Sky Lumen        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need a suggestion for a (semi) powerful flashlight

Default need a suggestion for a (semi) powerful flashlight

Hello,

for some time now i've been reading around looking for a flashlight to buy. What i'm looking for is power and distance, and don't really care much about lasting time (as long as it's at least 2 hours

so i've been reading reviews here and there, but the biggest problem is that here in Lithuania you can't buy much. We have a few maglites (but didnt find the rechargable one), and rest is mostly noname stuff. One thing that i found and what looks pretty good is this one:

http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1121869161.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com

but i couldn't find any review of it! it says the range is 200 meters, but can i trust that? anyway, that shows what size i'm looking for. Ideally i'd like a recharable one, but if i cant find one, then so be it. As long as it makes a lot of light at a long distance :-)

So do you have any suggestions? I wouldnt mind buying online, but i'd need an Europe shop which ships to Lithuania.. :|

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    oh btw, when i'm saying powerful i don't mean HID 100$+ powerful, i'm talking about sub 50$ flashlight here

Default Re: need a suggestion for a (semi) powerful flashlight

Hi and welcome to CPF!
    I'd advise you to buy online - do you have a PayPal account?

A Fenix L2D CE might be a good choice, it runs on 2 AA batteries (but rechargeables perform much better) and costs $56.50 including shipping worldwide, as a CPF member you can use the CPF8 discount code and then it costs you $51.98. That's from www.fenix-store.com.
    Look for flashlights that have the new Cree LED, that's the most efficient LED at this time (twice as efficient as Luxeon LED).
    Here is a very good review:
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...1dce-l2dce.htm

This has a huge output - 120 lumens on turbo, but I am not sure about the throw..

EDIT: I added the link to Fenix-store.com (prices there include worldwide shipping).
    Someone else should be able to tell you how does the L2D CE compare to the Varta Xenon light...
    Last edited by Daniel_sk; 07-16-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: address for fenix added
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Hello and thanks for the welcome

I'll shop online as long as shipping is sub 20% of the item price

as for your suggestion.. 2 AA's seem like a very small flashlight.. if you'd check that link i posted, you'd see that i'm looking for a bulky big flashlight with loads of light (i'm not sure if bigger equals more here, but it should, no? and yes, i though about Cree powered one, but didnt even find anything bigger than mini lights, and i want several hundred meters range at least.. or is that impossible even?

Quote Originally Posted by mrQQ View Post
    Hello and thanks for the welcome

I'll shop online as long as shipping is sub 20% of the item price

as for your suggestion.. 2 AA's seem like a very small flashlight.. if you'd check that link i posted, you'd see that i'm looking for a bulky big flashlight with loads of light (i'm not sure if bigger equals more here, but it should, no? and yes, i though about Cree powered one, but didnt even find anything bigger than mini lights, and i want several hundred meters range at least.. or is that impossible even?
    Everything is possible :-).
    Yes, it's quite small but very powerful - but probably not so good if you want something with such a long range. Maybe the ROP mod ? I am not an expert in this field. I am sure someone else will have a better solution for you.

Question Re: need a suggestion for a (semi) powerful flashlight

thanks for help anyway!

i understand that i can't hope for anything amazing at such small price, but if i could find at least somewhat good solution it would be great too bad i can't find any review of that varta hp flashlight..

how do you call these big bulky flashlights anyway? should i even be looking for such one considering i want range? (thats my reasoning for size anyway..)

Maybe one of those "1-2 million candle-power spotlights" would be good, they are pretty cheap I think. Something like the Varta light but with bigger reflector and better bulb.

Until someone better experiemenced with this type of lights gives you a better answer, you can check this thread and scroll down to the beamshots. You can see how a spotlight compares to a MRV (which is a light that costs two times as the Fenix) over 100 meters.

thanks for the link! well now i can say for sure i need something like that giant those small ones can't even compare! the only question now is.. what

Flashaholic*

That Varta uses a #733 bulb or 1.25amps @ 4.8 volts.

