Looking for a flashlight...

MKatzpp

Newly Enlightened
I read this forum non-stop but rarely post. almost a year ago now i bought the SF kroma and while i loved the flashlight when i first got it, i find myself using other flashlights over it now. either more powerful flashlights like the sf u2 or the lumapower m1 or much less powerful flashlights for dimmer needs. i still really like the k2, but only use it for the blue/red aspect these days.

i was wondering if someone could suggest a multi color flashlight (preferable smaller or lighter than the K2) that has somewhere around 4 colors (green, blue, red, white, maybe 1 more if possible?). i'm sure there are lots of gimicky type lights out there but would wants something sturdy and long lasting with good runtime and power (lumens) output.

TIA

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Coast V6 Recon model - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green LED. And 3 white LEDs. All in a pocket-sized tube with 4 small buttons wrapped around the light near the head; one for each color. The white and red LEDs work well. You get rings with the blue and green LEDs. But nothing major. Comes with a serviceable belt pouch.

Found mine at Radioshack for $40.

Pistolero

Enlightened
Coast V6 Recon model - 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green LED. And 3 white LEDs. All in a pocket-sized tube with 4 small buttons wrapped around the light near the head; one for each color. The white and red LEDs work well. You get rings with the blue and green LEDs. But nothing major. Comes with a serviceable belt pouch.

Found mine at Radioshack for $40.

Oh man, that *IS* awesome. I'm a sucker for multicolored lights and that one looks great. What are your impressions of the light? How do you like it? Is it worth the $40? Lanyard?

Coast lights seem like they're really great, but the cost on some of them seems high for the product. :|

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh man, that *IS* awesome. I'm a sucker for multicolored lights and that one looks great. What are your impressions of the light? How do you like it? Is it worth the $40? Lanyard?

Coast lights seem like they're really great, but the cost on some of them seems high for the product. :|

Time for a mini review:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as cost is concerned, you hit the nail on the head. Despite being quality lights, they are a bit overpriced. But not so much that you wouldn't want them, based on that alone. It's not a forty-dollar light, but it comes close enough that I still recommend it. It does come with a lanyard. One of those ever-more-common types that attaches through a tiny hole in the tailcap section of the light, with a very thin piece of tough string that you loop through the hole. It's strong enough to get the job done.

This particular Coast model comes with a few accessories. You get a spare set of 3AAA batteries. (Yup, the light uses one of those 3AAA battery carriers). A belt pouch with velcro flap. A small carabeaner clip. And the lanyard. None of the accessories are what I'd call high-quality, but they're also not what I'd call cheap either. The belt pouch for example is adequate if you want to EDC the light on your belt.

This is also a tough light. Solidly built. The checkering is shallow. Seems to be just good enough that you'll hold onto the light under normal circumstances. There's no lens. The reflector literally surrounds the LEDs. When you gently put your thumb on each button that controls a different LED color, you notice just the tiniest bit of play. However, the tiny buttons are not raised above the barrel too high. And they're not flimsy. A deliberate press is needed to turn the light on. The buttons are color-coded. Except for the black one that controls the 3 white LEDs. The black button also features shallow checkering. The others are smooth. This means that if you memorize which colored switch is to the left and right of the black one, you can turn on any of the four colors without looking down at the light; just by feeling for which button is checkered. (The last button will be directly under the black one). The light lacks a momentary feature. The tiny buttons, and their location, also means that this isn't a tactical light. But it's definitely a good General Use light that is small enough to EDC, and provides 4 different color options.

The 3 white and 1 red LEDs work the best. The shape of the beam from the 1 blue and 1 green LEDs are a bit mishapen. Definitely not circular in appearence. Those two colors also have dark rings, and just a bit of a dark spot in the center. But nothing major. If you need a small light with plenty of throw, this isn't it. The light does compete well with other multi-LED lights that are similar in size. But the Coast Recon model is the only one I know that has so many color options. I definitely like it. For my needs, not powerful enough to be a primary EDC. And, I wish it didn't use a battery carrier. Still, along with being just a bit overpriced, those are the only negative things I can say about the light. Best way to describe it is a Poor Man's Mil-spec Kroma with quite a few less lumens, but in a more compact size.

I give it..... :twothumbs

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though it's rarely mentioned on CPF these days Eternalight has a multicolor LED light.I believe it is called the Rave'n II(for the party I guess).No white on this light but it is supposed to have multiple modes.About $40 dollars, probably a little pricey for 5mm LEDs.Not anything like a Kroma but Eternalights are supposed to be good quality.You would have to have a 2nd light with you for white but you are a flashoholic after all. :whistle:

MKatzpp

Newly Enlightened
at least the suggestions are rolling in now. for a while i was disappointed thinking monocrom was the only one who was going to respond. assuming people dont have other solid suggestions for an edc size multi-color light i'm actually leaning towards that thinkgeek one. its the cheapest and has the most colors (just an additional novelty really). there is a picture of the color beam illuminations under "additional images" and those pics make it look like a solid buy, especially for $25.

the only other one i'm considering is the radio shack light which also seems to be the next best. the biggest reason i'd buy that one is the fact that radio shack is around the corner and it wouldn't take a week to get my new toy. sad rationale, very very sad...

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Though it's rarely mentioned on CPF these days Eternalight has a multicolor LED light.I believe it is called the Rave'n II(for the party I guess).No white on this light but it is supposed to have multiple modes.About $40 dollars, probably a little pricey for 5mm LEDs.Not anything like a Kroma but Eternalights are supposed to be good quality.You would have to have a 2nd light with you for white but you are a flashoholic after all. :whistle:

My son had the original Rave'n. I think he got it for a birthday present in 2001-2 or so. It was really more a toy than a light, especially back then when colored LEDS were novelties. It had a pretty complicated UI, so he usually found a chasing or blending pattern and just left it there.

PS - Did anyone else read "Looking for a flashlight" and think, "Well, aren't we all?"

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats not right with the SF Kroma? I would imagine having 2 stage, multiple coloured leds would be sufficient for your needs. It it the bulk? Output?

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Might try one of these. Meets what you are asking for at a good co$t. The lights work pretty well and it feels solid. The switch seems a little weak though.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd stay away from the coast. its a piece of crap. i owned one for a while. then it broke... i just chucked it. a waste of money i'd say, and it was really dim.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's just more colors you want, there's the Kroma Mil-Spec... :whistle:

Adds a green and IR...

However, all the color modes are just one-stage, the green is rather dim, and you'll need night vision equipment to really use the IR.

Re: Coast and Zweibrueder (the German manufacturer that originates a lot of Coast lights): I have regretted every single buy of them. Overpriced, flimsy feel, low performance.

The Eternalights are pretty nice, but have some serious kinks that pushes them into a weird niche... like the not really accessible UI, unusual shapes, complicated battery change, 5mm LEDs only. I'm not really bashing them, they're pretty nice, but I haven't found the right use for them. Right now they're emergency BOB lights for me.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
why limit yourself to just those colors?

pick up the full spectrum of Photon Freedom Microlights and you'll have

red, orange, amber/yellow, green, blue, turquoise [very nice], purple, and of course, white (2x bright white LED). there's also IR & UV.

not much throw, but you'd be all set for a 'Rave'.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a bit surprised at the negative comments about Coast lights. Obviously, I wouldn't put their lights in the same class as Surefire. And individual experiences vary. I've only owned 3 Coast models myself. But found each one to be reliable.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit surprised at the negative comments about Coast lights. Obviously, I wouldn't put their lights in the same class as Surefire. And individual experiences vary. I've only owned 3 Coast models myself. But found each one to be reliable.

have (or have owned) three different coast headlamps. have since added two coast flashlights: digitac I and digitac II - very nice light output, beam pattern, and burntime for single-AA batts, IMO. Small, light, fairly robust - what's not to like? Price is 'ok' - not spectacular. I've purchased mine "On Sale", so the price was really, IMO, quite reasonable for what i was getting.

Both excellent flashlights, IMO. the headlamps were just 'ok' (3xAAA with 1.5W LEDs doesn't cut it for burntime). the new Revolution headlamp however, is another story - infinitely (within its power range) adjustable light output = very nice indeed, IMO.

one of the digitac I's came with a defective tail cap switch.

other than these minor 'crabs', the flashlights and the Revolution headlamp are indeed very nice, IMO.

oh,...just remembered...had a Triplex V2 (i think it was called, 3x5mm LEDs powered by 3xN batts). damaged the LEDs a bit, "playing", so to speak, around with it (over current condition. don't ask!). now, their light output is much dimmer. "my bad", as they say.