Fenix L2D-CE with smooth and OP reflector

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice that fenix-s**re stock L2D-CE only with OP reflector, so what is the different compared to the smooth one? is it going to sacrifice throw for better beam? I own the "old" L2D-CE and just ordered the "new" one but cant wait to know the difference.

Thanks.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix L2D-CE smooth and OP reflector

The subject should be smooth not sommth, sorry for the typo.

You can edit the title, keep scrolling down after you enter edit mode, it's the lower edit button under your sig line.

wintermute

Enlightened
Re: Fenix L2D-CE smooth and OP reflector

The textured reflector is a light orange peel IMO, it smooths out the beam quite a bit - and while it should effect throw, I'm not sure how much is lost because I don't have a smooth one to compare it. Even with the textured reflector, the light throws very well for it's size...I must say.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious about this also. All my Fenix lights have the smooth reflector. I have read that the people that have the new reflectors are pleased with the improvement in the smoothness of the beam. From what I have read it is not a full OP, but a light to medium OP, and does not affect the throw too badly. I am hoping to be able to get some of the new reflectors to put in my lights.

I notice that fenix-s**re stock L2D-CE only with OP reflector, so what is the different compared to the smooth one? is it going to sacrifice throw for better beam? I own the "old" L2D-CE and just ordered the "new" one but cant wait to know the difference.

Thanks.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I have the regular L2D CE and I recently purchased the L2D CE Q2 special edition mostly for the OP reflector. The beam is definitely much much smoother and I would characterize the texture as light to medium. Throw may be affected somewhat since the hotspot intensity is reduced. To my eyes, throw is not much affected; it's just that the hotspot is spread out. I guess over long distances, the effect may be more pronounced, but I don't really use my lights for throw, so I can't really comment.

If you're bothered by the ringiness of the smooth reflector, I think you'll be very happy with the OP reflector. Always nice to have more light around.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I received my Fenix L2D-CD with the OP reflector in the mail this past Friday. The OP reflector really smooths out the spill of the light compared to my other Fenix lights with smooth reflectors.

DSC00004Small-1.jpg

The granddaddy of Fenix lights (L1P) now has a big brother :)

DSC00001Small-1.jpg

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally received my L2D-CE nice beam with OP reflector, didnt notive any sacrifice in throw.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Just get a Q5 emitter and replace the one that was in there. The hotspot is now bigger, AND the same intensity at the same distance as before. I LOVE THIS LIGHT. I can light up quite an area with this at quite a distance.

The emitter was childs play to replace. Took me all of 15 minutes, most of which was spent holding the new one down with my thumb while the Arctic Silver hardened. I will replace it again when the R2s come out.