A little put off by SF.(Edit:) scratch that I was wrong!

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I went to a local shop ( Whittaker Guns) and they had several models of SF lights for sale. I got to plat around with several of them but didn't pay much attention to what model they were other than the G3, 9P, and several others that ranged in price from $100 - $230. I noticed that a few of them had bulbs that were not centered well and some of the LED modules were not centered well either. A couple were even a little tilted.
Is this abnormal? At least 6-7 lights were like this. I'm not putting SF down or picking on them JUst sharing what I saw today.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A little put off by SF

IMO lights are tools made to work and Surefire lights are at the absolute top
of the food chain.

They provide us the most extremely rugged, well built, solidly designed, long
lasting, and reasonably priced "Illumination Tools" in the world.

Made to work not sit on a shelf and look pretty.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have no idea how common that is, but I consider it mostly cosmetic.

The question to me is, does the light work as advertised?

For instance, my L2 has an awfully off-centered LED, and I considered sending it in. But, the thing has a perfect beam, a tint I like, and is BRIGHT; well over the advertised 100 lumens, with a perfectly round beam.

I prefer a tool that works over one that looks nice.

carrot

Flashaholic

Not centered bulbs is normal. The filaments are centered inside the reflector. Not the glass envelope. IMHO Surefires are among the best lights money can buy in the sub-$200 range. I treat my Surefires the hardest amongst all my lights because I know they can take a beating. They even look "better" when they are beat-up a bit.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened

I'm really glad for the input! It really eazed my mind on the matter. Cause I was really diggin that G3! They have it for $47.

what do you mean by the module wasnt centered?
I don't know allot about all of this yet other than what I've been learning here. I have two Dorcy Metal gear lights and a Rayovac Spotsman Extreme and all of the little bulbs (lamps?) are well centered. Several of the SF's were not. The output was pretty great though! Now that I know thats not abnormal or anything but cosmetic I'm cool with that.

My Rayovac Spotsman Extreme really out performed the G2 but the G3 was great! I appologize if I came off as putting SF down. That was not my intent. It just seemed odd to me. I appriciate the education from all of you though otherwise I may have passed up on the G3. Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had sticker shock at first, but then I started thinking about how much I pay for a hard drive, or a video card, and the prices on Surefires are starting to look a little more reasonable. I still like my Maxfire though ;)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have really been pleased with my G3. Make sure you get a pair of 17500's to make it a rechargeable setup. :thumbsup:

willrx

Enlightened
I have really been pleased with my G3. Make sure you get a pair of 17500's to make it a rechargeable setup. :thumbsup:

+1 to that.
Also, if you prefer throw over flood for your G3, try out the LA's from Lumens Factory.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2 LED is off center and has a faint donut hole. It doesn't bother me. A good friend borrowed it and installed alot of character marks. So now it looks like a tool!

My brothers L4 has a slight donut hole too. But you only notice it white wall hunting. But the head will run in full regulation on one CR123 cell! So its a keeper as well.

Most of my lamps lean to one side or another. But they still make clean beams.

My E2D has a noticable donut hole. But out in the real world you just don't notice it.

My biggest problem with my Surefires is trying to decide which one to carry!

We should all be so lucky.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My L2 LED is off center and has a faint donut hole. It doesn't bother me. A good friend borrowed it and installed alot of character marks. So now it looks like a tool!

My brothers L4 has a slight donut hole too. But you only notice it white wall hunting. But the head will run in full regulation on one CR123 cell! So its a keeper as well.

Most of my lamps lean to one side or another. But they still make clean beams.

My E2D has a noticable donut hole. But out in the real world you just don't notice it.

My biggest problem with my Surefires is trying to decide which one to carry!

We should all be so lucky.

Can't comment on the L2 since I don't own one. But I do own an L4 and an E2d. No donut holes from either one.