Big initial disappointment in my Ultrafire C3

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there were battery size concerns but found out my plentiful and readily available Energizer 2500 nimh's will not fit in these. I've read of many other batteries that don't fit this light as well, do you know if Ultrafire is aware and has addressed this problem?

Was comparing it in 2x AA configuration using alkalines against my Fenix Lux L2D (non CE version) set in high. The C3 is marginally brighter but definitely not overwhelmingly so but does have decent although slightly cool, color rendition.

I looked but could not find so does anybody know if in review section or other areas, runtime plots have been created for the C3?

bspofford

Enlightened
Try unprotected Ultrafire 14500 Li-ion cells or get the 2XAA extension tube. I think you will then be happy.:)

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I'd really like to use my NiMh in mine ... but this probably won't stop me from getting one.

Vickers

Enlightened
I have a C3 (with the extension tube) and I can fit the following batteries in there:

- Energizer 2300mAh NiMH

- Sanyo Eneloops

- Ultrafire 14500s

- Panasonic 1950mAh NiMH

Those are the only ones I have with me right now (I'm at work), but I have not had a problem with any of my existing rechargeables.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Panasonic nimh 2300's just barely fit. This is the narrowist AA diameter tube light I have ever seen, both my Huntlights and Fenix's have wider diameters. Having said that, thus far it seems to be a decent light. I am wondering what the runtime is.

Vickers

Enlightened
Geepondy, the funny thing is the Panasonic 1950s I mention above are a snugger fit than any of the others.

If you happen to have the older Ultrafire WF-602A1, all of the various parts are swappable, and you can use the body from that with the Cree head.

LGCubana

Enlightened
Geepondy, the funny thing is the Panasonic 1950s I mention above are a snugger fit than any of the others.

If you happen to have the older Ultrafire WF-602A1, all of the various parts are swappable, and you can use the body from that with the Cree head.

In my experience, that is 100% false.

I purchased a C3, early on in their release. 1st thing that I did was try the body from my WF-602A1, with the head of the C3. Threading is of a different size.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1982858
I can (unfortunately) confirm both of the major complaints:

O-ring between the bezel & glass pops out when you tighten
&
No way, no how is an AW's protected, 14500 battery going to fit. I was hoping to use the body from the UltraFire 602A1, but no success.

The head does work on the body of my Luxogen LR5A-3W (1XCR123A). So tonight I'll try this combo with a freshly charged AW, RCR123A.

Atleast the beam is white.

Last edited:

Vickers

Enlightened
In my experience, that is 100% false.

:oops:

By jingo, yer right!

I had swapped the tailcaps, and used the extension tube on both, and I *thought* that I had put the head on the other, but I just tried it and it doesn't work.

Thanks for correcting the record.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In my experience:

- My Sanyo 2500mAh won't fit in the 2AA tube without a lot of force
- Output on 2AA is no different than 1AA, but much better regulated
- Output is just slightly brighter than L2DCE on Hi mode (not Turbo - no way near). Basically equivalent to L1DCE on Turbo
- Runtime on 1AA 2500mAh was 1hr 41min to 50%, with a typical runtime curve
- Runtime on 2AA 2500mAh was 3hr 54 min to 50%, but with rock solid output until the abrupt decline
- The tailcap is compatible with UF 602A1 body, but not the head
- The 2AA extension tube also works on the 602A1 (since it screws into the tail cap), and similarly more than doubles the 1AA runtime with equivalent output.

I'll posting a few review with the other DX single stage lights soon.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt, that is a very informative post, thank you very much. Can I ask how the light behaves as it goes out of regulation? Will it just go dim but still activate like some lights or suddenly just stop activating at all when the switch is depressed like my AA Huntlight.

LightScene

Enlightened
The Ultrafire C5 has a similar problem with a narrow 2xAA battery tube. Some of my rechargeables fit and some don't. But I'm still amazed and delighted at how bright it is with 2 rechargeable AA's.

Yapo

Enlightened
yeh my energiser 2500mAh didnt fit in my ultrafire C3 at first...but after it met a friendly piece of sandpaper it fits with no problems!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been able to use my Energizer 2500mAh in my C3, took a little wiggling and turning of the batteries, but they fit. Also, I ordered an extra extension tube for my Seoul modded WF-602A1 and it fits perfectly.

lamperich

Enlightened
Can I ask how the light behaves as it goes out of regulation? Will it just go dim but still activate like some lights or suddenly just stop activating at all when the switch is depressed like my AA Huntlight.

yes some torchs have problems if voltage is too low.
Would be nice to know if this occur on 1 cell.
specially with an alkaline.

I want to know what runtime can be expected with 2xAlkaline (LR6).

I guess if driven with 2 cells the risk is high that the weaker NiMH will be over discharged.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there were battery size concerns but found out my plentiful and readily available Energizer 2500 nimh's will not fit in these. I've read of many other batteries that don't fit this light as well, do you know if Ultrafire is aware and has addressed this problem?

Was comparing it in 2x AA configuration using alkalines against my Fenix Lux L2D (non CE version) set in high. The C3 is marginally brighter but definitely not overwhelmingly so but does have decent although slightly cool, color rendition.

I looked but could not find so does anybody know if in review section or other areas, runtime plots have been created for the C3?

My 2500 mah Energizers fit in my C3 with no problems. My Raovac Hybrid's and Ultrafire 14500's fit as well. I've had no o-ring problems either. The only problem I had was the PC board in the head was loose and rattaled until I tightened it. I just recieved mine a few days ago, maybe Ultrafire has made some moddifications to this light.

=================================================
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Jesus Christ

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, lightwalker, just received my light Saturday and definitely my 2500's Energizer nimh's will not fit. I wonder what the difference is? No other problems with o-rings, etc. and it's worked fine.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Wait, so 2AA's doesn't increase in brightness? What about 3xAA's? The 14500's are brighter in it however, right?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, lightwalker, just received my light Saturday and definitely my 2500's Energizer nimh's will not fit. I wonder what the difference is? No other problems with o-rings, etc. and it's worked fine.

I don't know, maybe it's because my 2500's are older. They are about three years old, I have not used them much since they were in a camera flash. Or maybe some lights are just bored out more than others. I bet if you wrap some sand paper around something round that would fit inside the barral to bore it out a little bit that it would fit. I have read about people using drimels and sandpaper to make protected 14500's fit.

Cody,

Photography Links
http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOvercomer02/PhotographyLinks/

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Jesus Christ

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, so 2AA's doesn't increase in brightness? What about 3xAA's? The 14500's are brighter in it however, right?

The C3 is only about 10 lumens briter on 14500's, unlike some other lights like the Dexlight which are much brighter on 14500's. The main advantage of using LION batt. in the C3 is when it is cold since lithium batt. do better/last longer in cold wheather. The 14500 batt have less copacity than nihm also.

Last edited: