Possible Alternative to Inova X1 gen2 ??

Pistolero

Enlightened
I was going to throw this into the X5 thread, but I think it may warrant it's own discussion. All this talk about the Inova X1 v2 vs the Inova X1 v3 has got me wanting yet another light. With the output vs runtime arguments, the X1v2 seemed like the better deal of the two. Heck I even went to Amazon.com in the hopes of finding one.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...s&field-keywords=inova+x1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Then I realized, I already have this type/class of light.
The River Rock 1AA Nichia light at Target. (Not the 1watt Nuwai clone)
It's a knock off of the Aurora Jupiter lights.
http://store.advancedmart.com/1junifl.html (closest example)

It measures 4-3/8" long.
The barrel is 3/4" wide, while the head is 1" wide.
It has a barrel mounted button for the switch and has a secondary strobe mode.
Similar to the River Rock 2c & 2AA lights, it outputs a giant orb of light with very little spill/flood.
Runtime (on the packaging) is rated at 30hrs
At my local Target, it's $12.99

I'd like to compare it to an Inova X1v2, but I don't have one.
Either way, I think it's a fair compromise for those who can't get their hands on a Inova x1v2.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if it uses the Jupiter or the Rigel? By the sound of the beam it sounds more like the V1 X1, but I think this light would be a very good alternative to the X1 at that price.

Pistolero

Enlightened
I'm not sure which LED it uses. Would I be able to tell by looking at it? "Looks" like a standard 5mm type LED. But I'm no expert at identifying it.

Do you know if it uses the Jupiter or the Rigel? By the sound of the beam it sounds more like the V1 X1, but I think this light would be a very good alternative to the X1 at that price.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Academy Sports and Target still have some of the gen2 X1's If you're interested in buying one to compare.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these 12.99 RR lights. I think it would make a great "examination" light for machinery or misc. building inspectors. Thinking about attaching it to my bike handlebar and using the slow strobe mode facing forward as visibility for oncoming traffic, and having a Fenix for actual headlight purposes. Would be pretty good if it lasts for 30+ hours on one AA in this way.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think a more similar, as in brightness and shape of beam, alternative to the X1 gen2 would be the Gerber Infinity Ultra. I think they are both using the Nichia CS and both use 1 AA. Price is pretty close, too.

Geoff

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Rigel and Jupiter are surface mount leds, which look nothing like the 5mm leds, so it's probably a 5mm Nichia. I'm curious if the runtime is when it's in strobe mode. Oh do you have to cycle through the strobe to turn it off every time?

Pistolero

Enlightened
I'm an idiot.
The RiverRock 1AA has the beam characteristics of the Inova X1 GEN1. I had my Inova versions mixed up.

BTW, the River Rock 1AA package says 30 hr runtime constant on, 60 hr in strobe mode.

carrot

Flashaholic
Gerber Infinity Ultra is a good alternative.

I happen to like the X1 Gen3 very much. I have used it extensively and the lack of runtime is a non-issue here. It runs long enough anyway. The beam is really nice, a big white flood.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those of you who prefer the X1 Gen. 2, Target should still have a few in stock. But once they're gone, that's it.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
the Fry's near me (Gwinnett place mall, Atlanta, GA) must have 20-25 x1's on the shelf most of them are the Ti finish and they are all the gen2 model.

Oddly, there was not a single "2.0 watt" gen3 package anywhere in the store.

Pistolero

Enlightened
the Fry's near me (Gwinnett place mall, Atlanta, GA) must have 20-25 x1's on the shelf most of them are the Ti finish and they are all the gen2 model.

Oddly, there was not a single "2.0 watt" gen3 package anywhere in the store.

How much are they at that Fry's?

I'm guessing that $20 is the upper limit for flashlights for a large portion of the shopping public. Why spend so much on such a small light when you could get a 2D Krypton Mag? Or one of those cuter, family friendly Energizers? And if size is the issue, the Dorcy Gels work just as well. Not to mention that the Mag solitaire and the Inova microlight are probably in close proximity and cheaper.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Pistolero,

I believe they are the same price as my local Target which is $19.99.

I know the micro lights were $6.99 which seems too high to me (but hey, I actually like my gen3 X1 so my perception is obviously flawed :whistle: )

Pistolero

Enlightened
I picked up two of the X1 Gen2s at Target.

This light is nothing like the River Rock 1AA Nichia.
It's smaller, has less focused output, but greater flood.
It seems like a dimmer light, but that might be due to the lack of a focusing lens.

I really, really like it. The light output is great for small closeup tasks. And it just feels really well made. (*knocks on wood*) If the runtime is as great as others say it is, then it's a great little light that gets the has it's own little niche. I bet this would make a great low-light torch in a RED LED config.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I know the micro lights were $6.99 which seems too high to me ...

Agreed. I would avoid these 2016(?)x2 cell lights even at four bucks a pop. It looks like a high quality push light, but the two pieces of translucent plastic latched together come apart easily. The push function also wears out fairly quickly after purchase in my experience, and the light can turn on by accident just sitting in the pocket.

I'd recommend a Photon or the generic lookalikes as an alternative.

redsun

Newly Enlightened
Hi Pistolero

I used to use 2 of the RR1AA lights on my bike in strobe mode. The collimating lenses and the out of phase blinking were pretty useful, and the strobe was a useable frequency. Some of the newer lights have strobes which (who knows?) might cause an epileptic fit (10-15 Hz). The Dexlight Sapphire does have a 5 hz strobe, but it's a bit of a PITA to access that mode.

But back to the RR 1AA: very easy to use, lasts a long time, I throw one into my bag as a backup light. It's <$13 at the T***** in Bellingham... :thumbsup: