Help w/LED emitter lens

startravel

Newly Enlightened
Just got SSC P4 and noticed the lens appears to be made out of silicon. Luxeon LEDs seem to be made of acrylic. Does anybody know what material Cree XR-E, SSC P4, and Luxeon LED lenses are made of?

Pros and cons anyone (especially if led is unprotected)? I venture the silicon will attract dust thus get dirtier quicker. Will silicon yellow over time quicker then acrylic? I think acrylic is clearer then silicon. Which led lens has a better impact resistance?

-tim

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crees have glass lenses. The silicone dome of the SSC does attract dust. None of the dome materals have been shown to yellow or deteriorate over time. All the dome materials are strong enough so as to be the least of your worries if the light is dropped.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SSC can be cleaned if it gets real dusty, just wipe it with a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol on a q-tip. It works great and doesn't leave fibers. I use 91% but I hear 70% works just give it a few minutes to dry out.

Take care not to hit the silicone dome it can seperate from the led and shear off the bond wires. It happened to me when I dropped a maglight. The glass broke and the reflector shifted into the dome cutting the bond wires.

luxlover

Banned
The SSC can be cleaned if it gets real dusty, just wipe it with a bit of Isopropyl Alcohol on a q-tip. It works great and doesn't leave fibers. I use 91% but I hear 70% works just give it a few minutes to dry out.

Take care not to hit the silicone dome it can seperate from the led and shear off the bond wires. It happened to me when I dropped a maglight. The glass broke and the reflector shifted into the dome cutting the bond wires.
As Brian stated, he uses 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the domes of his Seoul P4 emitters. Well so do I, and I also recommend this procedure. So to ease the minds of all of you who are not sure if this is sound advice, here is an excerpt from page 15 of the Seoul P4 Technical Datasheet pdf file, which can be found here..... http://www.seoulsemicon.co.kr/_homepage/home_kor/product/spec/W42180.pdf
• This device should not be used in any type of fluid such as water, oil, organic solvent and etc. When washing is required, IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) should be used.

Make sure not to saturate the Q-tip with alcohol. It should only be slightly wet. As Brian stated, do not bump the dome. A slight swabbing will do the job.

Jeff

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also had the domes of the seoul P4 come off when a reflector shift happened. They are very jelly-like.
One of the other emitter domes have started to come off and now has a yellow tint to it now. I actually helps with color rendering. It's only a matter of time before that LED needs to be replaced as well.