• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired **SOLD**Quad Q4 2C Mag HA Shark/pot, beamshots added

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just built this light and am very happy how it turned out.

Hardware:
- Mag 2C HA Natural host
- 4 X Cree XR-E Q4 WH, nice warm tint, great outdoors
- 4 X McR19XR w/ Mirageman's centering rings
- AR coated UCL
- Shark driver with dedicated heatsink
- logarithmic pot, metal bushing
- Alum PXR heatsink
- Custom 2-tone brass/alum low profile knob w/ set screw and O-rings
- Nylon cell adapter tube fits 18xxx Li-ion cells

Specs:
- Vf of the string was measured to be 13.2V @ 350 mA, and 14.7V @ 1A
- Current to string on hi measured 930 mA, adjustable from 0
- Light accepts 3 X CR123, 3 X R123, 2 X 17500, and 2 X 18500. With a Mag of the Ring kit or a deep tailcap (not included), 2X 17670 or 2 X 18650.

Build details:
- Emitters leads were bench soldered before thermal epoxying to the sink
- Head was epoxied to the tube, and Artic Alumina used generously between the PXR and head
- Pot epoxied into tapped hole
- Tailcap spring modded for less and more central spring pressure
- Solder blob on (+) terminal to contact flat-topped cells

Performance:
- This light throws very well. Lux @ 1m measured 13,800. By contrast a Quad-SSC P4 USWOH I recently built with McR20S' and similar running gear measured 9250.

Flaws:
- The only flaws are cosmetic anno blems. The most noticeable one is on a head fin and pictured above. There are some others shown at the top of that picture, but the larger ones at top are dust and dirt. The body has small specs on it as well, also pictured. You can see a black spot at the rear of the button recess - that's just a layout dot from a marker.

$375 shipped priority US, international additional at cost. (2) new AW 18500's and (2) charging magnets available for an additional $15. Payment by PayPal cash or credit, or MO.

EDIT: By request I'm adding some beamshots with other reference lights. All taken with white balance set to sunshine, F3.5, 2sec. The little pine tree at right is at 20', the trio of small pines in the distance about 125', and the forest behind 175'.
Left is a SF M6 w/HOLA, center is my Quad SSC P4 USWOH Shark/pot, and at right is the light for sale, Quad Q4.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Re: Quad Q4 2C Mag HA Shark/pot

Very impressive mod. :thumbsup:

A few queries:-

Would 2 AW lion C-cells fit?
If not which battery config. would you recommend as the most suitable?
What would you estimate is the total lumen output on max.?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very impressive mod. :thumbsup:

A few queries:-

Would 2 AW lion C-cells fit?
If not which battery config. would you recommend as the most suitable?
What would you estimate is the total lumen output on max.?

The nylon cell adapter is removeable, and the body is stock length. From my understanding the Li-ion C cells are a bit longer and a spacer is available from AW that would allow them to work.

I'm not sure on the lumen output, but with each Q4 seeing 930 mA, I'd guess approx 800 bulb lumens, maybe more.

All the cell configurations are suitable. Primaries have some practical advantages, but 2 X 18500 runs great, and I'll bet 2 AW C cells would really be nice, but I don't have any.

pete7226

Enlightened

so even though it has slightly smaller reflectors, it throws better than the mcr20 build you did?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

so even though it has slightly smaller reflectors, it throws better than the mcr20 build you did?

Most definitely. It has a tighter and much brighter spot. The Quad-SSC has a wider beam, and softer spot, but this light has noticeably more throw, more overall lumens, and a warmer tint which gives better perspective outdoors.

A seat of the pants observation is that when I use my M6 w/HOLA outdoors, things appear closer. This light gives the same impression whereas the Quad-SSC does not.

Another note is that the blemishes in the finish are more pronounced in the pics and not as noticeable in hand.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quad Q4 2C Mag HA Shark/pot, beamshots added

sometimes i wish i made more money...

Latest posts