• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Custom Titanium CR2 Ion's with Q5 Emitters

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I've decide to do something special with the last seven Titanium Ion's
that I've kept. these will be custom modded with:

1) Cree Q5 WG emitters (over 100 lumens at the regulated 350ma !!!)
2) Two green Trits installed in the tail.
3) Engraved and serial numbered with: "4Sevens Q5 1/7"

There will only be 7 and no more! :)

174837300-M.jpg
174837449-M.jpg

174834575-M.jpg
174835018-M.jpg

174835542-M.jpg
174835931-M.jpg

174836173-M.jpg
174836581-M.jpg

174836984-M.jpg

These will be $525 each shipped by Overnight express or EMS (international).
Please post: "I'll take it" in this thread and send the payment
via paypal credit: [email protected]
or paypal cash [email protected]

These will be shipped out in 1-2 weeks.

Once confirmed, I'll edit this first thread. :)

*payment confirmed*
1) kakster *shipped*
2) iconoclast *shipped*
3) wolverine1 *shipped*
4) *sold*
5) *sold*
6)
7) Chief-Yeah *shipped*

Last edited:

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
Hey, 4sevens, is there something wrong with the price you listed? I have checked from your web, an upgrade costs only $90.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hey, 4sevens, is there something wrong with the price you listed? I have checked from your web, an upgrade costs only $90.

What about all the work to install the 2 trits on the tail, the almost
unobtainable emitter and the engraving?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, keep in mind that these titanium cr2 ions are out of production.
These may be the last of the breed :)

I'll have completed the mods and engraving and will have a nice
picture of them lined up by monday as well as some comparative beam shots :)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phyaa,

That was half a year ago before the Ti CR2 XT's were introduced.
The XT's already had XRE's installed in them.

Just for reference sake, here is a XR (left) versus an XRE P4 (right)
107509143-M.jpg

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
Phyaa,

That was half a year ago before the Ti CR2 XT's were introduced.
The XT's already had XRE's installed in them.

Just for reference sake, here is a XR (left) versus an XRE P4 (right)
107509143-M.jpg
Thanks for the quick respond and what a nice beam shot!
I know you make a lot of great lights, and I am very interested in the new Q5 IONS. Would you please clarify the prices thing?
By the way I think we all waiting for the PXD with Q5:twothumbs

wintermute

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick respond and what a nice beam shot!
I know you make a lot of great lights, and I am very interested in the new Q5 IONS. Would you please clarify the prices thing?
By the way I think we all waiting for the PXD with Q5:twothumbs

What kind of clarification do you need? They are Titanium Ions which are no longer available. They are part of a limited series of 7 units. They are laser engraved with serial number. Thay have green tritium vials installed in the tail. Etc., etc.

If you want to buy an Ion and have the $90 upgrade, you can do that too - and from the looks of it on Fenix-store's "Best Sellers" list that's what people are doing. Regular Ion + Cree Q5 will run you between $240 and $285. But they aren't laser engraved with serial number, no green trits, and they are not titanium. This is the price to pay for a limited edition of 7 units. I can't remember how much the CR2 Titanium Ion was before all this, but they were much more expensive then the Aluminum Bronze Ion. Titanium is a very difficult metal to work with. It is crazy hard, and requires really slow speeds to mill or turn, or else it turns color.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regards to the CR2 Ion XR-E mod, that's entirely David Chow's doing at Fenix-Store and not supported by me and voids the warranty of the flashlight. That said, it does provide greater light output, but you lose the nice, smooth flood the Ion was designed to produce.

That is true. It is also true of the Ion XT (which was made with an XR-E).
The beam of the Ion XT and the moded Ion are identical.

I will pass on this, because I already have one of each: an original Ion, an Ion modded by 4sevens, and an Ion XT.

The XR-E versions are certainly brighter, and probably a better EDC.
The original version has very little hotspot, and is nice for photography.

I have purchased a total of 3 4sevens mods, and all have worked flawlessly.

phypaa

Newly Enlightened
What kind of clarification do you need? They are Titanium Ions which are no longer available. They are part of a limited series of 7 units. They are laser engraved with serial number. Thay have green tritium vials installed in the tail. Etc., etc.

If you want to buy an Ion and have the $90 upgrade, you can do that too - and from the looks of it on Fenix-store's "Best Sellers" list that's what people are doing. Regular Ion + Cree Q5 will run you between $240 and $285. But they aren't laser engraved with serial number, no green trits, and they are not titanium. This is the price to pay for a limited edition of 7 units. I can't remember how much the CR2 Titanium Ion was before all this, but they were much more expensive then the Aluminum Bronze Ion. Titanium is a very difficult metal to work with. It is crazy hard, and requires really slow speeds to mill or turn, or else it turns color.

