Under car work light?

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
I've been spending some time under the car lately doing a little work and I can't help but think its a great place for a led light. I'm picturing something like a flat panel with multiple led's in it, maybe an adjustable prop in the back so it can either lay flat or be aimed at an angle at something. It would quite possibly be ac powered and focused on maximum output. Does anything similiar to this alread exist? :D

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current standard seems to be a flluorescent tube worklight, but I can really see the advantages of a flat panel of LEDs.

Are you thinking of building lights into a mechanic's creeper?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that. I really like that.

Two of those in series with an appropriate dropping resisitor will make a great 12V light for my top shed.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Central Led, http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166814

On sale $89.00 + $5.95 shipping. Regular price, $199.99

100ledcat3zb0.jpg

KingGlamis

Banned
I was impressed by the light shown below. While we are not a flashlight dealer, we do sell these work lights. Pretty darn bright!

LEDWorkLight.jpg

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Central LED worklight. It has a great even beam, strong magnets on the bottom and side that can attach to any steel parts of a car, an articulating neck that can be aimed anywhere and is rechargable but can also run on 120v with the supplied wall wart which has a nice long cord. It is a professional quality worklight, and a good value for the sale price. Check out its review at FlashlightReviews.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used an old 3x5mm LED PT Aurora headlamp for some years now when working under a car. However, any of the newer 4x5mm LED 3xAAA powered , relatively flat headlamps would work fine also.

Personally, i'd stay away from most of the Li-coin cell powered lights, e.g. the new Petzl e+LITE as they typically only provide 30min of very bright light output and then drop off markedly. Still better for use under a car than when backpacking though. The PTec Scout is perhaps the sole exception in my mind as its parallel-series 2x-2xCR2032 power source does provide longer brightness on its lower o.p. settings.

IMO, these task/proximity headlamps are much better than a droplight. Why? Light everywhere i look. No need to move the drop light around. though normally one doesn't really see much in the way of shadows when wearing a headlamp, on rarer occasions, i reach up w/a small Photon Freedom Microlight and more directly illuminate an out of the way area that i want to view w/o any shadows as might occur using just the headlamp.

I have a couple of used droplights for sale - cheap. Anyone interested? Nah, didn't think so!

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, my current solution isn't exactly short on lumens.

It's a metal cage lamp with a 150watt (yes, 150!) argenta (white) globe.

Argenta to reduce glare, but it's really, really bright.

Strictly 240Vac mind, but I would never be without it.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Central Led, http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166814

On sale $89.00 + $5.95 shipping. Regular price, $199.99

100ledcat3zb0.jpg

This is DEFINITELY what you're looking for. I have one and use it to work on the car all the time. It's fully adjustable and built to take whatever you can throw at it, with the added bonus of having very powerful magnets so you can get it right where you need it.

Oh... and it puts out LOTS of light in a very wide smooth flood.

:twothumbs

Marduke

Flashaholic
Big Lots has a LED worklight for $15 or $25 (can't remember) that tapers down towards the end. Similar in style to a typical florescent work light, but it doesn't have an extra outlet, which is why I don't own one. It's near the light bulbs and extension cords.

wintermute

Enlightened
Central LED Light is cool. TerraLUX WorkStar60 LED Work Light is cool too. Each would work in certain situations...as we CPF'ers say...

Buy 'em both!

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, the USDOT uses our (FoxFury) Performance and now also our Command 20 Tactical headlamps for inspecting the engines and undercarriages of vehicles. The same two lights are also used by bus and other mechanics.

The Command 20 is the more popular due to the shape of the battery pack and availability of modes.

A branch of the USDOT called the CVSA even carries these lights in its store.
http://cvsa.stores.yahoo.net/inhe1.html

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own a Performance (outdoor version, i guess it's now called 20wht+4grn - i think it was the only choice at the time). nice headlamp. currently, saving my shekels for a Performance Tactical version (24 wht LEDs) and for a Command 20. Your two PRO models sure kick out the Lumens (for an LED headlamp that is).

when working under a car, i use my very first LED headlamp, an old (takes a lickin' and keeps on lightin') PT Aurora (3x5mm wht LEDs w/3xAAA batts).

the Performance while nice is simply too much light, IMO (perhaps under some BIG commercial vehicles it would work better than the family car or SUV).

But y'all sure do make some nice headlamps over there at FoxFury (fantastic field of view when used in the forest). too bad more people don't know about them.

Last edited:

batvette

Newly Enlightened
I have the central led and a makita rechargeable 13w fluorescent, and have had a series of those yellow corded 13w fluorescents. Since their output and form factor are similar to the "bank of led's" in question, this input might be helpful.
The problem with the flourescents, and thus likely the bank of led's units, is that they always seem to be tough to get in position under the car, and their output seems to be glaring in your face as much as it is at your work. You can have a blinding, more lumens than the sun setup and light up the whole bottom of the car, but you know what? You still can't see up into the nooks and crannies where you're working, and it's worse dealing with too much light. I like less light but easily directed. Also, the central's small head leaves you just a small lens to clean, those others have a big plastic lens that in my experience doesn't stand up well to oil, grease, etc, as well as the degreaser you use to clean your tools and all the goop out of your hair. They quickly get brittle and break.
You may also consider those safety glasses with attached leds. We don't use eye protection on certain jobs we should, and lying on your back looking up a stuff we have to remove that's covered with oil, tar and road grit, is certainly one.
The headlamp sounds practical but every time I think of one I realize how goofy it looks having a light point everywhere you look, my neighbors would think I was nuts. Until it broke I wore an energizer headlamp around my waist!

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Thanks half-watt for the feedback.

You're right about too much light being simply too much in certain circumstances. Many have asked us to offer variable light intensities for this reason.

The Command comes in 10 and 20 LED versions. Each has three modes. With the Command 10, you can select between 2, 6 and 10 LEDs being turned on. With the Command 20, you have the choice of 4, 12 or 20 LEDs.

Full Command light details can be found at: http://foxfury.com/products/command/index.htm

The wider beam of light is preferred by mechanics as less light is blocked when they place hands or tools in front of their faces. This helps them to see into nooks and crannies.

Hope this info helps.