Why doesnt someone come up with...

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. a PR based 2 cell LED replacement with long runtime like the old smjled Pr2.
the new single die version pales in comparison.

2. a single CR123 or RCR123 multi level headlamp that's light weight with great runtime? Seems like it'd be pretty easy. Like the River rock 2aaa or Streamlight enduro.

3. A hand held EDC light that recharges on a cradle charger (lithium ion) like every cell phone made since 1990.

anyone else have a wish list?

Mad1

Enlightened
I don't know about 1 or 3 but #2 The PrincetonTec Apex Pro is x2 CR123 and it's multi level, I don't think you could have long run times on just 1 CR123.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure you could. My riverrock 2aaa can run for 6 hours on high and 24 hours on low. And that's 2AAA batteries. a single 123 can store much more than that!.

Mad1

Enlightened
I suppose that depends on the output though.

With the PT Apex Pro I suppose you could use 1 RCR123 and a dummy cell but thats not really a good idea.

The RR2AAA is only a .5watt rated light according to FLR's so it would naturally have a long run time on those cells.

It depends what amount of light output you want I suppose.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
Great ideas.

I have been thinking about the smjled drop-in, and that the time was right for an update. I still use a couple of lights running these, and I'm pleased with them - less than stellar output, but a lot better than the yellowing incan beam that was there before. I'd really like a SSC drop-in, or possibly a Cree (tho' I'd think it would be hit-and-miss with reflector shape).

And about the headlamp. . . considering the only headlamp I have is the old Pretzl Tikka+ (which, from memory, runs on three AAAs) and puts out as much light as I would ever need in a headlamp. For me, a headlamp is for close work or carrying things in both hands; when I need more light/better throw I would rather carry a flashlight.

Re: the cradle charger. I've seen similar lights, in hardware stores. The sit in a recharger that plugs into the wall, so they are ready to go. But the looked terrible. Someone could use the cell phone cradle and make an amazing light.

And to hijack your thread, I'd add: a cheap, one-cell, two-level Cree light with a clip. A really low low and a medium-level high (not insane, but enough for everyday use). But no other, unwanted levels.

Grubbster

Enlightened
If you look in the headlight section under the zebralight thread, I believe they have a single 123 headlight under development.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp: There was a Nuwai Luxeon I headlamp. Runs on two CR123As, 3 levels+emergency blink , 5 hours on high. I have this one, very nice lamp.

Charger: Nearly all dedicated recharging lights I know have a charging cradle (MagCharger, TigerLight, Inova T4, Pelican 7060 LAPD etc.). Am I missing something here?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Charger: Nearly all dedicated recharging lights I know have a charging cradle (MagCharger, TigerLight, Inova T4, Pelican 7060 LAPD etc.). Am I missing something here?

At least one low end light (Brinkmann Maxfire Rechargeable) requires that the battery stick be removed from light to charge. Perhaps the OP wants cradle-charging on lower end lights.

Extending that, why not ask for an inductive charger, like my electric toothbrush? It would require that the case be plastic (or at least non-ferrous), but the light would be much more waterproof. I distrust charging ports around water - even if they're great when the light is new, how good are they going to be after the light has been banged around for a few years?

Windscale

Enlightened
Headlamp: There was a Nuwai Luxeon I headlamp. Runs on two CR123As, 3 levels+emergency blink , 5 hours on high. I have this one, very nice lamp.

This is almost exactly the same as the Favourlight 3 Watt, just that the LED is 3 Watt instead. For a long time it's been one of my EDCs but ceased to be so as it is not happy with 3V RCR123As. Pity, as it is a great light but I am in the process of becoming 100% rechargeable. The replacement is a Gentos ( http://www.chubu-plot.com/rigel/gtr731h/). It is only 0.5Watt. But it gets on very well with 1 AA Eneloop and gives very respectable runtime. Not as bright as the Favourlight 3 Watt but smaller and lighter. Great for EDC.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a single 123 headlamp to save weight and extend runtime over my 2aaa enduro.

I love the two level single 123 light with a clip. Perfect EDC light.

Latest posts