My first real world flashlight usage

Mad1

Enlightened
I work in a kitchen in a big resturant/hotel and the power went off for about an hour. Well it's hot enough in the kitchen with the air con but with that off it was x3 as bad.

Anyway they only had 1 emergency light for the whole kitchen and 2 cheap dull incan lights.

So I pull out my Fenix P1 and put it on the shelf above the sink bouncing the light off the white celing with an amazing amount of light to work with only needing to change the battery once. Changing the battery wasnt fun as it got very hot to touch.

But I really got a sence of how important tail standing really is.

I had my G2 with me too but I didnt need to use it. The P1 was more than enough.

I got some comments, some bad some good. But overall I think some people appreciated the light. :)

flash_bang

Enlightened
what could someone possibly say that was bad? Seems weird as you were helping them (I assume).
HAGO,
Flash

Mad1

Enlightened
I work with complete muppets. "what do you have a light for?"

Some people eh?

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm sure in a restaurant kitchen you'd have had something like a coffee cup available. So for a light that doesn't tail stand, just plop it into a cup, bezel upwards. That's what I did with my Arc AAA during the NYC blackout a couple years ago and it worked great. If no coffee cup, some other improvisation is surely possible. And even a tiny 5mm led like that (3 lumens or so) is enough to see around a room by.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Well it's hot enough in the kitchen with the air con but with that off it was x3 as bad.

+1

We've had the power go out at my establishment a few times and it goes from pretty hot to unbearable in a span of minutes once the fans stop running.

Good job with the P1! The last time we got hit all I had on me was my T3 and ended up sticking it in a pub glass to bounce off the ceiling. After everything was under control and calmed down I got my EOS out of the car and wore it while cleaning up. It really makes you respect the headlamp, depite how dorky it makes you look.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with complete muppets. "what do you have a light for?"

Some people eh?

didn;t you know? only the police and military need lights. You shouldn't have one. Civilians owning lights is just not necessary and yo ushould let the authority handle all the unexpected situations. Statistiacally You are more likely to blind yourself with your own light, so you are endangering yoruself and others by carrying one around. :poke:

Draz

Newly Enlightened
yea people don't understand why I just bought a L4, they are like..why would you buy a 160 dollar flashlight..the response is, "cuz I wanted a wall of light in my pocket":twothumbs

Wow, the L4 Really is a "wall of light" :drool::drool:

evanlocc

Enlightened
And if anybody asks you why you carry a light, just pick it up and turn it off, and say "that's why" in the dark.
Greg

Yes! it was not just dark but pitch dark while it went black out the entire housing estate for 5 minutes last Wednesday night.
I was at my dinning room and lucky enough to have a Fenix P1 at hand.

I slowly took it out and twist nicely to light it. If it feel off from your fingers at the moment ... Wow! that would be much much fun under the blind dark situation.

Yes! the P1 does getting hot for a while and well somehow too bright for in door at the time.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn;t you know? only the police and military need lights. You shouldn't have one. Civilians owning lights is just not necessary and yo ushould let the authority handle all the unexpected situations. Statistiacally You are more likely to blind yourself with your own light, so you are endangering yoruself and others by carrying one around. :poke:
LOL! Left-winger mentality at its finest.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Never mind that safe stove, that dangerous light could have burned you after it blinded you! Good thing you used it safely and with common sense. I think some folks didn't like the light because it caused them to keep working instead of taking a break. Great story Mad1.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
A guy posts about using a flashlight during a power outage and the ideological zealots make it political. Just can't give it a rest. :laughing:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
A guy posts about using a flashlight during a power outage and the ideological zealots make it political. Just can't give it a rest. :laughing:

the OP was looked down upon by his co-workers for being prepared. seems like a relevant analogy to me. We are all, at some point, judged as being paranoid/over zealous for carrying a tool (a light? a multi-tool, etc) or at least wanting to to prepare for the unexpected. the OP did, helped, and was questioned of his motives. it sounded like his contribution was received with at best somewhat not negative response. gotta love the 21st century. :wave:

On topic:
yeah tail stand is really, really important for an EDC light. it really makes the light user friendly

Last edited:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took Camelback, a keychain light and a full brimmed hat to Ozzfest last thrusday and got hassled by the security there. They said "what's? up with the hat and why the camelback?" I said "the hat is to stay out of the sun and the camelback is to stay hydrated". I could see the gears turning as they tried to figure out how I was going to use that to kill Ozzy from the stands. "what's this for" as they handled my keys with a $.50 cent DX coincell light. "in case it gets dark" I replied. "What do you guys have against being prepared?" They hassled my Girlfriend about her suntan lotion. I'm surprised they didn't ask her to drink it. I think people just aren't expected to EDC anything but their credit cards and ID papers.

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
...seems like a relevant analogy to me....

Of course it would.
69920722-O.gif

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I think people just aren't expected to EDC anything but their credit cards and ID papers.

Heck, every ballgame and pop concert I've been to, the attitude was, "Bring money and tickets, you don't need anything else." I guess I never made it to the concerts where they said, "Bring money, tickets, and clothes, and the third is optional" :naughty:

I had security hold on to my Leatherman at an amsusement park a few years ago. They probably would have wet themselves had I carried a Surefire. "But, but, it has batteries!" They're more sane today. I can even carry a sealed half-liter of water into the local baseball stadium now.