Wolf Eyes 6A/cree 4 stage Diffused

FASTCAR

Banned
MY diffused Wolf Eyes 6a /cree with my diffuser goes well over 300' with a wall of light.

Spotted a groundhog at 300+ feet in the pitch black...and his coloring looked just fine .I think he gave me the finger though....I ruined his night adapted vision :mecry:

I find spotting MUCH easier with a flood then a bright spot.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... I'm looking forward to trying out one of those diffused WE 6M/Cree 4 stage lights, although I've got a feeling I'll be using it on the 20% level most of the time. But dang, it's sure good to know I'll be able to spot groundhogs at 300 feet if I ever need too! :)

BTW, what color IS a groundhog? Seriously, I find the whole color rendition topic very interesting because I was a professional color printer for many years, and know how important the color of light is for successfully lighting a subject, and while I generally like the way most of my LED lights give a whiter appearing light, I have found that in reality they are lacking enough red to make people, in particular, look a little pale. Just my observations so far.

Of course, incandescent lights generally provide a tint in the yellow/red range, but that can be seen as a pleasing enhancement to most environments.... providing a feeling of warmth, which I think is why a lot of folks prefer them for some lighting applications.

I guess I'm most surprised that there aren't more R/G/B based LED lights out. Seems to me it would be a pretty simple thing to do. I know I've seen a few.... but I guess there just hasn't been enough interest to generate the research and development needed to produce them in quantity at this point.

By the way, I'm still not quite sure from your posts about night adapted vision whether you feel that your eyes don't become more adapted after a longer period of time (that is.... that your eyes are perfectly and completely adapted after only a few seconds), or is it that you just feel it's not necessary to be concerned with it because when you need a light, you want LOTS of light, and don't generally see the need for using lower levels under most circumstances?

OceanView

Enlightened
I also just received my 4-stage WE Cree drop-in. With FASTCAR's diffusing material, this combo definitely satisfies my prior itch to get a SF L2. I would have liked an even lower low mode, but the three levels seem pretty well spaced out.

Not sure if the strobe mode is as effective when heavily diffused, though.

One thing that I noticed, though, is that my Sniper gets noticeably warmer with this drop-in than with the WE 170-lumen HO Cree drop-in. With the single-level drop-in, the body is only lukewarm after an extended run. With the 4-stage, the bezel and upper part of the body gets very warm when run on high after about 10 minutes. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm assuming that the LED is doing equally fine in both cases because the heat is being transferred away efficiently in both cases. :shrug: I wonder if the multi-level circuitry generates significantly more heat or if something else like better thermal coupling is going on? Anyway, I don't think the heat is excessive considering the power level. Just making an observation about running the new drop-in compared to my other WE drop-in. I like it!

Last edited:

FASTCAR

Banned
First : My gal LOVES ground hogs ! The fatter the better..she calls them "fatboys" and wants one to cuddle.She actually smiles and get goofey when we see one .

It does seem the Wolf Eyes with new drop -in gets a tad hotter.Nothing like my old L4 or other lights though.

Now if only WolfEyes made a single 123 size light ( ahem W.E. yall reading this). I would get one for sure.

JeffW

Newly Enlightened
And give up your T5 ??????:D

First : My gal LOVES ground hogs ! The fatter the better..she calls them "fatboys" and wants one to cuddle.She actually smiles and get goofey when we see one .

It does seem the Wolf Eyes with new drop -in gets a tad hotter.Nothing like my old L4 or other lights though.

Now if only WolfEyes made a single 123 size light ( ahem W.E. yall reading this). I would get one for sure.