Flood Light Fenix P3D

davidt

Enlightened
Ok, I'm going to take the plunge and purchase a Fenix P3D.

My question is how well does the P3D does at being a flood light? How well is the light distributed; how much total spill does the light provide? I like there to be a intense hot spot but the light surrounding the hot spot how large is it?

Would you guys say there is an enormous beam spread?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the P3D-CE is not a flood type beam at all. There is enough spill to be useful (sort of a narrow spill, not a 180 degree spill)--but pretty dim--many folks have commented on the dark ring (donut) around the spot-beam--but it is really not a dark ring (by measurements), just a much less bright region which can be overwhelmed by the central hot spot.

If you want a flood--you will need a beam diffuser or different light.

-Bill

wintermute

Enlightened
No, the P3D-CE is not a flood type beam at all. There is enough spill to be useful (sort of a narrow spill, not a 180 degree spill)--but pretty dim--many folks have commented on the dark ring (donut) around the spot-beam--but it is really not a dark ring (by measurements), just a much less bright region which can be overwhelmed by the central hot spot.

If you want a flood--you will need a beam diffuser or different light.

-Bill

The "dark ring / donut" has been, for the most part, eliminated by the textured reflectors - which also provide a better spill. But there is still a prominent hot spot with the P3D...it's just a bright beam with good throw for the size. Not sure if anyone would classify the P3D as a "flood light" - but it is an excellent light overall. Just make sure you get the textured reflector.

davidt

Enlightened
Ok, this may sound dumb but does the textured reflector make the spill any larger. I guessing it will reduce the intensity of the hot spot and distribute more of the light more evenly right? But would the area of total light coverage increase?

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, this may sound dumb but does the textured reflector make the spill any larger. I guessing it will reduce the intensity of the hot spot and distribute more of the light more evenly right? But would the area of total light coverage increase?
No, it'll be the same.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Check out the AmiLite T5-- mine is in the mail! I wanted the best of both worlds so I got one flood and one P3d..... If you end up with the Fenix go with the orange peel. The AmiLite has some pretty stellar reviews.

http://www.amilite.co.kr/

Last edited:

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
I modded a p3d with a warm (WH) tint Q4 emitter and 4sevens modified OP reflector. It is now VERY floody, and has a nice tint for up-close work. More efficient emitter makes up for losses in total output from the reflector, but it still doesn't throw as much as stock. I would say it is approaching the "wall of light" that so many seek. I'm cosidering adding a diffuser to further enhance this affect. This is my perfect "around the campsite" light. Try it, you won't be sorry. -S

davidt

Enlightened
Where would I get a diffuser? I found some for maglites but have not found any for a fenix.

pilou

Enlightened
Check out the AmiLite T5-- mine is in the mail! I wanted the best of both worlds so I got one flood and one P3d......

I almost pulled the trigger for an Amilite. But the browning LEDs and the fact that you can get a new 2007 INOVA T1 for half the price kind of made me reconsider. Sure, the T1 isn't quite as bright and it has a single level, but $80 seemed too much for the Amilite.

Enlightened
Ok, I'm going to take the plunge and purchase a Fenix P3D.

My question is how well does the P3D does at being a flood light? How well is the light distributed; how much total spill does the light provide? I like there to be a intense hot spot but the light surrounding the hot spot how large is it?

Would you guys say there is an enormous beam spread?

P3Dlivingroom_filtered.jpg

davidt

Enlightened
Very nice 021411! Looks good enough for me. Oh yeah 021411 how far away were you from the wall.

I purchased my P3D this morning. Can't wait for it to get here.

Enlightened
Very nice 021411! Looks good enough for me. Oh yeah 021411 how far away were you from the wall.

I purchased my P3D this morning. Can't wait for it to get here.

I have no earthly idea. I'll get a measurement in a sec..

Edit: Distance to wall is around 23-24 feet.

Last edited: