P3DCE Cooking In My Pocket !!OUCH!!

fluke

Enlightened
Well tonight sitting in the car at work I notice my right leg is getting very very hot in my pocket area.
I put my hand in my pocket and my P3DCE (Back Up For FlashCrazy Modded Lenser) is F^*&ing Hot, almost so hot its hard to pick up, this was the whole light not just the head and the light is on, and on Turbo.

I can't believe just how hot it was, I had to put the Climate Control on lowest and place the light in front of the vent.
The cells were not that hot but the body of the light was very hot, shows the heatsinking must work.
I have no idea how long it was on.

Dobbler

Enlightened
In the software business we have a saying "Don't do that, it hurts!" :wave:

moon lander

Enlightened
Bummer i bet your LED lost at least a little bit of output from that much heat. how long was it on for and can you notice any difference in the output now?

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Well tonight sitting in the car at work I notice my right leg is getting very very hot in my pocket area.
I put my hand in my pocket and my P3DCE (Back Up For FlashCrazy Modded Lenser) is F^*&ing Hot, almost so hot its hard to pick up, this was the whole light not just the head and the light is on, and on Turbo.
That happened to me. At first I thought it was the stirrings of lust. At my age I should have known better.:poof:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your new nickname. :p :crackup:

180pxhotpocketlogodg9.gif

fluke

Enlightened
Bummer i bet your LED lost at least a little bit of output from that much heat. how long was it on for and can you notice any difference in the output now?

No idea how long it was on, must have been a while as it was like I had just taken it out of a cup of boiling water.

I cannot notice any reduction of output.

x2x3x2

Banned
It's alright to run the P3D CE on turbo on long runs, without any major side effects.
I've done a full runtime test on turbo mode without heatsinking, yes it does get hot and yes you will loose a bit of output (about 1.2% drop).
But the beam quality still remains the same, no color/tint shift at all.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Hehe I had the same thing happen to me.... er.. twice.. :sssh:

The first time was with a Surefire G2, and the second time it was a Pelican M6 incan. Don't know what's with me and accidently turning on incans in my pocket! LOL :shrug:

:)

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one Fluke !

Did you have anyone else in the car at the time?
I would like to of heard you explain what was going on in your pocket to a customer ........:eek:

fluke

Enlightened
Nice one Fluke !

Did you have anyone else in the car at the time?
I would like to of heard you explain what was going on in your pocket to a customer ........:eek:

No I had just dropped one off, but that would have been an interesting conversation, me wriggling in the seat, pulling out the P3DCE on turbo, turning it off, and throwing it on the seat as it was burning my hands.

Then stopping and whipping the cells out as quick as possible, as I was burning my fingers.

It was as hot as a teaspoon freshly removed from a cup of tea/coffee with no milk or cream added, IE: HOT.

wintermute

Enlightened
I can't believe just how hot it was...The cells were not that hot but the body of the light was very hot, shows the heatsinking must work.

After disassembling the Fenix and then extracting a driver out of the head of a LxD, I can say that the design of the Fenix is frickin' far superior to a lot of lights out there. The whole setup is good. Excellent product. I figure soon enough they will smooth out a couple of the bugs and even the SureFire guys might start respecting the light.

For instance, instead of the two settings being: "Low, Med, High, SOS" and "Turbo, Strobe"

If they would change it to "Low, Med, High, SOS, Strobe" and "Turbo" - then bundle in a tactical switch (a la Lumapower M3) and they could have the momentary which everyone likes so much (including me). Then you could still have a multi-stage for most situations, and a forward-clickie tactical switch for other times. I figure if someone is using a tactical switch, they would only be using Turbo anyhow...so I think it would be a good option.

I wish the hexagonal pattern of the body was used on the head as well to prevent the flashlight from rolling around when lying down. Then, they need to fix the flash before the flash.

With these changes implemented, they could really get in some more customers I think.

fluke

Enlightened
Can you believe this I did it again:oops:, this time with my L1DCE as the P3DCE and P2DCE are awaiting some quality Duracell's from e bay.

It was not as hot as the P3DCE but it was still f***ing hot, think I will have to lock out the switch with a half turn.
I am still unaware how I'm turning them on, must be as I'm putting my wallet back after putting notes away after customer has exited vehicle.