Local Wal-Mart has a bunch of new lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Just saw a bunch of new lights @ my local Wal-Mart.

Energizer 3W Rechargeable for $47 (I bought one)
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme Headlamp for $19
Energizer "Weather Ready" lantern with Detachable LED $???
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme 1W $20
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme 3W $25
Brinkmann 2D 3W Mag clone for $20
Brinkmann 2AA 1W Mini Mag clone $14

Also had all of the Mag LED dropins for $15

I've seen posts about some of these lights before, but this is the first time I've seen any of 'em out in the wild.

Roger

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Just saw a bunch of new lights @ my local Wal-Mart.

Energizer 3W Rechargeable for $47 (I bought one)
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme 1W $20
Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme 3W $25
Brinkmann 2D 3W Mag clone for $20
Brinkmann 2AA 1W Mini Mag clone $14

Also had all of the Mag LED dropins for $15

I've seen posts about some of these lights before, but this is the first time I've seen any of 'em out in the wild.

Roger

I was at my local Walmart recently and noted most of the lights listed. The $14 Brinkmann 2AA 1W Mini Mag clone in particular caught my eye. It had a pretty unusual LED. It didn't seem like a luxeon (or clone thereof). The emitter was pretty large and had a very prominent dome. IT ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE AN SSC SEOUL P4! I didn't purchase the light so I am in no position to verify this. But it it's true it represents an important milestone: The first high efficiency "Cree Die based" light in a big box retail store.

There was also a new Rayovac 1xaaa 5mm LED penlight w/ pocket clip for about $3. They are available in dark grey, blue and orange with nice brushed aluminum barrels and rubber trim. I did pick up a couple of these. The use of a 1xaaa configuarion (vs a traditional 2xaaa penlight) gives them a very handy overall length that is shorter than an average pen/penlight but still long enough to comfortably hold in one hand while operating the rear clickie switch. Light output on my two samples was pretty low with a purple-blue tint and the beam profile was that of a blotchy circle (not unlike the latest version of the dorcy 1xaaa that did away with a reflector in favor of an optic). Still for $3 the build quality is pretty decent and these might just prove to be a boon to medical professionals looking for a low cost LED based penlight for checking pupil responses and the like.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went and got two of those new lights. The Rayovac 1watt 1AA headlight and the Rayovac 3watt 2AA. Find my reviews in the reviews section of this forum.

Pistolero

Enlightened
Walmart KICKS A$$.
BTW, they are closing out on some of the older lamps and lights, but they were in a separate "closeout" aisle, fyi. I think I saw a Coast LED lenser in mine for $15.

I saw a handful of the lights listed in the root post and aside from the new Rayovacs, nothing had really interested me. (I am curious as to what emitter that Brinkman 2AA has). It's a good thing I decided to check out wal-mart anyway! :D

That thing was friggin cool. It's like a giant Egg. Design was similar to this but in the "Weather Ready" scheme of red & black.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=5
I noticed it had a "400 Hour Runtime" on it, but I think it was only for the LED nightlight or the satellite LED. I'm pretty sure the main lamp was a krypton bulb - PR type. Looked removable and swappable. :grin: The Detachable LED was saucer-shaped LED light, similar to the Coast UFO, I think. Interesting Idea.

I was looking forward to it, but kinda turned off by the runtime and construction of it. I was hoping a longer runtime, but since they went with 1AA cell, that was out. And the Diffuser, while sexy looking, didn't seem to stow anywhere and was left flapping in the wind. Prolly be the first to go.

But what I saw next made me mess my pants.
Energizer has re-introduced the 4AA Folding Lantern!!!
I FINALLY got my hands on one of these handy dandy little folders. You guys weren't kidding, it's surprising bright for being 3 standard (Nichia? maybe?) LEDs.
They also had a 2-in-1 LED light similar to an older model I've seen.

This newer 2-in-1 has what looks like a Luxeon LED.

This sucker is awesome and much brighter than it's older brother with the regular rounded LED. Not to mention how the beam is has a nicer hotspot with a decent amount of flood, whereas the older one had the bright orb with zero flood.

I don't have any good beamshots because my camera sucks and my skills as a photographer aren't all that great. Anyhow, it was nice to see some of the new stock at the walmart, now that they've dumped most of their MagLED stuff.

Thanks for the heads up z96Cobra

z96Cobra

Enlightened
But what I saw next made me mess my pants.
Energizer has re-introduced the 4AA Folding Lantern!!!
I FINALLY got my hands on one of these handy dandy little folders. You guys weren't kidding, it's surprising bright for being 3 standard (Nichia? maybe?) LEDs.
They also had a 2-in-1 LED light similar to an older model I've seen.

I forgot about those other Energizer lights. They had those too. I have one of the older folding lanterns with the cold cathode "bulb" in it (or was it CFL???). Then new one is LED based. Also, I saw an energizer folding lantern somewhere in a B&M that had fluorescent tubes and the thing was HUGE. It was almost comical, it was so large.

I also saw a Smith & Wesson 12 LED light with red/white/blue LEDs that IIRC was ~$20. These have been on the shelf for about a month now (@ my local store anyway).

Roger

flamanar

Newly Enlightened
How much did they want for the Folding Lantern? I noticed it comes with batteries (the ones I got from Target last week didn't and were around $7 each)...

thanks. BTW...I'M NEW!

FLAMANAR
...Energizer has re-introduced the 4AA Folding Lantern!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.