P60 Drop-Ins: The Wave of the Future?

grnamin

Enlightened
...I would like think so:

1) Unlimited upgrades - as manufacturers come up with better LEDs, drop-in makers can produce better modules. We purchase them, insert them into our lights, and, voila! Upgrade!

2) The drop-ins can fit in a variety ofl lights. Who's to say that someone doesn't come up with their own custom drop-in platform?

3) Innovation - we now have a drop-in capable of multiple light levels with the introduction of the Wolf Eyes Cree 4-mode model

4) Reparability - if, for some reason, your drop-in fails, you don't have to send the whole light back, just the drop-in. You can always slap another one in. Who doesn't have just one drop-in here anyway? :D

5) Price - drop-ins are cheaper than a whole light. :)

Ace12

Enlightened
What is the best p60 drop in available right now, as far as output and run times? I am, thinking of getting one for my G2

Daekar

Enlightened
What is the best p60 drop in available right now, as far as output and run times? I am, thinking of getting one for my G2

Brightest is Gene Malkoff's P60 dropin @ 240 emitter lumens with about 2-3 hours fully regulated runtime on 2x123a. Will also run on 2xRCR123a I've heard, although I haven't tested that.

The WolfEyes dropins are also well thought of, especially because they will take 18650 or 17670 batteries, depending on the host light. They supposedly come in at around 170 lumens.

bspofford

Enlightened
I own a lot of high-end lights, but even the best made light is subject to obsolescence related to rapidly improving technology. I recently bought a LumaPower M1 for $90 with a CREE P4, but I know that Q2, Q5 and Rebel 100 emitters are going to make it obsolete soon. I don't do emitter mods and realize that to do it right would probably require a new reflector and circuit board. My first response was to go with cheap lights having new emitters, but then I discovered that the P60 modular design offers the best of both worlds. I can have my premium flashlight body and periodically upgrade it with the latest and greatest modules. I can also have different modules for different purposes and use them in the same light since popping them in is very simple. I recently put Dereelight's new 5-mode Q2 module in my older v.1.0 CL1H body for about a third the cost of a new light. This is the way to go! Wouldn't it be nice if they would do something similar for stereo systems and digital cameras?

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
There was another thread about the same thing recently. It seems many people have reached the same conclusion. After owning a few lights and selling most of them off I've found that all I really need is a D26 host (SF G2) and a Maglite for hotwire mods. That way I can keep my collection nice and small without limiting my options.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen occasional postings indicating that the P60 fits some lights other than the Surefire ones it's designed for. If so, is there a thread listing the lights which the P60 module fits?

c_c

bspofford

Enlightened
If you are talking about drop-ins in general, that would include Malkoff's SSC P4 custom drop-in for the Mag and similar products. But what we're talking about here is an evolving industry standard P60 module that works in many different brands and models of lights. I am probably omitting some manufacturers, but I believe that Surefire (6P/9P/C2/G2), Wolf-Eyes, Huntlight (FT01PJ), Dereelight (CL1H), and Ultrafire (Alpha C-1/502B) all make P60-compliant modular lights. It seems to me, that a consumer can protect his $100 or more investment in a beautiful HAIII body by buying one that can be upgraded for between a quarter and a third the cost of a new light. Moreover, you can have a multipurpose 18650 light with a floody P4 beam one minute then convert it to a Q2 thrower the next. This "open architecture" is definitely the wave of the future.

boosterboy

Enlightened
Brightest is Gene Malkoff's P60 dropin @ 240 emitter lumens with about 2-3 hours fully regulated runtime on 2x123a. Will also run on 2xRCR123a I've heard, although I haven't tested that.

The WolfEyes dropins are also well thought of, especially because they will take 18650 or 17670 batteries, depending on the host light. They supposedly come in at around 170 lumens.

Uhh, 240 lumens that's what the SSC emitter is capable of.

