Mods. to increase throw of new Surefire L1

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone had reccommendations on increasing the already excellent throw of the new SF L1. Any other advice on possible modifications would be appreciated.

ja10

Enlightened
I tried three reflectors with my previous generation L1 when I put a SSC P4 in it. I used the stock optic, a Fraen optic, and a Carclo. I couldn't get any of them to produce a quality beam. While throw was better, they had huge Saturn rings and other artifacts. It was so bad that I threw them away and went with a McGizmo reflector. It has less throw, but the beam was perfect quality.

Some people a lot smarter than me may have better ideas, but I would be surprised if an optic out there would throw better while still maintaining the same stock beam quality.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I have not handled a 3rd gen L1 in person, however from the photos available it looks like the light uses a lightly frosted window to create spill. If it's just a frosted outer window rather than a frosted optic, then replacing the window with traditional clear glass should increase throw. Failing that, the TIR optic could possibly be replaced with an optic that has a narrower beam angle.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the new Fraen Reflector. Elektrolumens has/had some $1 a piece and 15x19mm it could work.