L0D CE unannodized surface inside tube

ns66

Newly Enlightened
Just received L0D CE nat, but a bit disappointed, the inside of the battery tube, close to 1/2 area not annodized properly, there's a white "dirt" border around that "naked" aluminum.

I emailed the vendor and was told he checked 3 all of them have the same problem? I know it's more cosmetic but this light is not really cheap and I consider proper painting is a given

do any of you have the same problem? or is this just for the nat color, or just from this particular batch?

I took some pictures but have no place to post them...

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

some birdie doo doo'ed in your light :sick2:

well, if you are not happy with the light then definitely return it but you would have to get another brand of light. did you have a second choice?
if you didn't have second choice and others have this cosmetic defect(i'm assuming it functions properly) then maybe you could learn to live with it?

Last edited:

ns66

Newly Enlightened
that's the thing, i don't want to cope with it, i can cope without the light, not spending $43.

if this is not the norm and definitely a QC issue, i'd rather return it

greenLED

Flashaholic
Looks like some type of chemical got in the tube at some point during anodizing. Is the metal etched, or could that simply be washed off?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anodizing is done in a few steps that all use liquid, Cleaner, Acid, Dye, and Sealer. The parts to be anodized are all connected to a wire and the put in the various baths. The parts are completely immersed in the various liquids. Bad anodizing will show up on the entire part, not just the inside.

The actual anodize is non-conductive. Some manufacturers machine the parts after they are anodized to complete the electrical circuit. Others plug or cover the areas so they do not get anodize on them.

It seems that the interior of the tube was intentionally left plain, they most likely plugged it.

I am most familar with maglites - if you look at any black anodized light you can easily see where the anodize was machined off to complete the circuit.