Not actual output of the drop-in.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are talking about drop-ins in general, that would include Malkoff's SSC P4 custom drop-in for the Mag and similar products. But what we're talking about here is an evolving industry standard P60 module that works in many different brands and models of lights. I am probably omitting some manufacturers, but I believe that Surefire (6P/9P/C2/G2), Wolf-Eyes, Huntlight (FT01PJ), Dereelight (CL1H), and Ultrafire (Alpha C-1/502B) all make P60-compliant modular lights. It seems to me, that a consumer can protect his $100 or more investment in a beautiful HAIII body by buying one that can be upgraded for between a quarter and a third the cost of a new light. Moreover, you can have a multipurpose 18650 light with a floody P4 beam one minute then convert it to a Q2 thrower the next. This "open architecture" is definitely the wave of the future.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I have half a dozen P60 lights and love this concept.

bspofford

Enlightened
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I have half a dozen P60 lights and love this concept.

Dear Phaserburn, the following manufacturers (in alphabetical order) make P60 lights:

Dereelight
Huntlight
Pila
Surefire
Ultrafire
Wolf-Eyes

all make P60 compatible lights. Can you add to the list?

Also, the same list manufactures P60 modules but other modules are also available with brand these brand names:

DX
X-Alpha

Can you add to this list too?:twothumbs

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Phaserburn, the following manufacturers (in alphabetical order) make P60 lights:

Dereelight
Huntlight
Pila
Surefire
Ultrafire
Wolf-Eyes

all make P60 compatible lights. Can you add to the list?

Also, the same list manufactures P60 modules but other modules are also available with brand these brand names:

DX
X-Alpha

Can you add to this list too?:twothumbs

I can also add Brinkmann to the list of lights. If you remove the incan module, the LX accepts P60 modules. One of the only polymer P60 lights I can think of.

bspofford

Enlightened
Manufacturers of P60 lights:

Brinkman (LX)
Dereelight (CL1H)
Huntlight (FT01PJ)
Pila

Surefire (6P /9P /C2/G2)
Ultrafire
Wolf-Eyes

P60 Modules:

Above Manufacturers +
DX
Malkoff
X-Alpha

big beam

Enlightened
I've been watching this P60 drop-in thing also.Do the drop-ins move heat to the light well.What I mean is the drop-in a snug fit ?Do you have to use thermal grease or can you put them in dry?I think it would be nice if someone started a sticky with lights they work in and the drop-ins currently available with some of their specs.Don't look at me it took me 10 mins. to type this:shakehead
DON

SaVaGe

Enlightened

i just got done putting in the P60 Malkoff...all i can say is WOW!....i compared it to my U2, Mag with terra lux and all i have to say is this drop in impressed me! im a very hard person o be impress by a product. GENE thank you!! you do an outstanding job!!!!

also, Gene's P60 drop in is Waaaayyyyyyyyyy brighter than U2 and MAg Terra lux and now my M2 with P60 drop in is my favorite light out of 19 lights i have (i havent tried my novas yet still in the box):twothumbs

bspofford

Enlightened
I've been watching this P60 drop-in thing also.Do the drop-ins move heat to the light well.What I mean is the drop-in a snug fit ?Do you have to use thermal grease or can you put them in dry?I think it would be nice if someone started a sticky with lights they work in and the drop-ins currently available with some of their specs.Don't look at me it took me 10 mins. to type this:shakehead
DON

My list above is an attempt to gather the information that we can all use about manufacturers of lights and modules. Although my oldest P60 modules have aluminum slugs threaded into an aluminum mirror, the lastest seem to have brass or copper slugs that sit in a 1.5 cm deep threaded recess in the heads of various lights. It would make sense to use thermal grease here if you run your lights for long periods and don't swap modules often. Some lights like my Dereelight CL1H have a spacer between the bottom of the module and the battery chamber that would allow the thermal paste to be contained. Some like the Ultrafire 502B used to have a cheap insert that was removed after some complained that the contact at the + end of the battery was lousy. Thermal paste without an insert/spacer would not be practical.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I've seen occasional postings indicating that the P60 fits some lights other than the Surefire ones it's designed for. If so, is there a thread listing the lights which the P60 module fits?

c_c

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

This really ought to be sticky; it seems like I quote it 3 times a week.

I suspect as LED LA's becomre more popular, they'll show up here or in a similar comprehensive thread.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I switched my EDC over to a surefire 6PD, from a surefire L4, JUST to take advantage of the new LED drop ins.

The L4 is nice, but there aren't a lot of upgrade choices for it.

When ANY company makes a LED drop in.. they make it for the 6P FIRST.

Then, When the R5 bin is out.. I can drop that in just as easily.