New SF L1 or Novatac Product?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just interested in what others are interested in. I for one have about a dozen Surefires and only one HDS. So I opted for the Novatac 85P. Although I do like the Surefire's new look (shorter).

What say you?!

Hans

Enlightened
If the L1 doesn't run on rechargebles, I won't buy it, it's as simple as that. I'd also like to see some more reliable information on how low low actually is. If it's really 10 lumens or thereabouts, it's too high for my purposes. The Novatac - I'd like to see some reviews and read what users are saying after a few weeks of use. No need to rush things before the dust settles.

So I'll be sitting on the fence for a while. Not a bad place actually, far cheaper than buying a light that doesn't fit my needs. And maybe Henry will have his new lights out by then ... :D

Hans

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to vote for the Novatac although I went for the 120P. I have 1/2 dozen SureFires so don't get me wrong on this choice!

Karl

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the pleasure of owning quite a few L1s, both stock and modded (ML1s of different emitters). I also own a modded HDS. So where does this put me? I've got a new Novatac on order, as I've fallen for the HDS form factor, progammability, and overall quality. I'll wait to read a few reviews of the new L1 to see if it is as flexible as a milkyspit ML1. If not, I may PING milkyspit for another.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both on order and should be getting my L1 tomorrow or Friday. If I could only have one (and I don't have either at this time), I would run with the Novatac.

I am basing this on my experience with my HDS EDC 60 GT and my hopes that the Novatac will be brighter, longer running and at least as good in every other way.

I was a little dissappointed in the promised runtime of the L1 on low but what the heck, I am a flashaholic so I bought it anyway.

-Goatee

warpdrive

Enlightened
I ordered a Novatac 120P

If it's anything like my HDS, the 120P will be my favorite flashlight successor.

Personally, I was kind of surprised to see all the votes above for the L1. To me, the Novatac is smaller, more flexible in light levels, probably will be built as well, and is just a better EDC. The L1 will probably throw a bit better due to the tighter beam, the 120P will just be more versatile.

I might still pick up a L1 (it's THE Cree Surefire I've been wanting) though in the grand tradition of CPF

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac because the L1 won't take rechargeables.

digitaleos

Enlightened
Novatac because the L1 won't take rechargeables.

I wouldn't be so sure:whistle:, I have a L1 that I am sending back to Surefire because after about 20 seconds on high, the light output drops, then roughly 20 seconds after that it begins to flicker/strobe. :mad: Anyway, what I'm getting at, last night I decided since I'm sending it back to Surefire anyway why not try a RCR123. :devil: I have an older AW unprotected cell that fit. When I turned it on, low and behold, it worked just the way it was suppose to. Although I don't have any testing equipment, I would say it was a little bit brighter on the rechargeable cell. I will say however that I didn't run for very long on the rechargeable for fear of seeing the magic smoke. And before anybody says that's probably what caused the problems with my light, it's not, the problem occured when first trying the light out with the supplied cr123, and yes I tried a different battery and it did the same thing. This is just a friendly post to let you know that there may be hope yet on running the L1 on rechargeables.:D

Chris

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be so sure:whistle:, I have a L1 that I am sending back to Surefire because after about 20 seconds on high, the light output drops, then roughly 20 seconds after that it begins to flicker/strobe. :mad: Anyway, what I'm getting at, last night I decided since I'm sending it back to Surefire anyway why not try a RCR123. :devil: I have an older AW unprotected cell that fit. When I turned it on, low and behold, it worked just the way it was suppose to. Although I don't have any testing equipment, I would say it was a little bit brighter on the rechargeable cell. I will say however that I didn't run for very long on the rechargeable for fear of seeing the magic smoke. And before anybody says that's probably what caused the problems with my light, it's not, the problem occured when first trying the light out with the supplied cr123, and yes I tried a different battery and it did the same thing. This is just a friendly post to let you know that there may be hope yet on running the L1 on rechargeables.:D

Chris

so that's you, me and Silversurfer that have had the same problem with the L1

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Bizarre! Still wondering why people are voting for the L1 over the Novatac....
Thought the Novatac is heaps more versatile! With adjustable levels, maybe more output on high (especially the 120P model)

Can someone explain why? :grin2:

Latest posts