Something for Eneloop 4AAA cells

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the deal, I got a pack of AAA Eneloops. I have nothing in AAA right now.
Suggest something neat that uses 3 or more AAA cells, like a 3W headlamp, or a UV light or whatnot.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Something for Eneloop 4AAA cells, like a UV light.

Ebay seems to have a lot of 3AAA UV lights, are any of them good?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the deal, I got a pack of AAA Eneloops. I have nothing in AAA right now.
Suggest something neat that uses 3 or more AAA cells, like a 3W headlamp, or a UV light or whatnot.

i wouldn't recommend a 3W headlamp for 3xAAA. you can get some cheap ones, but don't think for a second that you'll get much burntime at 3W output. now if it also has lower output levels too, that's much better.

there must be a reason that the big name headlamps manufacturers (Princeton Tec, Petzl, Black Diamond, etc.) don't offer, in my limited experience, 3Watters in AAA. 1W seems to be their upper limit generally. batt-life/burntime is the issue.

so, as far as a 3xAAA headlamp goes, here's the best four choice, to my knowledge, that are currently available (there are some others, but these four are perhaps the best representatives of the class).

3xAAA headlamps = PT (Princeton Tec) Quad; PT Eos; Petzl Zipka-Plus; Petzl TikkaXP

if you could have only ONE and you only need task/proximity lighting (no real throw, so only really good out to 10'-20' on MAX, depending upon your age & other factors affecting one's low light visions), go with the regulated (other than on HI/MAX) PT Quad.

if you want to pocket it as an EDC ==> unregulated Petzl Zipka-Plus (VERY NICE form factor).

if you need only THROW, or both throw & flood, then the unregulated Petzl TikkaXP.

if you need just THROW and want the best of the above four mentioned headlamps ==> TikkaXP

if you need just THROW (no flood) & MUST HAVE regulated output, then the PT Eos is your only choice amongst the above four.

These four are all under 4oz with the batts, if i recall correctly, and are probably the four main choices used by light/ultralight backpackers/walkers the world over.

Last year i switched fr/headlamps for nighttime trekking to a Fenix Cree flashlight. Why?

1) lighter (even carrying spare batts)

2) decent enough burn times with the Cree (take Petzl's burntime claims with a grain of salt - you could read a book or see your feet for nearly that long , but NOT hike a trail)

3) better throw than those above mentioned smaller (1W or less) headlamps

4) good enough task/proximity flood lighting on the lowest output setting

just clip it to a cap/hat brim/visor or use a JakStrap headband for hands-free use.

the Fenix L0D-CE uses AAA batts. knowing what i know now, i'd take the Fenix, with a jackstrap, over those other headlamps (which, by the way, i own all four of them and have used them).

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps are not just for night hiking. Personally, I never saw the sense in that unless you had to get someplace since you can't see the views at night. I use my headlamps for reading and working on stuff. More for handsfree, close in work than for distance. Lots of threads on headlamps here so do a search for reviews and such and make a choice or two.

UV lights are great for checking for scorpians, minerals, sanitary conditions, refrigerant leaks, currency or credit/ID card strips, and more, but are for most folks a novelty. Still they can be pretty cool though.

LightScene

Enlightened
For most folks the PT Quad mentioned in the extraordinarily excellent msg from half-watt will be very useful for around-the-house use, and for camping. I recommend re-reading half-watt's msg, because it covers the topic so well.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for a Princeton Tec EOS. I have all of the headlamps mentioned above and the EOS is the best of the bunch. Plus its one of the easiest lights to mod to a reflector and a better emitter.

Martini

Enlightened
I'm not the biggest fan of 3xAAA lights, but I'll second the EOS. Honestly, I think the best use of those batteries is in TV remotes... :whistle:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does sound interesting.

> Best 3xAAA investment you can make. Incredible light.
If you get one, your interest will turn to praise. You have nothing else like it! It's an amazing saber of light! Everyone goes wOoow.. when they see it. :twothumbs