LS1vsKL1

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
I am extremely happy with my LS1 rev2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am considering getting either a E1E or an E2E. The only question I have is how bright is the KL1 head compared to the LS1? And what would make a better edc, E1E or the E2E? Size is not much of an issue.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't have arc rev 1 or 2 but i do have the grey kits. As far as the color is concerned, the arc is whiter than the KL1 because Kl1 uses luxeon tint 4 or 5 (blue to purplish) while arc ls' luxeon was hand picked to be the whiter from all the bin taken. The brightness is about the same.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
From earlier posts, it sounds like this varies based on the luck of your draw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I have the KL1 on an E2e, a couple of LS1 Rev2s and a LS2 Blem. The KL1 is bluish compared to all three of the Arcs but also seems to be driven a bit harder. In my case the KL1 just barely edges out the LS2 Blem which is brighter then the unmodified Arc. I placed a Cyan emitter in the other Arc (and of course that is the brightest of the bunch). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One of those who have seen MANY of both of these lights may have a better overall opinion.

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
I have an Arc-LSL TSP, and 2x KL1's used with SF E1 and E2. My Arc is a little bit whiter than the KL1 (the KL1 is a bit more blue). My 2 KL1's are not identical though, one of them is brighter than the other. The dimmest one has about the same brightness as my Arc.
I usually use the E1/KL1 as EDC because of the size. If size is not an issue E2/KL1 is a better choice batterywise. KL1 with 1x123 gives you 1,5-2 hrs runtime, 2x123 gives you 4-4,5 hrs runtime.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
LIke Spectre said, brightness of KL1 might be varied from individual LS. I have 2 KL1 and one is brighter than the others. However, both of them are brighter than LS1 hybride that I have. One is much brighter while another one is little brighter. The LS1 is whiter though. KL1 is in purplish somehow. You might have to consider reliability issue as well. While Arc LS is still in development stage and has minor reliability issue once in awhile, I haven't heard any problem on KL1 (yet). If purplish/blue tint bothers you, KL1 might not be your best choice.

The purplish tint might draw more attention though. When I use other whiter LS, most of non-flashaholic might not notice it as white (different from regular incandescant light) until I told them. Whenever I use KL1, they will immediately ask what it is.

Alan