Every Day Walking/Hiking Shoes

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
My shoes suck and I can't figure out what/where to buy some good ones. I'm sick of going to payless and getting cheap rubber that busts open after a couple weeks of use. I know there has to be someone here with shoe fetish, please help me!

I'm looking for a comfortable shoe that doesn't hurt my feet. My last pair of shoes are VANS. Those are nice but not what i'm looking for. I'm willing to dish out $100 on some good ones but i'm most interested in comfort and grip of the shoe. I live in CA but I go hiking with my friends/cousins every so often so I know this is important. Any/all advice is welcomed as I have no knowledge of shoes beyond the fact that they protect your feet.

THANKS!

EDIT: BTW, i'm male and if anyone knows a place near SOCAL (I don't really want to purchase shoes online) help me out!

:D

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would keep the VANS for everyday use since they are lightweight and comfortable.

For walking and hiking I'd buy a separate pair of walking boots since these will provide ankle support and waterproofness. You may be able to find a decent pair of walking boots for $100 on discount but you will probably need to extend your budget slightly. Bear in mind that walking boots will take a while to break in before they become comfortable. I don't know what's available in the US, but in Europe; Meindl, Scarpa and Berghaus are good makes.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Bear in mind that walking boots will take a while to break in before they become comfortable.

That's not entirely true. If you find the right shoes for your feet, they will hardly require any break in. I can only describe the feeling of finding the perfect shoe as 'it feels like your feet are coming home'. I had this experience with the Lowa Trekker (extra wide), which I use for hiking. But I've compromised on the Lowa Strato Lo as my daily use shoe. Light & comfy, and not too expensive (120 euro), while still very suitable for a good hike...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 You get what you pay for.
#2 When your feet feel good, you feel good.

I know you don't want to go online, but check out www.sierratradingpost.com Good specials and closeouts ( if the right size is available) on quality stuff.

For serious work boots, I don't shop. I just go to RedWing and pay the price.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a pair of Timberland hiking boots for $90 and couldnt be happier. For the money, they are great. Gore Tex in them is truly awesome went you are ankle deep or more in water.
I totally get paying a lot for a good pair of boots. I do. I can imagine they are just so much nicer, but I just could never get myself to pay $200 or more for a pair of boots I wont really use hard more than 3 times a year. If I had the spare cash though, I would certainly do it.

-C

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're walking off road wear boots that support your ankles to avoid ankle and foot injury.

what is your problem with shoes? can't find the right size, or what?

zappos.com has a million shoes to pick from and a good search system, you can even look for 'vegan' shoes...or 'usa made' shoes..

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your feet aren't too wide (they don't have wide sizes), you might try on a pair of Ecco hiking boots. They'll run more than a hundred, though they'll likely be more comfortable to most any other shoe. On a more economical level, I'd recommend New Balance over just about anything. They come in both length and width sizes. I usually get a 4E, when I buy New Balance. New Balance are made in the USA.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Enlightened
You might want to check out some Nike Shox. I think they might have some hiking models as well. They're pretty lightweight and extremely comfortable. I wear Vans and Chucks as well. But, they're not the most comfortable shoes in the world, at least for my feet that is. But, YMMV.

knot

Banned
I wear ECCO gore-tex shoes. They are great for anything.

*** I will add that I am extremely hard on shoes and usually return shoes within weeks due to soles becoming detached or broken threads. I have thrashed these ECCO shoes for several months - going off-road getting stuck occasionally - crawling under my rig to dig myself out due to being high centered, and hiking every single week and they still are holding up well.

Grip is fantastic and there was no break-in period.

Last edited:

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your responses. I'm looking for a shoe with a good sole (protection) as well as comfort. Vans are nice but I feel the sole isn't as rugged as i'd like.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it from an old fart who works long hours on very hard floors; wise up and baby your feet while you're young. Egads, my feet hurt now that I'm 50+ years old and I bought good shoes as soon as I got smart enough (still working on that) and when I could afford them (still working on that, too). Trust me, quality shoes are just plain worth it.

Rockports/RockSports used to be good for standing and walking around "town and country" (but it has been years since I had to wear dressier shoes on the job). Raichle makes great hiking boots for dfferent types of hiking/trekking -- they are the most comfortable footwear I own and worth every penny.

Another thought comes up. Most stores (brick & mortar or online) will not take back shoes/boots if you have worn them outside. Try them on and walk around in them a lot while you are indoors before you ever set foot outside.

knot

Banned
Most stores (brick & mortar or online) will not take back shoes/boots if you have worn them outside. Try them on and walk around in them a lot while you are indoors before you ever set foot outside.

With the exception: I have returned (exchanged) several pairs of shoes, even after a couple weeks of wear outside, at Footlocker because either some stitching became undone or loose or soles started to separate.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Check out Danners. . .

Shoes to me are like tires. Don't buy cheap! A great pair of socks, such as SmartWool--are a +plus also.

Enjoy!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Merrills. They are my favorite hiking boot and they make darn comfortable cross trainers too.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raichle GTX are my favourate soft hiking boots, with Merrill chameleons for everyday use.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoes to me are like tires. Don't buy cheap! A great pair of socks, such as SmartWool--are a +plus also.

Enjoy!

Definitely, shoes are the one thing that we wear that we deserve to splurge on (if necessary). Cheap shoes may end up costing you a fortune more in the long run! (medical bills!) I also agree with buying a great pair of socks. I've got several pair of Smartwool socks and they're wonderful, but my new faves are socks made of bamboo fiber. It's softer, more absorbent, naturally hypoallergenic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. I bought a couple pair like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280117753390&rd=1&rd=1 . The seller also has them in other lengths. I highly recommend them. With shipping, they're half the price of Smartwool, but, in my opinion, are better. Try 'em, you won't be disappointed. Also, if you can find bamboo fiber towels (made with at least 40% bamboo fiber), you'll notice that they're much softer than any other towels, as well as being more absorbent. (and also have the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of bamboo, of course, which I think is good for the bathroom, especially if you use them to dry off often) My wife used to rotate towels in the bathroom, but after I bought these bamboo towels, she just washes them and hangs them back up. No more rotating, because they are so much bettery than any other towel we've ever used. They're pretty hard to find, however, and can be pricey. We found ours at Tuesday Morning (I bought all three sets) for an excellent price. We first saw them at the county fair, but they were 2 or three times the price that we paid. Linens and Things did have one type, but they were only 20% bamboo fiber and weren't nearly as soft and plush as the ones we've got.

carrot

Flashaholic
Anything with "Vibram" in a yellow irregular octagon on the soles tends to have top-notch grip.

I have a pair of Merrill sandals, and despite their "extreme" look they are the best sandals I've ever had. I would consider looking into their shoes, though you'll pay through the nose for them. They will last, for sure.

For just walking around, I have yet to find a more comfortable shoe than Nike Free. They are much like the older "Presto" series of shoes that were lightweight and slipped right on your feet, but they now curve more with your step and are tied on. I really can walk all day with them. Don't think they'd be good for hiking, though.