The little Fenix L2D-CE (review) is not going to be much less light than the #733. And you can get about 2 hours (turbo mode) on 2xAA NiMH 2360 mAh rechargeable batteries.

Believe it or not, getting 2 hours out of a bright, hand-held, light is not the easiest thing to find.

-Bill

If you want a larger light...try this
    http://www.ledbeam.com/
    This is a 3 c cell light...if you mod it with a Seoul Led...easy mod...it is very powerful. It's a good strong light un modded too.
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    That Varta uses a #733 bulb or 1.25amps @ 4.8 volts.

The little Fenix L2D-CE (review) is not going to be much less light than the #733. And you can get about 2 hours (turbo mode) on 2xAA NiMH 2360 mAh rechargeable batteries.

Believe it or not, getting 2 hours out of a bright, hand-held, light is not the easiest thing to find.

-Bill
    hm, but wouldnt a bigger reflector like that of varta's help a lot? it's really hard to imagine how can such a small reflector as that Fenix make a lot of light at several hundred meters distance.. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse one View Post
    If you want a larger light...try this
    http://www.ledbeam.com/
    This is a 3 c cell light...if you mod it with a Seoul Led...easy mod...it is very powerful. It's a good strong light un modded too.
    according to that page it's reach is around 80 meters..

Flashaholic*

Your 2 hours is what makes most any of the more powerful flashlights not suitable
    (at least the ones the ppl in here would call powerful)

that Varta is a joke, the Fenix L2D-CE will outshine it at normal distances.
    One might only be able to spot a tiny bit more at the last 10 meters of the Varta's beam, thanks to the bigger and more focused reflector - but with that low power bulb the difference is low, the bright white LED-light of the Fenix will make the incan look dim all the time, and the much brighter and wider beam of the small Fenix will kick ass.

in short: The Fenix L2D-CE will blow You away!
    sources are www.fenix-store.com, www.lighthound.com, ...

or try some cheaper lights from www.dealextreme.com (but there might be a reason these lights are so cheap, think for Yourself)
    a light using those 18650 Li-Ion cells (needs its own charger) and giving about 1 Ampere to the led will be even brighter.
    Larger reflector will also be good.

hm, but wouldnt a bigger reflector like that of varta's help a lot? it's really hard to imagine how can such a small reflector as that Fenix make a lot of light at several hundred meters distance.. :|

I have used dim, big and heavy lights like the Varta quite some time and those distance numbers are plain a joke.
    My most powerful light ALWAYS was a SureFire 9N and it light up a "soccer field distance" (90 meters). No other light, even much larger ones and especially crap like the Varta, were in a league! I always hated myself for toting around such heavy equipment.
    Now I dont use the 9N any more but a Cree (led) light with 1 A power to the emitter instead (= a bit more current than the Fenix and thus brighter, but its a homemade mod and You cant purchase it.)
    Anyway get the Fenix! Small, extremely powerful, normal batteries, runs perfect on Ni-Mhs, good priced (compared to "similar" lights here in Europe).
    Last edited by yellow; 07-17-2007 at 04:31 AM.

well ok, if i were to drop the 2 hour requirement to like 1 hour or so, provided i can use something rechargable..? is that varta that bad? i'm sorry but i just cant shake the feeling that bigger=better rofl! i'm so lost lol!

basicly, why i'm asking is, because here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=164966

none of the small flashlights can even come close to the big one! and i want that kind of power :-)

if you want something big with a big reflector and powerful look HERE
    Last edited by FILIPPO; 07-17-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

basicly, why i'm asking is, because here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=164966

none of the small flashlights can even come close to the big one! and i want that kind of power :-)
    Two hours and that throw are asking a lot from a flashlight, esp. most of the AA through D cell. Have you considered asking the question in the Spotlights and HID Flashlights section?

