Thoughts on WE Cree drop-ins

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several of the different Cree drop-ins, and when looking at them last night came up with some observations...

The standard and high output units aren't noticeably different in output. Luck of the lottery? Can't say of course, but would like to hear other's experiences with the two different modules.

The Wolf Eyes setups have three distinct heat related advantages:
1. The WE modules themselves have as much or usually significantly more mass for heat sinking. Some I haven't seen yet may match them, but the WE units are built heavy.
2. When using a WE unit in conjunction with a WE light, heat sinking rises enormously. The WE unit is designed to sit perfectly with all of it's bottom edge contacting the brass inner tubing of the light. This provides a large thermal pathway for heat to escape the module and enter a light that is sure to contain more mass for it's size than almost any other brand (again, built heavy). Most other drop in hosts require the outer spring for electrical contact and do NOT make full physical contact with the host body. I ran WE and other modules in non-WE plastic AND metal hosts, and they get HOT quickly. But, the outer spring doesn't seem to conduct heat to the host body well at all (the front edge sits on the glass lens), in essence isolating the drop-in unit ala a Mag bulb pedestal.
3. WE builds a D36 Cree drop in (does anyone else?). It has even MORE mass than their D26.

The WE units also have great fit/finish on the reflector and make as smooth a beam as I've seen. They also produce good spill and NOT maximum throw, which is what I like. They throw well but are like their incan lamps. From what I've observed, match the unit to the number of cells you'll be using for best regulation: 3.7-6V version for 2x123 or 18650, 3.7-13V for 2 li-ions of any size.

Personal note: I like to only buy lights, being led or incan, that can be run for the duration of the battery capacity without regards for damaging li-ion cells, emitter, etc. For me, running a HO Cree drop in continuously REQUIRES a WE-WE combo of unit and light because of it's excellent heat sinking advantage. What's the point of all this great runtime if you don't always have access to all of it if and when you want it?

WE builds multi-mode drop-ins, which I don't even have yet but am looking forward to.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for those informative observations Phaserburn. I've been thinking about either getting the WE 4 mode drop-in (when it becomes available here in the US in the 100%-20%-2%-strobe combination) and possibly a Surefire host (6P or G2), or just getting the WE 6AX/4 mode drop-in package offered by Pacific Tactical, along with an 18650 battery.

I keep reading good comments about WE lights, so it seems to make sense to go ahead and get a host body designed specifically for the drop-in. I completely agree that I want to be able to use any mode I need to for the full duration of the battery's capacity without having to think about damaging any part of the system.

I'll be interested to see what other folks have to say about this too.

OceanView

Enlightened
I've been thinking about either getting the WE 4 mode drop-in (when it becomes available here in the US in the 100%-20%-2%-strobe combination) and possibly a Surefire host (6P or G2), or just getting the WE 6AX/4 mode drop-in package offered by Pacific Tactical, along with an 18650 battery.
I can't compare the WE drop-ins to any other brands since I don't have any, but I'm thoroughly impressed with my WE Sniper and WE 3.7-13V HO Cree drop-in. I have left the light turned on and sitting on my desk (no extra heat transfer by being held in my hand) and even more than an hour later, I would describe the head as being only lukewarm to the touch. Took out the 18650 battery and the positive end was not very warm at all, so I'm assuming that all that heat is being distributed and dissipated from the drop-in throughout the body very well. No worries about heat building up inside of a polymer body here.

I recommend you go for the entire WE combo. My only caveat is that the WE is built like a tank so it's on the heavy side. I'm assuming that it is a bit heavier than the 6P body so if you're concerned about overall weight, it would be the heaviest of the three choices you mentioned. Like you, I'm eagerly awaiting the 100-20-2-strobe WE drop-ins, too.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks for the feedback Oceanview. Good to hear that the WE is built like a tank..... that's what I'm looking for, as this will be a general purpose light being used out in the real world, and will probably get a lot of abuse.

That was actually one of my concerns with the 6P, it seems that it's got the type 2 anodized finish..... and the WE has HA III, so hopefully the WE will hold up to the beating it's bound to get out in the field.

FASTCAR

Banned
Wolf Eyes is top notch these days.

And with one of my diffusers, IMO the best light you can get.

Last edited: