a cheap CREE drop in... and voila, brightness.

thanks for the other link. i'll consider the DX stuff too.