Mail order steaks? Ribeye or Tbone hmmm

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever mail order steaks? I've been craving a steak from the Big Texan in armarillo, went by there a couple years ago and now found out they do mail order steaks. Can't decide between the ribeye or tbone.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consumer Reports rated mail order steaks back in '03. But only filet mignon.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Find a local butcher who you like and go with them. There are very few reasons to do mail order. Unless you line in an area where good beef of not available you will do far better from a local butcher. I always love the internet steak places that use the term "fresh" all over there site. One of the top steak houses in our city dry ages their steaks for 2-3 weeks. The have to scape the mold off the outside before the trim them for cooking. Aged steak is the key to quality. It makes them more flavorful.

gorn

Enlightened
My father would buy mail order steak from Omaha steak company or something like that. They were good, but the best thing was getting the dry ice it was packed in to play with in the hot tub.

I think he paid way to much for what he got, but he was happy.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
The only time I bought mail order meat, I was disappointed. It was injected with tenderizer that affected the flavor, and it wasn't even that tender.

My advice: find a good butcher who displays his meats' USDA ratings. Even better: get to know a manager at a fine restaurant or in the food service business. These guys have access to aged USDA Prime meats even the butchers can't get, and at good prices.

As to cuts, hey, the fun is in the sampling!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
The only time I bought mail order meat, I was disappointed. It was injected with tenderizer that affected the flavor, and it wasn't even that tender.

My advice: find a good butcher who displays his meats' USDA ratings. Even better: get to know a manager at a fine restaurant or in the food service business. These guys have access to aged USDA Prime meats even the butchers can't get, and at good prices.

As to cuts, hey, the fun is in the sampling!

+1

I did the Omaha steaks thing one time. They had a pretty good first time offer, lotsa of different cuts, some chicken and fish. I would rate the beef as only fair.

I have found my local Costco has some of the best beef around.

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Good advice, thanks. I want to have some good steaks for my dad's birthday, I'll have to do some searching, all the butcher shops I can think aren't around anymore, but looking for some nice tender juicy ribeyes or t bones, the kind with all thier own flavor and you barely have to chew.

Latest posts