3AA nimh direct drive and a cree xr-e, will it work fine?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Hello, i am trying to find the answer using search but in vain.
So, will 3AA nimh direct drive work fine or will i kill my xr-e cree?
I am not sure if there is space to put on the torch a regulated circuit and i don't want to kill my led in the tests. I am not worried about non stable output performance, only about overheat problems due to higher ampere. Voltage should be fine.
I had read somewhere, though i cannot find it, that 3AA will provide to a cree led about 1A, as much as desired.So is this true?
Always talking about nimh rechargeable.Thanks!

dulridge

Enlightened
Hello, i am trying to find the answer using search but in vain.
So, will 3AA nimh direct drive work fine or will i kill my xr-e cree?
I am not sure if there is space to put on the torch a regulated circuit and i don't want to kill my led in the tests. I am not worried about non stable output performance, only about overheat problems due to higher ampere. Voltage should be fine.
I had read somewhere, though i cannot find it, that 3AA will provide to a cree led about 1A, as much as desired.So is this true?
Always talking about nimh rechargeable.Thanks!

Works for me - an old Nuwai rechargeable light - swapped the Luxeon for an SSC LED - no trouble lots more light.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
It'll be fine with decent heatsinking, the same being the case if you regulated it at a similar level. I've run a Cree with a fully charged 18650 so it drives it even harder and although it gets pretty warm, it hasn't been an issue with average heatsinking. I've ran it continuously till the battery was low (over 2 hours) and no movement, but more typical 10-15 minute runs and it definitely doesn't seem to be an issue.