Thanks for the words, I am just too happy to see the new IONS and miss the word titanium.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Ti is not that difficult to work with.
It is on a par with stainless steel.
Any machine shop which does work for the aerospace industry can work with titanium with ease. The key is to not work the material too fast and make sure you use plenty of coolant.
There are many other materials which are very much more difficult to work with than Titanium.

Titanium as a material has become quite expensive. There is a great deal of lost material when making things like flashlights.

I believe that the poster is walking on the thin edge of making the observation that 4x7's is charging a very high premium price for these.
The bottom line here is that the success or failure of this sale depends on the perceived value vs what people are willing to pay.

One could look at the original price for the Ti cr2ion and then add the value and labor of the modification.
Keep in mind that the Ti version of the Cr2 ion was a very expensive to begin with. The price may well have been out of line based on the actual cost of manufacture, there was plenty of talk about it when the light was made available a couple of years (or however long ago it was).
The point really is that 4x7's is free to sell his modded lights for whatever price he likes. the market place is then free to respond by either buying the pieces or not.
It is fairly clear that the marketplace has responded.
4x7's does a fine job of modifying lights. I am sure these will be no different. Also keep in mind that 4x7's made an investment in these rather expensive lights in the first place. I believe he is entitled to make a profit on his investment.

All to often people complain either directly or by beating around the bush about the prices people charge for their wares.
I say instead of complaining try making something and bring it to market.
Then tell us that the work needed to do this should be done for little or no profit.
It is one thing to be competitive. It is quite another to over charge.
In either case the marketplace always makes the decision without the need of negative comments or complaints or even those who will beat around the bush.

Personally a cr2ion with one of these powerhouse emitters would be quite something to have. Add to that the fact that the light is made from titanium makes it even more special.
There are so many clones and cheap crappy imports which are equally bright. I find it rather cool to see something different on the market.
Even if it is at a premium.
go 4x7's go!!
Yaesumofo

Titanium is a very difficult metal to work with. It is crazy hard, and requires really slow speeds to mill or turn, or else it turns color.

greenstuffs

Banned
Certainly you are right but at over $500 there are many choices, it can get you almost anything from McGizmo, Draco, SF TiTAN... only the market will bear the price i believe it is pretty clear that this light has a different value than other Ti Lights being offered at CPF as they usually sell out in 2 min, now what if the first buyer paid the premium then later to find the price being dropped?
I have no doubt that 4Seven does a great job but at this prices people look at them as investments to later flip or sell at no loss, but this light seems pretty unclear its future value.
Good luck with your sale David, all the best.

Actually Ti is not that difficult to work with.
It is on a par with stainless steel.
Any machine shop which does work for the aerospace industry can work with titanium with ease. The key is to not work the material too fast and make sure you use plenty of coolant.
There are many other materials which are very much more difficult to work with than Titanium.

Titanium as a material has become quite expensive. There is a great deal of lost material when making things like flashlights.

I believe that the poster is walking on the thin edge of making the observation that 4x7's is charging a very high premium price for these.
The bottom line here is that the success or failure of this sale depends on the perceived value vs what people are willing to pay.

One could look at the original price for the Ti cr2ion and then add the value and labor of the modification.
Keep in mind that the Ti version of the Cr2 ion was a very expensive to begin with. The price may well have been out of line based on the actual cost of manufacture, there was plenty of talk about it when the light was made available a couple of years (or however long ago it was).
The point really is that 4x7's is free to sell his modded lights for whatever price he likes. the market place is then free to respond by either buying the pieces or not.
It is fairly clear that the marketplace has responded.
4x7's does a fine job of modifying lights. I am sure these will be no different. Also keep in mind that 4x7's made an investment in these rather expensive lights in the first place. I believe he is entitled to make a profit on his investment.

All to often people complain either directly or by beating around the bush about the prices people charge for their wares.
I say instead of complaining try making something and bring it to market.
Then tell us that the work needed to do this should be done for little or no profit.
It is one thing to be competitive. It is quite another to over charge.
In either case the marketplace always makes the decision without the need of negative comments or complaints or even those who will beat around the bush.

Personally a cr2ion with one of these powerhouse emitters would be quite something to have. Add to that the fact that the light is made from titanium makes it even more special.
There are so many clones and cheap crappy imports which are equally bright. I find it rather cool to see something different on the market.
Even if it is at a premium.
go 4x7's go!!
Yaesumofo