1/2 aaa Nimh for L0D CE

kanarie

Enlightened
It's probably brighter than that on 10440.
I don't think so: 2x 1,2v versus 3,6volt on Lithium
And also because of the higher voltage both are far more bright than a single 1,2v AAA NiMH

Last edited:

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Anybody knows about these 1/2 aaa cells and were to get them?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
It appears that these 1/2 AAA cells have extremely terrible capacity. Two of them have about or less that half the capacity of a Ni-Mh AAA battery.

juplin

Enlightened
A spacer is needed to charge this 1/2 AAA cell.
I have no problem to charge these 1/2 AAA cells in my Sanyo Quick Charger.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
all-battery appears to have 1/2 AAA NiMH cells for $1.15. Nominal capacity is 350mAh, so two of these has 2/3rds the energy capacity of a stock NiMH AAA.

2AAA does appear to be the optimum efficiency for the boost driver (no high-current direct drive, and excessive >3C discharge rate from 10440s, still brighter than stock), but IMO I would prefer someone actually come up with a 2xAAA tube to make the L0D-CE into a "pen" light.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
"2AAA does appear to be the optimum efficiency for the boost driver (no high-current direct drive, and excessive >3C discharge rate from 10440s, still brighter than stock)"

That's excactly what I was thinking.:twothumbs Shorter runtime wouldn't bother me as you can always take a second set of batteries with you.

I'm hesistant to use 10440s because of potetial damage to the emitter:poof: and cause they aren't protectet!

Anyone kows what the tabs on these: http://www.gp-battery.de/HTML/products/cordless.HTML
are for?

And can u charge them with a normal nimh-charger?
If yes, is there a simple way to build your own spacers?:thumbsup:

Using these batteries could be a good option for someone who wants his L0D CE as bright as possible without the potential dangers of 10440s!

juplin

Enlightened
And can u charge them with a normal nimh-charger?
If yes, is there a simple way to build your own spacers?
These 1/2 AAA cells can be charged with my Sanyo NC-MQR03RNU NiMh Quick Charger that's part of bundle sale along with 4 pcs of AA or AAA eneloop.

First thing of all is to find a conductor with diameter of slightly less than 10mm and length of around 21 mm, and this conductor will be used as the spacer. In my case, I used a coaxial cable connector with 9 mm (φ) x 21 mm (L) as the spacer.

Then prepare AAA to AA baterry adapters that will be used to fit the 1/2 AAA cell and the spacer to charge the 1/2 AAA cell in the AA slot, in case the cell and the spacer can't be securely charged in the AAA slot of the charger.

In my case, I can only charge the cell in the AA slot that provide larger charging current but don't really hurt.

For different chargers, the dimension (especially the length) of the spacer may be increased or decreased slightly to accommodate individual chargers.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Is there any shop that sells these batteries and ships to Europe? (as all-batery only ships within the US):shrug:

Can't you just use a piece of thick copper wire instead of a special spacer(s)?:confused:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Love my L0D cree with its 50 lumens on an AAA alk!!!

Now just as I am gettingready to take the plunge and buy some 10440s from lighthound, I see this newfangled 1/2 AAA? size cell.

Which would be brighter?
longer runtimes?
safer?
perhaps not in that order?!?;)

juplin

Enlightened
Is there any shop that sells these batteries and ships to Europe? (as all-batery only ships within the US):shrug:

Can't you just use a piece of thick copper wire instead of a special spacer(s)?:confused:
GP T270 is usually sold in electronic components retail stores in Taiwan, but I don't know the sales channel in Europe.

Someone has mentioned to use wood or plastic rod with screws added in both ends of the rod. Then connect both screws with wires. The finished rod can be used as spacer.

BTW, besides 1AAA alkaline, 1AAA NiMH, 3.7V 10440 and 2 * 1/2 AAA NiMH, 3.0 V (actually 3.2V nominal voltage) LiFePO4 based rechargable 10450 (also called GCRAAA) can also brighterly and safely power L0D CE or Liteflux LF2, checking the following page:
http://www.xxzkkj.com/Chinese/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=177

Last edited:

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Just see thr table at this site: http://shinta3.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/15/

AAA NiMH x 1 (1.42V)
490 Primary (medium)
230 Low
1370 Max

1/2 AAA NiMH x 2 (2.72V)

880 Primary (medium)
370 Low
2200 Max

10440 Li-ion x 1 (4.13V)

1400 Primary (medium)
640 Low
3800 Max

10440 is brightest but not really safe (in my opinion) and not good for the emitter as well (in the long run, though there seem to be no broken L0Ds because of 10440 use yet)!

I'm not sure about the runtimes, but as the capacity with two 1/2 AAA Nimh is about two thirds of a regular AAA Nimh, runtime is probably two thirds as well?
Maybe someone should PM Shinta on this, he's a CPF member.

Still wondering whether there is a dealer/shop that would ship 1/2 aaa cells to Germany for a reasonable price?

Any dealer suggestions would be much appreciated!

@ juplin: thx for the hint with the "spacer-rod"

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Love my L0D cree with its 50 lumens on an AAA alk!!!

Now just as I am gettingready to take the plunge and buy some 10440s from lighthound, I see this newfangled 1/2 AAA? size cell.

Which would be brighter?
longer runtimes?
safer?
perhaps not in that order?!?
Chevrofreak has a fairly exhaustive set of runtime charts for the L0D-CE, here.

Your brightest option will be the 10440s bar none. However, the biggest advantage of the L0D-CE is the medium mode IMO -- which is still brighter than "turbo" on alkaline, NiMH, or even expensive lithium primary, but rechageable. Ultimately though, the biggest weakness is that the L0D-CE, as a boost driver light, can dran the cells all the way and ruin them -- a pattern of doing this (if you don't dispose of the cells) can put them at risk of catastrophic failure. The safest option for use on 10440 by far is a different light -- the Liteflux LF2, which is fully regulated up to 5 volts, and has low battery voltage protection built into the light. I have done a full comparison review if you're interested in seeing the difference (in my signature).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak has a fairly exhaustive set of runtime charts for the L0D-CE, here.

Your brightest option will be the 10440s bar none. However, the biggest advantage of the L0D-CE is the medium mode IMO -- which is still brighter than "turbo" on alkaline, NiMH, or even expensive lithium primary, but rechageable. Ultimately though, the biggest weakness is that the L0D-CE, as a boost driver light, can dran the cells all the way and ruin them -- a pattern of doing this (if you don't dispose of the cells) can put them at risk of catastrophic failure. The safest option for use on 10440 by far is a different light -- the Liteflux LF2, which is fully regulated up to 5 volts, and has low battery voltage protection built into the light. I have done a full comparison review if you're interested in seeing the difference (in my signature).

thanks!! "catastrophic failure!?!?"

I'm, scared!! yipe! maybe I'll see if lighthound sells that Liteflux LF2

juplin

Enlightened
all-battery appears to have 1/2 AAA NiMH cells for $1.15. Nominal capacity is 350mAh, so two of these has 2/3rds the energy capacity of a stock NiMH AAA.
Nominal capacity of 350mAh may be inflated.

3N-270AA (1/2 AA - NiMH x 3) phone battery manufactured by AT&T only has 270 mAh nominal capacity.
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/electron...k=All&N=810000003+810000186&isrc=e-dim-refine
Panasonic and other clone manufacturers of phone battery can only provide 1/2 AA - NiMH with 350 mAh.

Last edited: