Compilation of Surefire Cree/SSC information

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I've scoured CPF to put together all currently known information on SF's Cree XR-E and SSC P4 lights. The details are summarized with links and links to beamshots, photos, reviews (when found) etc, here:

http://talisiorder.ca/sfxre.html

This should hopefully reduce some of the redundant discussion that's bound to sprout in the SF threads over the next little while as more ExL and L1 lights reach CPF members.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info. If you renamed this "Surefire Cree/SSC FAQ" it might get more attention.

I like the section on the Titan :)

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work!

I would love to see confirmed length and weight (grams) measurements for each of these lights if possible.

Thanks!

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I just heard back from Surefire customer support---
Dear Sir,

If you have ordered the new improved version of the E1L, the KX1 head from that light will not function on your E2E. They are not interchangeable. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world class customer service.
SureFire Technical Support
1(800)828-8809 Toll Free
(714)545-9444
(714)545-9537 Fax

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just heard back from Surefire customer support---
Dear Sir,

If you have ordered the new improved version of the E1L, the KX1 head from that light will not function on your E2E. They are not interchangeable.

This is very discouraging. I think SureFire is making a big mistake.

Hans

Enlightened
If the preliminary information on the new E1L, the E2L and the L1 is actually true, I'm done with Surefire once and for all.

Hans

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say the whole smaller body thing sucks for those of use who love a reuseable power source. From a business standpoint it will sell more batteries, but afterall, their mission isnt selling batteries, its selling flashlights.

Rant mode off.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an email asking Surefire what the input voltages are for the KX1 and KX2 heads. They responded this morning:

Could you please tell me the minimum and maximum operating voltage of the KX1 and KX2 heads?
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in SureFire products. Unfortunately, the information you have asked for is proprietary and is not given out.

ja10

Enlightened
I must say the whole smaller body thing sucks for those of use who love a reuseable power source. From a business standpoint it will sell more batteries, but afterall, their mission isnt selling batteries, its selling flashlights.

Rant mode off.

I have to wonder if there is another reason. That was my initial reaction as well, but how many Surefire users are actually using li-ions? CPF in terms of a market is nothing to Surefire. It would seam to reason that our use of li-ions would be nothing as well.

Maybe the use of rechargeable batteries is widespread enough to warrant the change though - I don't really know.

Now, the non-compatibility of KX1 with two cells and the KX2 with one cell is another issue altogether ...

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wonder if there is another reason. That was my initial reaction as well, but how many Surefire users are actually using li-ions? CPF in terms of a market is nothing to Surefire. It would seam to reason that our use of li-ions would be nothing as well.

Maybe the use of rechargeable batteries is widespread enough to warrant the change though - I don't really know.

Now, the non-compatibility of KX1 with two cells and the KX2 with one cell is another issue altogether ...

Very true, I forget that rechargeable 123a's probably makes up for .5% of alll 123a's sold.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they want to increase the caliber round that the body will take and keep on working, maybe 7.62x39mm?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I understand that substandard batteries can be thicker diameter, also use of aftermarket rechargeable batteries requires the user to have high regard for safety issues.
I consider that SureFire are actively seeking to improve the safety of their products through preventing / making more difficult, the miss-use of using the wrong batteries. SureFires should be powered by SF123A batteries or American-made CR123A batteries from a trusted retailer.

Al

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah on the whole I wouldn't trust most consumers with r123a's, I will say that. Also you eliminate all variables when you only use Surefire batteries...as I'm sure their's are held to tight tolerances as far as capacity/output. We should carry on the battery conversation elsewhere...

segan

Newly Enlightened
Do we know for sure the L1 Cree can' take rechargeable 123s? Assuming you find one that will fit, can the new L1 take the higher voltage?

I read a post where someone tried this with an L1 Cree they were returning to SF for warranty repairs and it worked, but I can't remember which thread it was in.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for the runtime data! I am liking the new L1, though it is getting a little away from what the original L1 was (to me) - a moderate/low power general purpose light with a lonnnnng runtime. If I could tweak the new L1, I'd give it a lower "low" to extend low power runtime.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Compilation data updated @ time of this post.

Link added to Chao's E2L runtime plot.

There are still several unknowns regarding these lights:

• E1L lux output, runtime plot, and outdoor beamshots.

• Maximum KX2 operating voltage. Any volunteers want to risk their light with 2x li-ion cells? :eek: :poof:

• Maximum L1 operating voltage.
Any information to fill in these gaps would be greatly appreciated.