who has an iphone

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
so who has one, i would like to see it in action as an everyday phone, not just as in a "commercial" phone. perhaps if someone who has one could make a quick video of them demoing it, and showing how fast you can get up on the web and to the youtube site like they show it doing on tv.

Phredd

Enlightened
Peter is right for some places. Edge can be fast in some places, too, though not nearly as fast as WiFi. It seems to load enough to see the current focus, then scroll to see more. The scrolling and zooming works great. It's the best handheld browser I've ever used -- makes the Treo seem totally primitive.

The weather and maps widgets are much nicer than using the web sites for the same info. I didn't buy it for the iPod, but it's really nice. I generally take my Archos 504 for traveling, but the iPhone has much better video quality -- just a little smaller.

I think Apple's video of the web is a true representation, including speed if you're on WiFi. I only used YouTube a couple times, with WiFi and works fine. I wouldn't guess it would work well with Edge.

I just found out how to add ringtones and customize the buttons. And I believe the hackers will soon figure out how to open it up to homebrew so it's getting even more fun. In case you couldn't tell, I love my iPhone and I highly recommend it.

Phredd

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I gotta agree with Phredd; I also highly recommend it. I wasn't going to jump & get the version 1.0, but my old phone was just so far past a state of being useful that I couldn't wait any longer (the thing wouldn't even charge right any more). I had a friend who got it and it worked great for them.

I was super happy to find that the iPhone works great. I have an iPod and way too much to fit onto the 8 GB iPhone so I haven't even used the iPod feature either. I have used the YouTube and am amazed to see video on the thing. I checked out some surfing videos & stuff. Way cool. The problem with YouTube is that the videos need to be encoded in a format for the thing's decoder. As a result only a very small portion of the videos are available. (No Adam Ant, haha.)

It's a fun device, but it's also wonderfully easy to work with. Having all the contact database easy to sync without some inbetween sync program that invariably fails to work, it all just works and works great. I can't tell you how much time I've spent trying to get, say, a Treo working with Outlook or something you'd thing should be easy. I use my iPhone on the Mac so of course it works. I hope it works as well on the PC. Maybe I'll try that some time later in the week. If I do I'll report.

Anybody with comments on how well sync (address book, calendar) works on Windows?

gorn

Enlightened
I wasn't going to get an iPhone for several reasons, then one of my Razr's died. It happened to be a Razr that's contract was up so I figured i'd give it a try. If I didn't like it I would give it to someone. Well after having it for a little over a week I wouldn't trade it for any other phone. The wifi net is super fast. Edge network isn't real fast, but I can live with it.

My daughter is going to switch over to ATT from Tmobile when her contract is up because she loves it. All in all it ends up only costing me $15 a month more to have the iPhone with all the data than the Razr cost me with a $5 per month text addon.

I am not a fan of Apple at all but they sure made a nice phone. I will probably upgrade it when v2 arrives. There are already a ton of hack programs out on the net. I was controlling my laptop computer with the iPhone the other day. You can also now activate the iPhone without having to use iTunes or have an ATT account. Although that just leaves you with a very expensive PDA/iPod with wifi only net access.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree. It's got some of the sort of unfinished feature lists that you'd expect in a 1.0 product, but is so far ahead of any of the competition in all the other things that the missing features on the iPhone aren't as annoying as the fully implemented ones on my old treo ;)

The EDGE network data speed seems very dependent on the cell you're in. AT&T seems to be actively upgrading for higher speed. Even my cell out here at the house has been upgraded. IT started out passing the mobile data speed test at only 56k! It was like a wired modem. That was slow, luckily I have wifi at the house. But one night I was playing past my bedtime and I noticed that it was saying "no service" for almost a whole hour. When I checked in the morning again the throughput had been bumped to over 100k. In town here I've never gotten less than 175k and have seen some tests go over 250. So it's not as good as Wifi, but it's quite usable for almost everything. And as recent tests and articles have been making quite clear, the power usage of 3G chipsets is horrid still and battery life would be non-existant if they had gone with that. Those chipsets will mature and future versions will no doubt support it, but when that will happen is more up to the chipset vendors than apple I think. But I wouldn't expect it for at least a year possibly 2 or more.

All in all I'm quite happy with it still, but I am looking forward to the first software update so that they can add things like video recording and perhaps even update the email program some, though I'm not sure what I can do to get rid of the thousands of spam I get in a day that it will be able to deal with...

So I wouldn't ditch a perfectly good phone, unless you just really really wanted one ;) But if you're like me and the other folks here who had old phones or broken phones, getting one over the other offerings is a no brainer.

PS: the thing at duke is fascinating. I can't figure out exactly what they are claiming is happening yet. That the iPhone is sending out some flood of requests or something thats causing their access points to crash. At this moment I'm thinking it's more of a fault with the firmware of whatever access point they are using rather than an iPhone thing. I've used my iPhone on half a dozen different brands of access point here and at friends houses and never had any issues with it or them at all. I've also used it at literally a dozen different restaurants and other hotspots in town without them going down. Indeed it's easily signed onto the wifi at everywhere from Panera to Barnes & Noble.

Last edited:

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
a cow-orker has one and it's nice . Really nice. Really REALLY REALLY NICE, OMIGOD I WANT ONE!!!!!

I don't see myself getting one anytime soon though - not for $499 plus $50 monthly plus activation fees, etc.

I have a Motorola Q from earlier this year - free after rebate and my phone/data plan is about $25 a month. Even if I were out of contract I wouldn't be able to justify the extra $1200+ it would cost me over the next two years. Plus, Sprint's data speed blows AT&T out of the water.

I compared it to my Q - almost exactly the same form factor (The Q is a tad wider but that's it) though the screen on the iPhone is more than twice as large......

Latest posts