looking for led bulb upgrades

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
hi

im looking for led upgrades(standard flange and screw bases), my light system works at 6 V(D cells,it has a main light and a pilot light(miner style lamp)), i have found the MiniStar1 from terralux, thanks to let me know if you know other upgrades.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just answered another similar question here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169430
Also check out FLR bulb upgrade section
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_ledbulbs.htm

I thought the ministar 1 is a bipin drop in for a 2 cell minimag!
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_ms1tle4.htm
The BA-2 adapter is designed for the Ministar 2. I don't know how well it works with the Ministar 1.
Is your lamp reverse polarity that forces you to go to the Ministar/BA-2 adapter route?

There is also the Microstar TLE-20 though the module does not stay on the BA-3 adapter very well.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-10.htm

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
can someone tell me what would be the aproximate runtime with a TLE-1F(1 watt) from terralux being feed by 5 D cells on 6 volts?

Last edited:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
wich one is better The EverLED™ Classic White 1 Watt Side-Emitter or the TerraLUX TLE-1F? what does side emitter means?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
wich one is better The EverLED™ Classic White 1 Watt Side-Emitter or the TerraLUX TLE-1F? what does side emitter means?

i happen to own both of these upgrades, as well as the "high-dome" version of the EverLED.

you'll get just a bit more light out the TLE-1F. it's just a bit brighter when running off of a similar input voltage source. neither is exceptionally bright however. both work off of a wide range of input voltages.

SE (side emitters) versus "high dome" or "Lambertian" style emitters: side-emitters give a better flood type of pattern with little or no spot (the reflector too comes into play a bit here obviously). the "high-dome"/Lambertian give more throw with a hotter/brighter center spot and can (subject to the reflector being used in the host) sometimes have an interference pattern of sorts which produces alternating concentric circles of lighter and darker areas.

this is a bit less noticeable with some reflectors.

however, even the SE upgrade, in one headlamp i tried it in, produced a horrible interference pattern and the Lambertian version of the upgrade actually produce a more aesthetically pleasing beam pattern, but generally, in my experience, it's the other way around.

bottom line: do you want a flood of light output (go with the side-emitter), or do you want more throw (go with the TLE-1F)?

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the explanation, i'll go with the TLE-1F, it is for miner style lamp.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
i happen to own both of these upgrades, as well as the "high-dome" version of the EverLED.

SE (side emitters) versus "high dome" or "Lambertian" style emitters: side-emitters give a better flood type of pattern with little or no spot (the reflector too comes into play a bit here obviously). the "high-dome"/Lambertian give more throw with a hotter/brighter center spot and can (subject to the reflector being used in the host) sometimes have an interference pattern of sorts which produces alternating concentric circles of lighter and darker areas.

From what I've seen of side-emitters in mining headset reflectors, they give a fairly good spot beam, but do tend to end up with some light/dark rings around the central spot. Spill has been OK, but nothing remarkable.

The way the geometry works in the reflectors I'm familiar with (Oldham/Speleotechnics), being ~50mm dia, with the focal point 10mm from the front, with a Lambertian emitter all the light emitted between the central axis and 70 degrees off-axis misses the reflector completely and ends up as spill, and that's going to include the large majority of the light. (In a different-shaped reflector which could capture more of the light, a Lambertian may make a somewhat better spot beam than in a typical mining lamp).

Side emitters are supposed to dump something over 75% of their light basically sideways into the reflector, most of which should end up in the spot beam if the LED is correctly positioned.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've seen of side-emitters in mining headset reflectors, they give a fairly good spot beam, but do tend to end up with some light/dark rings around the central spot. Spill has been OK, but nothing remarkable.

The way the geometry works in the reflectors I'm familiar with (Oldham/Speleotechnics), being ~50mm dia, with the focal point 10mm from the front, with a Lambertian emitter all the light emitted between the central axis and 70 degrees off-axis misses the reflector completely and ends up as spill, and that's going to include the large majority of the light. (In a different-shaped reflector which could capture more of the light, a Lambertian may make a somewhat better spot beam than in a typical mining lamp).

Side emitters are supposed to dump something over 75% of their light basically sideways into the reflector, most of which should end up in the spot beam if the LED is correctly positioned.

Many thanks for the excellent reply. It clearly explains exactly what i've seen in a WesternRivers MityLite Caving Light (i use PR-2-Wheat adapter to hold the LED upgrade bulb). Your Post precisely describes what i experienced trying to match various upgrades LED "bulbs" to several headlamps and flashlights to obtain the best possible match in all cases (quite a few combinations, in this case, to say the least!!). You sure do know of which you speak!

I wanted the MityLite beam to be a "flood" pattern, but the SE did just the opposite as did the "high dome". Not knowing the specifics of the reflector design (thanks for the detailed explanation complete with numbers) i was initially surprised. Both upgrades worked fine and produced the expected results in some other flashlights that i tried them in.

there were some veiled references to this experience in my Post - they referred to the MityLite (sold as a backup caving headlamp - though, it doesn't really appear to be robust enough for Caving, but then i don't know anything about Caving!).

