Fenix P1D-CE vs P2D-CE

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Other than overall length and 5 modes vs 6 modes...what are the benefits of getting the P2D-CE over the P1D-CE?

I'd prefer a smaller light, but don't want to miss out on any bonuses of owning the P2D.

Also, is the XR-E a newer and better P4 LED? I notice some places still have the P4 version instead of the XR-E

Last edited:

luigi

Enlightened
My opinion:
The P1Dce is brighter than the P2D.
The P2D has a better interface, with a clickie and inmediate access to low/turbo modes. It is really a lot better than the P1DCE to me.
The P1Dces I've seen have better tint than the P2Ds, many P2Ds have a distinctive greenish tint.

Hope it adds a grain of sand to your decision.

Luigi

fluke

Enlightened
I just traded my P1DCE and P1CE as I fell in love with my P2DCE and P3DCE.
Access to Turbo or low with a click (dependant on what you want) is the way to go.
My 2 cents.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
krevo,

luigi pretty much nailed it. i would have to agree with his assessment.

only other point that i would make is that for some of my applications, the LOW 12 lumen output of the P1D-CE is to be preferred over the LOW 9 lumen output of the P2D-CE. for example, i've found it easier to hike some trails when having 12 lumen of light output versus just 9 lumens of light output. obviously YMMV depending upon your application and need for LOW output with LONG burntime.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
P1D has no switch so one less thing to fail when you need light.
The Low setting on my P1Dce is much brighter than the Low settings on my P2Dce and P3Dce - thus for close-up work the latter torches may provide a With the P1Dce it is possible to switch modes with one hand. P2D is really a two handed affair.
All in all, minor differences that may make a huge difference with your given needs. I carry the P1Dce along with a photon freedom in my backpack. Otherwise I gravitate toward the P2D for EDC.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use much my P1D CE because I find it too small for practical use. Very good in a pocket but it tends to slip out of my hand when in use. I like much better P2D CE for its slightly larger size and for the U.I. The possibility of choosing beforehand if you want it on on low or on turbo is very helpful.

GregWormald

Enlightened
The P2D-CE is brighter than the P1D-CE.
P2 has a rear push-button switch.
P2 is slightly longer.
Low and turbo on the P2 are easily accessible by rotating the bezel. Other levels are accessible by the rear button.
P1 is a twist or multiple twist to access levels.
The new textured reflectors are great!
Fenix-store.com has all the info in ready form.
Greg

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

I went with the natural colored P2D-CE (textured)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luigi could be right.

However, there is perhaps a 20lumen range of output within some BINS. Case in point, i recently purchased a P2D-CE Q2. Comparing the Q2 version to a non-Q2 P2D-CE (both with OP reflectors), to the eye (didn't use a lux meter, so this is ***NOT*** a really good test, but then what often matters is not the numbers, but what the eye sees, after all) there was essentially no difference.

In my case, it looks like i had a HOT/upper-end of the bin range non-Q2 and a lower-end of the range Q2.

Perhaps that's what has occurred in GW's case??? Don't know.

luigi

Enlightened
Good point half-watt if it was a Q2 bin then it may be different.
Comparing the regular P1DCE with the P2D the P1DCE is brighter.

BTW: There is not such thing as P2DCE, the P2D name is just P2D without CE.

Luigi

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW: There is not such thing as P2DCE, the P2D name is just P2D without CE.

Luigi

Many thanks for correcting me. You might find that, in the future, i may still misidentify them both intentionally (for the sake of other uninformed individuals like myself) & unintentionally ('cuz i have, as i term it, "old-timers").

Molti grazie/muchas gracias Luigi.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint?.....I had about seven Fenixes, now only four in the family, all CE versions....only two were white and the rest had various tints to them. I am sure that there is great deal of variation from one Fenix to the next both in output and tint....I don't worry about this, I just use them, they are great lights.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, from FlashlightReviews.com

P1DCE....throw 51.96 and output 78.50
P2DCE....throw 46.90 and output 82.00

not much in it......

Looking at the specs at the fenix store, they're both listed as 135 lumens. I think the output numbers' delta above (3.5) probably falls into the normal variation from light to light of the same models and also the actual accuracy of the measurement instrument/method.

Last edited: