Transformers The Movie...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi to all,

How is this movie, any good? Its being shown worldwide for the past 2-3weeks if I'm not mistaken...

carrot

Flashaholic
It was awesome. Go see it. It even stays true to the original Transformers animated movie, for the most part.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't seen it yet but will do soon. My main reason for seeing it is Megan Fox :D

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand most of it is done with computers, are they fluid within the movie? Do the stunts look real? Can it be compared to the 'Matriks'?

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
It is seriously incredible!!

I've seen it three times already and could easily watch it again and again!

The pacing of the film is great, there really never is a dull moment, and it feels much shorter than 2h 20min.

The robots are mostly done on the computer but they are so photorealistic that most of the time you forget that they're CG characters. There are some times when models are used, but it looks so good either way that usually you won't notice when they switch between models and CG.

The stunts are really well done too. I watched the HBO Sneak Peak on this movie, and it really lends to a deeper appreciation for all the effort and work that went into the stunts. And there were many stunts that I thought were CG in the movie, but they actually turned out to be physical stuff that was done on set!

As long as you expect crazy action and comedy, and don't expect extremely deep epic character development, you'll be fine.

Love it!!

:)

gunga

Flashaholic
I agree with the above. It was not a brilliant movie (some gaps in logic, some cheesy stuff etc ...) but it was tons of fun and a great blast from the past.

Highly recommended!

:thumbsup:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
It was a good fun ride.

Personaly, i felt there were many gaps in the story line and a certain lack of explanations that only old school transformers fans could unravel. Like most movies of late, attention to special effects comes at the cost of story.

But... and this is a big BUT, it was a blast to watch :D

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Megan Fox is HOT!!! Unfortunately you don't see THAT much of her here. :( Other than that, the movie was fun.

CGI was pretty cool, but I couldn't help thinking about why soooo many parts were flying around when they transformed. The models I had only moved two or three parts to switch between car and robot. :thinking: :D

They kept most of the names, but I don't see how Carrot thinks it follows the original Transformers. Bumble Bee is a Camaro and can rescan to change his form. He can also fight. The 'Creation Matrix' is now called 'The Cube'. Megatron is not a gun. :grin2: Am I the only one who noticed that and much more? :ohgeez: :)

edit: should of read all the posts first; LED_Blind already pointed out some plot holes. Also the way they 'hack' the Defense Dept. computers was really unrealistic.

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:

Its great and transformed me back into a KID when the show started.

Its worth the money spent on the tickets :popcorn::twothumbs:

o0o

Enlightened
I enjoyed it very much.

Despite what the critics say (many give it 1 or 2 stars), I found it to be a solid, fun movie. I give it 3 stars.

Its NOT a movie that has any intelligence or thought provoking aspects to it, but that is not the point of something like this. It does a good job of entertaining--and for its niche has a decent story line.

I'd recommend it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Transformers II
or
Bumblebee the Love Camaro (that would make it the Love Bug III right? I lost count)

The good bots and the bad bots come to Earth to find a cube.
Long ago the leader of the bad bots located the cube on earth but crash landed in the artic. An explorer came across the bot, activated the navigation system which engraved the location of the cube on the explorer's glasses.
The explorer's grandson tried to sell the glasses on eBay to pay for his half of the monies for his first car. A good bot Bumblebee transforms into a rusted out old Camaro in the car lot and picked the kid.
Meanwhile a bad bot attacked a US base in Qatar to gain acess to the US computer network. Foiled they sent a mini bot to hack the network on Air Force One.
When they finally located the explorer's grandson, Bumblebee took the kid to his leader who explained all.
The kid and his Camaro was captured by the mysterious Section Seven, whose leader has to go the Secretary of Defence and explain the Alien Connection. Everbody treked to Area 7 under the Hoover Dam where Section Seven has recovered and stored both the bad bot leader and the cube.
All the bots converged on the Hoover dam and the final battle began.

There are a lot of similarities of this movie to Die Hard (live Free):
The US computer network got hacked and wrecked.
The expert computer geek is a fat black kid.
The new F22 strike fighter.
Big truck has a big role.
At least we don't have to look at Bruce Willis grimacing between the action.

The scene where everybody enters Area 7 looked sooo familiar - Indpendance day, the Muppets in space and every other sci-fi movie seem to have exactly the same shot.

The good bots transform into relatively boring cars and trucks. The bad bots transform into more interesting things - helicopters, fighter planes, tanks, cell phones, boom boxes.
They cheated on a lot of the transformations: Car door opens, zoom into the dark insides, zoom out, bot doing a final stretch into position. I think the pebble turning into a crab in Pirates III is much better - I can follow the tranformation all the way.
The yellow Camaro still has a lot of yellow as a bot. His leader a red, white and blue truck became a red, white and blue bot. The other ones looked the same. It is hard to tell them apart. Well the mini bot does not look like a bot at all. A mechanical crab with too many legs.

Another 2-1/2 hour movie. At least this one does not have too much filler. Just the unnecesary bit with the dog. 1st movie to get above 4 stars in Tribute's viewers rating this summer.
http://www.tribute.ca/reviews/Transformers/10889

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Megan Fox is HOT!!! Unfortunately you don't see THAT much of her here. :(

That's a shame. I still want to see it really badly after coming across this screenshot:

megky7.jpg

:drool:

carrot

Flashaholic
Ok, ok, Sinjz, yes, Megatron was not a gun (I complained to my friends when I saw it) but unlike all the Transformers series that came after the original, it stayed pretty true its original lineage and most of the familiar faces returned. Also, I loved the references to the series' tagline. In any case, I felt it was a movie that did the series justice.

One I was hoping to see but didn't was Unicron. I'm a big fan of that planet-eating mother-.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the CGI was okay. The director used a lot of camera shake to give a sense of action. Sometimes it was absolutely the right thing, but they used it in every action scene and I really got eventually annoyed by it. I think they used the camera shake also to hide the imperfections of the CGI so they didn't need to render clearly. That might have been the biggest reason for it, but it's hard to tell since even in the animated stuff the action has a similar feel.

I was surprised at how they did a very good job showing zero gore. It was a movie with spinning drills, people going flying, getting snatched & smashed. All the stuff with people was always just beyond the camera view so it was more implied than shown. Much better job here than, say, spiderman for example. With all that off screen I was shocked why they chose to leave in a lot of really foul language, and the scene where the parents ask what the boy is doing in the room alone, just before finding Fox there with him -- that was obnoxious. I can't figure out what age group was the target with this movie with conflicting stuff like that.

Anyone else prefer the old Camaro over the new one? I thought that old engine sounded far better. Hehe. All the good vehicles were GM. Oh okay like I'm only supposed to catch that subconsciously.

Last edited:

Latest posts