Recovering Old Tax Returns

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My mom accidentally shredded copies of her and my dad's joint returns from the late 1950s through 1979. Does anyone know if the IRS has these on microfilm, and if so, can she ask them for copies? We want a copy of the actual returns and attachments, not just the information. If not, I've got a good week of work ahead of me trying to piece together the shreds. Thank goodness we don't have a crosscut shredder or the task would be impossible.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would they need 30+ year old copies of tax returns (not that this is any of my business)? Even the government destroys returns and W-2 data after 7-10 years (by law).

Here is a link for the forms if you want to get copies of your returns (7 years max) and W-2's (10 years max).

-Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Why would they need 30+ year old copies of tax returns (not that this is any of my business)?
My dad's been dead for about 16 months so it's mostly for posterity's sake and family history. And I already read on a couple of sites that you should keep your old tax returns indefinitely anyway. I know I'm keeping mine until I die.

Here is a link for the forms if you want to get copies of your returns (7 years max) and W-2's (10 years max).
Yeah, I saw those already. Not much use here as we still have the ones going back through 1980. I was hoping the government kept copies of the destroyed returns on microfilm.

In that case then does anyone have any tips on how to make the reconstruction process go faster? Looks like I'll be busy for a long while.....

bitslammer

Enlightened
Why would they need 30+ year old copies of tax returns (not that this is any of my business)? Even the government destroys returns and W-2 data after 7-10 years (by law).

-Bill

There was a piece on NPR about an individual that was being denied social security because they said he had not worked for a number of year. He was able to prove otherwise by producing all of his tax returns so there is some use to having them.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!! I would have never considered it. After my mom died I had to start tossing things. I threw out her old tax returns. Can't see why I'd need them, other than being sentimental.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962,

Ouch! Looks like lots of piecing together of strips of paper for you over the next week! Sorry, mate, that's no fun. But I suspect it's the only way in this case.