Recommendations for a newbie in the UK

Jeronimo

Newly Enlightened
Hi, first post so be nice!

I have a Maglite AA, and am planning to get the Opalec mod as it seems to be very good. But I would also like a small and large torch so I have a nice collection.

For the small version, I am most interested in the Arc AAA or the LE model. I would appreciate some recommendations for a large model.

It doesn't have to be the biggest and brightest. Most important factor for me is cost, so looking for some good value ideas.

Other issue is that over here in England, we don't quite get the wide choice of flashlights as our American cousins. Any help on a stockist for the Arc AAA or the to-be-recommended large torch would be very much appreciated.

Jeronimo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'm really looking for the Arc AAA LE, but would be happy with the standard version I guess.

By large I mean a kind of Maglite 3D type thing, only with an LED. A nice big torch for when I need some serious light.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if you can get these in the UK, but they are very robust (physically), runtime is very good, quite bright, but lack the beam throw that you get with bulb + reflector:

Lightwave 2100: 4 white LEDs and 3AA

Lightwave 3000: 7 white LEDs and 3C

Lightwave 4000: 10 white LEDs and 3D

I have the 4000 and it is very bright. It lights up a tall oak tree, all the way to the top.

I am planning to get a couple 2100s. I also have a 2D Mag and currently have a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb in it ( www.techass.com ).

Welcome to CPF! You will find that we are a rather civil crowd here.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Jeronimo, and welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For a 3D-cell Led light, check out Electrolumens' Blaster II...
rolleyes.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jeronimo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. I think have narrowed it down.

Arc AAA LE - can't find this in the UK
Lightwave 4000 - called the Lucido C10 it seems over here - £50

If anyone can recommend some UK shops for the above, and maybe the Lightwave for cheaper than £50 I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again. You seem like a good group here!!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Lightwave 4000 on ebay

Hello Jeronimo,

I purchased a Lightwave 4000 for $38 on ebay, but then there is shipping...

Tom

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
Jeronimo,
I bought an Arc AAA from Farm Base and introduced the Opalec NewBeam to 7DayShop!
I recommend the Streamlight 4aa 7 LED. Excellent, loads of light, but not too big. I got mine from Traser. I paid about £25 but I see they are now £39.95!! A bit steep.
I believe that Ferno are the UK distributor for Streamlight.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If value is important... if you can get Princeton Tec lights, I often regard them as value champs; well built, durable and optimally engineered with a great warranty!

PT Attitude...my favorite of all my lights! Good for 95% of usages.
PT Rage...$9 in the states and REALLY BRIGHT for its size.
PT Surge...REALLY BRIGHT & long throw plus runs on 4 or 8 AAs (for longer life).