Limited Edition Q2 Fenix not as bright ?

gtwace

Enlightened
Wonder if anyone got a limited edition Q2 fenix and compared with the normal edition P4 fenix.

I got 2 x Q2 fenix and both are not as bright as my P4 edition, I may have gotten lucky on my first order on the P4 and get maybe a Q5 instead ? The "P4" is so much whiter and brighter than the Q2. Both the Q2 fenix is of the same brightness though.

bspofford

Enlightened
Wonder if anyone got a limited edition Q2 fenix and compared with the normal edition P4 fenix.
I got 2 x Q2 fenix and both are not as bright as my P4 edition, I may have gotten lucky on my first order on the P4 and get maybe a Q5 instead ? The "P4" is so much whiter and brighter than the Q2. Both the Q2 fenix is of the same brightness though.

I bought four of the Q2 lights and found that three were about as bright as a regular P4. Certainly, I was not impressed with the brightness. One Q2 was very green and less bright, and I spent an additional $5.25 to mail it back to FenixStore.com just yesterday for replacement. Hopefully, the next light will be as bright as a P4 and not so green. The OP textured reflector is nice, but you can buy a light with the improved reflector without spending more money for a Q2 SE.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I just put a Q4 in my rex light. I did not notice much of a difference. I will compare it side by side to a friends unmodded Rex tonight and see if there is any difference that can be noticed.
Mike

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A typical P4 LED is rated 81-87 lumens at 350 mA. Q2 bins are rated 87-94 lumens. Everybody tends to compare 94 with 81 (up to 16% more output....) but if you get a top-of-the-range P4 and a bottom-of-the-range Q2 they have exactly the same output.

For the sake of discussion we assume that these Fenix flashlights drive their LED's at a rated current of 350 mA. Suppose now that the flashlight bearing the Q2 has a circuit that puts out just 330 mA....while the P4 light drives its LED at 370 mA......here you are. :rolleyes:

wintermute

Enlightened
From Chevrofreak, comparing regular vs. Q2 SE Fenix Lights:
I have some output numbers for the new Q2 SE model P1D.

Fenix P1D CE - Q2 SE - High - Surefire SF123: 1902 (est 135.86 lumens)
Fenix P1D CE - Q2 SE - Medium - Surefire SF123: 1049 (est 74.93 lumens)
Fenix P1D CE - Q2 SE - low - Surefire SF123: 355 (est 25.36 lumens)

Compared to the original one which may have been using a P4.

Fenix P1D CE - High - Energizer E2 CR123a: 1556 - (est 111.14 lumens)
Fenix P1D CE - Medium - Energizer E2 CR123a: 833 - (est 59.5 lumens)
Fenix P1D CE - Low - Energizer E2 CR123a: 236 - (est 16.86 lumens)

24.72 lumens more output on High
15.43 more lumens output on Medium
8.5 more lumens output on low

That's about 22% more light on High, 26% more on Medium and 50% more on low. A very significant change. I'm not sure if runtime is effected any, or if this will even be typical of the lights people get. I would do runtime tests on it but I'm getting really low on CR123's.

Also, he has a graph of brightness and runtime here.

gtwace (and others), check those two resources and see what you think.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the cool white will look brighter than warm white. You really need a lux meter to measure.

gtwace

Enlightened
I do know that tint, current and led output range will affect brightness, but overall I am pretty dissapointed with the Q2 edition, even the clicky does not feel as solid as the first fenix I got, the only thing I like is the orange peel reflector.
The first fenix is at least 80% brighter than the Q2 from looks, I will say perhaps I got first time lucky and got a Q5 on the first fenix, given the QC of fenix aren't that up to the mark : )

jki

Newly Enlightened
Comparing my P2D-CE to my P2D-CE-Q2, the Q2 version is putting out more total light - it lights up a small dark room better with its brighter spill. The hotspot on the regular P2D is brighter than on the Q2 when compared on a nearby wall, but I was surprised to find that, within the effective range of throw of these little guys (maybe 15 meters; beyond that, use a bigger light!), both of these were equally effective, trading off hotspot intensity with spill brightness. I prefer the vanilla white output of the Q2 over the slightly cool output of the P4.

wintermute

Enlightened
I do know that tint, current and led output range will affect brightness, but overall I am pretty dissapointed with the Q2 edition, even the clicky does not feel as solid as the first fenix I got, the only thing I like is the orange peel reflector.
The first fenix is at least 80% brighter than the Q2 from looks, I will say perhaps I got first time lucky and got a Q5 on the first fenix, given the QC of fenix aren't that up to the mark : )
It's not possible that you got a Q5 in the first Fenix because Q5s were not available yet. As far as anyone knows, only 1000 Q5s have even been released on the market so far, only to one distributor, and they haven't even received the shipment yet from indications on the marketplace.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried other batteries, cleaned the contacts, etc? I only could compare my P2D Q2 with my P3D P4, and the P2D Q2 is brighter than the P3D until you get to Turbo on the P3D. There is a big difference in brightness when they are both on low, the Q2 being much brighter. I assume on low they are each putting the same current to the LED.

ensile

Enlightened
you should notice a difference.

Brightness and tint should be noticeble. Larger Spill on the q2's

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
My L2D CE Q2 is just a smidgen brighter than my regular L2D CE, both on new e2 Lithium AA's. Although the hotspot intensity of the regular one is greater than the Q2, a ceiling bounce test seems to put the Q2 slightly ahead.

They're also of equal tint. I once bought an L1DCE which was a rather cool bluish white compared to the other 3 I've seen.

Overall, I do like the new OP reflector although it doesn't solve the 'doughnut hole' at close range. As for the Q2, a little more brightness is always a good thing :D

A nice bonus is the un-Loctite-d head which makes for easy access to the reflector and LED and can make for a really bright candle :)

LA OZ

Enlightened
In my experience, doubling the lumen is a worth while upgrade. Other than that, the benefit is not that obvious. Q2 is such a small jump that you will not be able to discerned if you were to use them alone.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, doubling the lumen is a worth while upgrade. Other than that, the benefit is not that obvious. Q2 is such a small jump that you will not be able to discerned if you were to use them alone.

Many people, including myself, see a noticeable difference in the lower modes. It's nice to know I should get the same run time with noticeably more light on low and medium. The high modes aren't as noticeable.

mchlwise

Enlightened
My Q2 L1DCE is unquestionably brighter. On an NIMH, my Q2 is almost as bright as my wife's "regular" L1DCE... on a 14500. :green: