Sunglass recomendations

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of a new pair of sunglasses. Since, from my experience, CPF members possess some of the greatest advise obtainable via the internet on knives, gadgets, flashlights (of coarse), I seek your help. My criteria is as follows:

1.Durable
2.Low Maintanance
3.Stylish
4.Under $100

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Respectfully,
Dale

avusblue

Enlightened
First of all, I'd recommend you add "excellent optical quality" to your criteria, perhaps making it #1. Seek ground glass lenses, with UV protection and color neutral tint. And on that note, you should consider Randolph Engineering sunglasses as the best ones out there, and for a reasonable price too. Search on eBay and you'll find a bunch of them or check out www.randolphusa.com. They are the same glasses worn by US Military pilots and astronauts. And durable / low maintenance? I've got the same ones that I received back in 1985. Still perfect condition.

Whether they're "stylish" is up to you, but to me their timeless design is "substance over style" anyway, and never goes out of fashion.

Good luck!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.randolphusa.com./
"..Under Construction
The site you were trying to reach does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator..."

avusblue

Enlightened
Weird . . . anyway, just put "Randolph Engineering" in your Google search and click on the first return. That worked for me. The URL indicated is www.randolphusa.com, but going there directly didn't work . . .

Anyway, they're out there and open for business.

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input avusblue. As I have little to no experience in high end or good quality sunglasses, I admit that I really do not know what to look for. I agree that functionality takes priority over fashion, and if the advantage is great enough, I will certainly choose functionality. I will be sure to check out the brand that you mentioned, although I too am not able to access it at the moment.

Respectfully,
Dale

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I second the Randolph. I have worn them for 15 years. I have owned several pair as I pride myself in losing them. I have a brand new pair that a friend bought for me but he got the wrong size. Never worn, still have the tag attatched and come with the blue case. I was going to exchange them but if you decide you want a pair we can work something out. They are the gold (Navy and Marine Corps) smaller lens. (I need the large lenses) Rectangular shape lenses just like you saw Chuck Yeager wear with the bayonet earpieces. These were bought on base and are the real deal. I don't know if they are all that stylish but they don't go out of style and the lenses are very nice quality.

Here is an e-bay link to the exact glasses except mine are gold. The silver ones are for Air Force.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2812377669&category=15666

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I like my glass photo-gray (density changing) polarized Nikon glasses. I got them cheap at Sierra Trading post (.com) ($35) but haven't seen them there again since. Other places I see selling them are expensive, but maybe if you shopped around..? Aren't the Randolph's kind of brown colored? I like the color neutrality of my Nikons.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
ps - I did a search on ebay and there seems to be one guy who has posted his offer of "$240 Nikon Polarized Sunglasses" several dozen times -- it's a scam -- they all have plastic lenses! phooey!

ygbsm

Enlightened
Randolph's are the "real deal". The straight temples allow you to put them on and take them off while wearing an HGU helmet. A lot of fighter drivers wear them. As for style, however, some "cool" guys refer to them as a form of issue birth control, as in you're not going to get much while wearing them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

For optical quality (low distortion, etc.), it's hard to beat Oakleys, but they are pricey. The XXs are around $100 (own 1 pair). I like the Juliettes which have very durable cast titanium alloy frames (own 2 pair) and just got the titanium T wire 2.0s with clear lenses.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have heard that Nikon is out of the sunglasses business. That said, Sierra Trading catalog still lists them every time I get one. I wear Gargoyles. I got them after my then girlfriend came home with clear ones saying they used them in the OR for eye protection. The guys where I shoot all use Wiley X. I have had really good luck with Bolle's as well. I don't like to pay much for stuff, and some time ago you could get incredible deals on sunglasses at campmor.com (watches too) but all that stuff seems to have dried up. Bought three pair of Bolle's for $27. Lost all of them. Right now I wear Gargoyles Moto's. I used my glasses on my motorcycle, so I want something shatter proof.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Check out Polorized sun glasses

Hello Orcinus Orca,

I went to an optician and got a pair of optically correct polarized sun glasses. I even got to pick out a stylish set of frames.

I spend a lot of time on the water and they are great.

Tom

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Check out Polorized sun glasses

my first job that required me outside in the sun i bought a pair of oakleys and have been happy since. they are lighter than most and very comfortable. most of their line is beyond $100 though, but if you shop around on ebay emailing the sellers direct you can do very well.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

big,
Sierratradingpost isn't listing any Nikons in their online catalogue..the last time I saw Nikons in their paper catalogue, a long time ago, they were plastic lensed. I'm talking glass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

(now what happens if you click the reply button from the middle, not the end, of a string? - it goes on a tangent?)

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I love the Randolph's but if money was less of a concern I might wear Costa Del Mar's. I own a pair that is without a doubt superior to the Randolph's but not enough so that I choose to wear them. My wife wears then sometimes and loves them but I can't justify sunglasses that I am prone to lose, cost 4 times as much and are only slightly better than the Randolph.

If you are a cyclist or runner the Oakley's seem to be the glasses of choice. I'm not cool enough to wear those and frankly think people look silly wearing them with a suit or even slacks and a dress shirt. As far as Randolph's being birth control devices, I have seen just the opposite but it might just be who's wearing them (not referring to myself). If you have longer hair it probably won't be a babe magnet. The Randolph's are more of a professional's sunglass while the Costa's and especially the Oakley's are better suited for the younger crowd. For fishing the Costa's are hard to beat. If you are into outdoor sports the Oakley's are the champ. I must admit I have played touch football, gone running, played baseball, softball, golf, tennis, snow skied, gone fishing and hunted all while wearing my Randolph's and was not arrested or even ticketed.

I have one friend here in town that does all the "Ironman" competitions, even Hawaii. He is an Oakley nut and has countless pair, he swears by them. He also buys new running shoes every 3 weeks and has a $3,000 bicycle so I am not sure his vote counts.

Why don't you go buy 3 pair of $30 glasses and try them out to see what style best suits you. You can buy knockoff Oakleys and others to see if you like the style and the fit. The lenses will be cheap but it will give you a good idea of the frames.

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not cool enough to wear those and frankly think people look silly wearing them with a suit or even slacks and a dress shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, when wearing these... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
black_ruby.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
But there are rather "normal" Oakley's too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
platinum_gold_polarized.jpg

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the info. I think that I have decided on purchasing a pair of Randolf Aviators in matte chrome finish.

Thanks for the offer DieselDave, but I think that I prefer the look of the silver version.

Secondly, does anyone know a respectable dealer from whom I may pick a pair of these up? I have done a few google searches that turned up results, but there is really no way to tell whether or not the dealer is reliable or if their prices are reasonable in comparison to others. I have turned up prices of around $70 so far. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dale

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Dale,
Buy the ones on e-bay I linked to near the top of the thread, it ends in 4 hours! Guy has a good rating, you should be safe. $70 sounds high. The gold and the chrome are the same price. I think mine cost $36 on the base. When I first started wearing them in 87 they were $11. $50 off base sounds about right.

Good luck,
David

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Bart,
That second pair is very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I am still too conservative for them but they look good for everyday wear. Nearly all I see people wearing are the wraparound "go faster" looking ones and those do look silly (unprofessional) while wearing business clothing.

The first pair looks like something I had to wear in 78 when I tried out a tanning bed. I am not sure anyone is cool enough for those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
Diesel Dave,
That ebay sale certainly is tempting. However, I am not registered on ebay, and would prefer to make my purchase from a reputable dealer.

Respectfully,
Dale