Inside a DX 30mW Green Laser

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure is this belongs more in the electronics section or the Laser section but here it is.

Curiosity go the better of me. Took my green 30mW Laser apart. Here are a couple of pics of the board.

DX 30 Mw Green Pot side

DX 30 Mw Green Switch side

Front of module

Inside Front Cap

The board has a couple of Zetex transistors to drive the LD, a dual Op Amp, a LM431 for voltage reference, and several passive components (resistor dividers, pot, caps).

I doubt this board would ever stay in "regulation" with 2x NiMH batteries. The LM431 is a shunt regulator configured for 2.5V and NiMH batteries would not provide enough voltage. I haven't done a full schematic of this yet.

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using Energizer L92s and a lens to focus the beam, I was able to get this to light a match. I also put a seperate IR behind the lens and it still lit the match.

I want to do some more schematic tracing to see if it will safely handle a Li-ion 10440 and a spacer.

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the link - it is the old model.

It was surprisingly easy to get apart. I was anticipating a much harder time.

I used the "wood trick" (see the pics) and a vise.
Clamp the tip in the vise leaving a little exposed (using the wood block holder).
Remove the batteries and reinstall the battery tube.
I applied a *little* heat with a minitorch to the exposed tip (bezel?) and just twisted. It took some very firm twists but it came out quite easily.

Paul

larryk

Enlightened
Thanks Paul, I have a 200 DX, it was very nice at first, but now it's beam is not as concentrated and does not have the output it had when new. When I get the courage I think I'll try taking it apart.