Rain, rain go away

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Today we're having more of the torrential rains which seem to have been the norm the last few years. The rain was so heavy for a while that the city sewer actually filled up and water flowed into the basement from the sewer line. Now there's an inch of water down there.

Anyone know what is going on with the weather? We used to just get regular rainfall. Lately it seems that whenever it does rain it's always a torrential downpour.

Floods_1.jpg

Floods_2.jpg

Floods_3.jpg

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Ouch. I hope there isn't too much damage to your basement.

This rain today is crazy. I went out to my car at 6am and it was sitting in water 2 inches deep (no way to get in the car to go to work without going wading, sucked). And the rain had just started.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
If it makes you feel any better, we are in a moderate drought. We are currently 5.87" below average for the year. Nothing growing here without irrigation. Garden sucks and fruit/vegetable prices are going up. That does suck about your basement, and in some places the sewage dept. is responsible for damages if it is caused by a backup like yours. You can also get inflatable plugs for your drains which may help.

Roger

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Here (In AZ) We're trying to get rain. Right now we actually have rain in the forecast for the next 7 days straight, We had a pretty good size'd thunderstorm about 2 night's ago which gave us a little bit of water (lasted about an hour or two) but we'll get alot more, as there forecasting a strong monsoon for us this year, as strong or stronger than the one last year.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My mom and I spent all day yesterday mopping up the filthy mess. Quite a few boxes with baseball cards, stamps, or other of my late father's hobby items got wet on the bottom. We'll be going through that stuff in the next week to put aside the damaged items for the insurance company. It could have been worse. My workroom came through pretty much unscatched. Just a little water came in on the side opposite my cabinets.

On the gardening thing, it's not that great for us, either. We used to grow vegetables. This year we didn't bother. With the torrential rains everything gets washed out. Things like cucumbers end up with mildew. Besides that, the constant wet conditions breed mosquitoes and other insects like crazy. :sick2: I wish they still sold DDT.

rodfran

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your basement. I hope you do not have too much damage.
We have had an unusual summer here. Lots of flooding in parts of Texas. We are usually roasting this time of year. Last year we had a horrible drought-go figure!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
How about you guys lend some rain to Queensland :)

We are on Level 5 water restrictions, 4 minute showers, not allowed to wash cars or water the lawn etc...

Wish we'd get some rain here!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Here we go again. :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull: The city sewer starting flowing backwards into the basement. Everything is flooded again, including my workroom. What is going on with the weather?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Bummer. Sorry about your basement. Wish we would get some, too. It's been 100 F. down here with no rain in sight. I'm getting tired of hand watering the veggies.

Geoff

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have had unusual weather here too. I live in Nebraska and yesterday temps in the mid 80's and a dew point of 78-80 yet it doesn't rain. You are always wet when your outside without rain falling. Yet we had a couple spots probably 75 miles from here that had radar estimated 10in of rain overnight. I'm no (meteorologist) but it seems odd to me.

meuge

Enlightened
Nope, there is no such thing as climate change. It's just a massive conspiracy by thousands of liberal scientists worldwide to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt, and do other things that don't benefit them at all.

/runs off to buy oceanfront property in western New Jersey.

Latest posts