Here's an example (Advice on a Spotlight at around $100 or less):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=169716

One example (~$150 in USA) is discussed here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=156617

If you want the traditional form factor, search for "ROP maglite" or "Malkoff Devices". Good Luck & let us know what you learn!
    Currently Swamped - use email to contact me.
    Using the Internet to deliver useful information and downright nonsense since 1980.

If you can get a mag 6D and 6nimh D size batteries you can make a mag ROP
    you have just to buy:
    alluminium reflector:25$ (if you use the stock one it may melt down)
    ROP bulbs:10$ (they are 2: one LOW output[more runtime]; one HIGH output[less runtime])
    borolens:5.5$ (the stock one may melt like the reflector)
    I suggest HERE: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=163470

if you can't buy a mag 6D, you cam build a ROP with a mag 2D but you need a battery adapter (now NOT available) and 6XAA nimh

I think that with a VLOP reflector and HIGH bulb you can have over 150m of throw...

EDIT: excuse me.....WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Flashaholic*

The hand held self contained spot lights you seem to be leaning towards will give you more than 15-45 minutes of pretty bright light, weigh multiple kilograms, and cost less than $50...

They are OK, but the beams quickly yellow, and carrying a large, bulky light on a hike for 15-30 minutes of so of reliable light (until the lead acid batteries die from over/undercharging/over-discharging) is nothing special. Getting a regular automotive hand held spot light (or even salvaged driving light from a car) and using an off-the-shelf sealed lead acid battery in an old pack/hand made pack would give you most of what you asked for.

Then take the money you saved and get the L2D-CE (Fenix) with a couple pair of good NiMH rechargeable batteries and carry that ~100 gm +/- light with you for your hiking (or anywhere)... ~2 hours on turbo (should be much brighter than the Varta) and 55 hours on low for hiking... And since it is regulated/LED, the light will always look white--instead of slowly dimming and bulbs darkening.

Believe me, there is no reason for a "Varta" type lantern to exist anymore (I still have my "Big Jim" sealed beam lantern from 40 years ago with the big external battery--I have many good memories using that light)...

-Bill

ok, now i get it lol.. excuse me for not knowing all the terms and difference between flashlight and spotlight.. english is not my native language, so i sometimes stumble lol.

so anyway, now i'm kinda leaning to same solution:

getting 1 cheap million cd spotlight
    and getting fenix small power powerful flashlight

so now few questions.. what is the difference between "hand held self containded spot light" and "regular automotive hand held spot light"?

and be.. you all seem to be suggesting l2d-ce.. what about p3d-ce?

and one more - is cree p4 more powerful than luxeon 3w?

Quote Originally Posted by FILIPPO View Post
    if you want something big with a big reflector and powerful look HERE
    unfortunatelly they dont do international shipping

oh btm, i'm reading http://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...chart_manu.htm and there it says that almost all maglite's (4d, charger, 4d-led) make more punch than that fenix.. so.. if i take aside their size and weight, would they be a good option?

I think you won't be happy with a standard mag-lite...sure it throws pretty well (becouse of the SMO reflector) but the beam quality...
    (just IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by FILIPPO View Post
    I think you won't be happy with a standard mag-lite...sure it throws pretty well (becouse of the SMO reflector) but the beam quality...
    (just IMO)
    you're correct, i've read the review and i don't like yellow spotty beam.

ok so now i'm reading (actually, i've been reading whole yesterday, even dreamt about flashlights ) about cree powered flashlights, and came across huntlight ft-01xse.. it does seem to be a pretty nice light, isn't it?

ok so now i'm reading (actually, i've been reading whole yesterday, even dreamt about flashlights ) about cree powered flashlights, and came across huntlight ft-01xse.. it does seem to be a pretty nice light, isn't it?
    Haha , I knew this would happen! You are becoming a flashaholic, that same happened to me - I was just searching for one flashlight, I found CPF on google - and since then I come here every day, bought some flashlights and already searching for another flashlight I could buy ..