Many thanks again for the reply.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want it to be bright check this http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-6ex.html you can also do this to a minimag http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-5ex.html

Looking around for an LED conversion for a friend with a 6-cell diving light, I did find this review of the tle-6ex:
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/terralux.htm
which doesn't seem terribly flattering.

i've done both the these upgrades. they both really WOWed me! i don't consider myself too easily WOWed in most cases.

I have a 4D MagLED (not the Mag upgrade for an incand. 4D). The 4D MagLED is bright, but the 4D TLE-6EX (and a 6D TLE-6EX - have both) simply BLOW the MagLED out of the water, IMO. There is no comparison to either of the TLE-6EX upgrades i've done. The difference is rather startling. Mostly it's the overall light output of the SSC P4 vs. the MagLED. It's much smoother transition from spot-2-spill and the spill is so much brighter that it just makes the 4D MagLED appear anemic by comparison.

Perhaps this is a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Maybe my eye can't see the Lux Numbers difference in the little spot of the MagLED (which might be brighter? don't know. it is bright, but then so is the spot of the TLE-6EX), but the OVERALL appearance and brightness of the TLE-6EX (in both the 4D and 6D incarnations) puts the 4D MagLED to shame, IMO.

My impression is that it's like AAA-ball vs. the Majors.

Another's perception might be different. i should say that, from my backpacking days, i'm more of a "spill guy" than a "throw guy". i want enough light to throw out there for my purposes, after that i want it to be a BIG SPOT AND LARGE BRIGHT SPILL AREA. it doesn't help me to have a tiny spot that necessitates that i "chicken walk" - bobbing my head about like a chicken looking for blazes indicating turns in the trail due to the limited field of view caused by the tiny/small spot with a small and/or dim spill area. Another's uses of a light might be different and so having EXTRA THROW available, beyond what they might really think that they need, might be their PRIMARY consideration.

Likewise the TLE-5EX running on 2xAA NiMh blows away both the 2xAA MiniMagLED *AND* the 3xAA MiniMagLED (both MML's also running on NiMh) in terms of overall brightness and comparative beauty of the beam pattern, IMO.

It's really like night and day, IMO, even when comparing the 2xAA TLE-5EX with the 3xAA MML.

Now, the AuroraHotWire kit for the 2xAA MiniMag is brighter (with slight yellow in the light - it is, after all, an incandescent upgrade) and THROWS WAY FURTHER than the TLE-5EX, but you're looking at only around 30min burntime instead of ~3+ hrs on the TLE-5EX.

IMO, i'm glad to have both upgrades, i.e. both the TLE-5EX and AuroraHotWire (everything you need to do this upgrade is available at Lighthound.com), as well as the 4D TLE-6EX upgrade for the "Big Boys".

I should add that normally i don't run the full-size MagLite or the Mini for 30+ minutes continuously, like i would do for a headlamp (or now a hat- or head- mounted Fenix) when backpacking. however, i have now run the TLE-5EX in a MiniMagLite straight through until the light is dimming quite noticeably (hours later). I've done this a couple of times now with NO REST at 30 or 60 min. intervals (as is my usual practice thanks to a suggestion some years ago from a Caver) to allow the batts to cool (just did this yesterday evening and night). So, these shorter "runs"/use of the full-sized MagLite may make my results atypical of how another might use their Mag (i.e., hours on end with no rest).

Perhaps due to the shorter runs on the 4D and 6D, i haven't had any h/w (hardware) failures yet. Also, with perhaps 20-30 hrs (multiple battery changes of course; 20 is a real "low-ball" guesstimate here; it's certainly has more than 20hrs of actual use at this point in time) on the MiniMag TLE-5EX, i haven't had any h/w failures on it.

YMMV.

Last edited:

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
do you know wich emitter is on the TerraLUX TLE-1F? i will use it with a 3.6 V li-ion battery(11Ah), i was wondering how much current will the TerraLUX TLE-1F drawn.

arty

Enlightened
I have the EverLed side emitter in a 3D Maglite and the Maglight 3W LED in a 4D Maglite.
Both have Flashlightlens LDF glass in front. They both give a decent spot and wide spill that is useful for walking. Output is greater with the Mag 3W. The 3W Maglite has seen daily use for more than 2 months. I take it out for a night walk with the dog, and it is on for about 1/2 the time of the 20 min walk.
It dims a little by the end of a walk when it has been on alot, but is good for walking.

The light diffusing film glass makes for a very useful beam - wide and smooth, and the spot is still there for distance viewing. I don't especially like either drop in without the LDF lens, but with it they are both fine.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened

you'll get just a bit more light out the TLE-1F. it's just a bit brighter when running off of a similar input voltage source. neither is exceptionally bright however. both work off of a wide range of input voltages.

however, even the SE upgrade, in one headlamp i tried it in, produced a horrible interference pattern and the Lambertian version of the upgrade actually produce a more aesthetically pleasing beam pattern, but generally, in my experience, it's the other way around.

bottom line: do you want a flood of light output (go with the side-emitter), or do you want more throw (go with the TLE-1F)?

do you know what is the emitter of the TerraLUX TLE-1F (luxeon I , II) ?