Guess this flashlight...

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
It's a Black & Decker version of a M@glite. It uses the 3.6v rechargeable VersaPak batteries. The really unusual thing is the construction. The body is made up of two separate pieces, the tube and the switch housing. The head is a separate piece but fixed onto the body. The bezel ring turns for spot to flood. The tail cap encloses the end of the battery pack, no spring needed since both contacts are on the other end of the pack.
A heavy duty light, but just average incan performance since the bulb voltage has to be fairly high and the batteries have usually self-discharged a bit when you need the light.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm...... looks like the Buck Rogers Laser Master Series 1.

Don't I wish!!! :nana:

Originally posted by RebelXTNC:
It's a Black & Decker version of a M@glite. It uses the 3.6v rechargeable VersaPak batteries. The really unusual thing is the construction. The body is made up of two separate pieces, the tube and the switch housing. The head is a separate piece but fixed onto the body. The bezel ring turns for spot to flood. The tail cap encloses the end of the battery pack, no spring needed since both contacts are on the other end of the pack.
A heavy duty light, but just average incan performance since the bulb voltage has to be fairly high and the batteries have usually self-discharged a bit when you need the light.

BINGO!:thumbsup: Somehow I knew it wouldn't take too long before somebody here recognized it...

I've had this light for several years and just ran across it in my shed...I charged up a VersaPak battery and it lit right up! I agree how the batteries self discharge themselves fairly quickly, that's one of the reasons it's been sitting unused in the shed. I got tired of picking it up, only to find out it only had enough juice for a couple of minutes use with no extra charged batteries.:hairpull:

I put in a Xenon bulb for a 2D flashlight...it brightened it up a bit, but somehow I suspect the already limited runtime will suffer from the upgrade.

This light has it's place and uses, but I sure wouldn't want to use it in situations where having a bright, long running light could make the difference between life or death.:eek:

Does anyone know if using an NIMH version of the VersPak battery would make any difference in brightness/runtime?

Last edited:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I've had mine too for close to 10 years. I should have probably added it to the thread about "best flashlight to use as a club". It's definitely heavier than a 2D M@g. All the parts are very thick-walled, even the bezel ring.
The NiMh "Gold" VersaPak batteries are better except more expensive. Since the Black & Decker Outlet left, they are even more expensive at retail and I'll have to get one or two new ones at some point.
I have at least a dozen flashlights, saws, drills, vacuums and stapler that use the packs. I collected them at deep discounts when the outlet had sales, along with batteries and chargers. Most of the packs have totally aged out now.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're sure right about it being built heavy duty...just check out that tailcap!

dsc02927rm8.jpg

I have most of the VersaPak tools...they're fine for fairly light duty "around-the-house" type work, but I wouldn't push them much past that. The exception of course, being the aluminum flashlight, which is built like a tank!:twak:

Might be a candidate for a cool mod...maybe someone will figure a way to adapt a VersaPak battery pack to hold 3 X CR123s! :whistle:

PS. Their VersaPak powered compact flourescent lantern is pretty cool too.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bd magalike is the only versapak light i have never modded other than the 7.2v swivel.
wouldnt mind finding them.i led modded many of the other types.
i convert the packs to li-ion.
4.2ah in a versapak!
You're sure right about it being built heavy duty...just check out that tailcap!

dsc02927rm8.jpg

I have most of the VersaPak tools...they're fine for fairly light duty "around-the-house" type work, but I wouldn't push them much past that. The exception of course, being the aluminum flashlight, which is built like a tank!:twak:

Might be a candidate for a cool mod...maybe someone will figure a way to adapt a VersaPak battery pack to hold 3 X CR123s! :whistle:

PS. Their VersaPak powered compact flourescent lantern is pretty cool too.