About the P3D CE (and P2D CE), they are smaller than the AA version and little more powerful but they take CR123A batteries - they cost here over $6 a battery, I think it's the same in Lithuania. Rechargeable CR123A have much less runtime and you need a special charger for this.
    I run my Surefire A2 on CR123A from US, you can get them at arround $1-$2.

So I'd say - the L2D CE is better in this way, you can buy two rechargeable AA batteries and you have "free lumens".

I don't know about the huntlight ft-01xse, someone else will tell you...

(actually, i've been reading whole yesterday, even dreamt about flashlights ) about cree powered flashlights, and came across huntlight ft-01xse.. it does seem to be a pretty nice light, isn't it?

I don't know huntlight but here you can find some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    Haha , I knew this would happen! You are becoming a flashaholic, that same happened to me - I was just searching for one flashlight, I found CPF on google - and since then I come here every day, bought some flashlights and already searching for another flashlight I could buy ..

About the P3D CE (and P2D CE), they are smaller than the AA version and little more powerful but they take CR123A batteries - they cost here over $6 a battery, I think it's the same in Lithuania. Rechargeable CR123A have much less runtime and you need a special charger for this.
    I run my Surefire A2 on CR123A from US, you can get them at arround $1-$2.

So I'd say - the L2D CE is better in this way, you can buy two rechargeable AA batteries and you have "free lumens".

I don't know about the huntlight ft-01xse, someone else will tell you...
    hm, if run time for p3d-ce on 2x123a on turbo is 1.8h, how long would it run on rechargables (what rechargables do i actually use for it? rcr123a?)

hm, if run time for p3d-ce on 2x123a on turbo is 1.8h, how long would it run on rechargables (what rechargables do i actually use for it? rcr123a?)
    I don't know but it depends by which brand do you use and the capacity...
    maybe about 1hr? (NOT SURE*NOT SURE*NOT ....)

Flashaholic*

Your English is better than my English (and English is my only language)...

A most of the Halogen self contained spot lights contain a smallish sealed lead acid battery (like a car battery, but, does not spill). They put a bright bulb in them (high wattage/amperage) with the small battery... Adding up to not too long of run time (typically 15-30 minutes of useful light) and, the lead acid battery needing replacement in a year or so because of high current and poor charging (cheap chargers that typically over charge the battery). Getting replacement batteries for the self contained hand is generally a pain in the rear end.

The hand held spot light with a DC lighter plug (or old driving light) and an external battery pack made from whatever good batteries you can get locally (lead acid, NiCad, NiMH, etc.) and pair that up with a good charger is not a bad option.

There are other threads here about P2D and P3D Fenix's with rechargable batteries--the posts are pretty recent so you can probably just scroll through and find one or two... The P2D is not a great light to use rechargeable RCR123A batteries in (over voltage of the regulator circuit causes light to lose low output modes). And the batteries don't last as long as primary cells before needed recharging.

The L2D-CE (same head as a P2D) does take NiMH 2xAA rechargeable, and those are very good for use in this light. All functions work and very good battery life between charging. Low price batteries and chargers.

P3D is a very nice light if you want to pay for the CR123A primaries. A bit brighter than the L2D-CE (but most people can't see the difference with their eyes). I believe that RCR123A rechargeables work well too.

-Bill

thanks

hmm, i've came to conclusion that running a light on rechargable produces more output.. so would it be valid to say that l2d-ce on nimh's would outshine p3d-ce on cr123a's? or am i wrong in the first statement?

i'm kinda wondering.. i could, of course, order rcr123a's with charger from same fenix store, but 750mah's of capacity doesn't really impress me, and i'm worried that p3d's runtime on those rcr's will be very..uhm..unimpressive

p.s. does anyone know anything about that huntlight?

p.p.s. which is brighter, luxeon III or cree xe?

The P3D will be brighter than the L2D by a little. Expect less than an hour with a P3D and Li-ions, nearly double with non rechargeable batteries.

Luxeon III are old. Cree are about twice as bright.

No LED that I know of will throw heaps of light hundreds of metres away.

Hotwires and modded mags will, but they are not meant for long runtimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast