something rattling in new SF L1?

luminata

Enlightened
Is it normal for there to be something rattling around in the body of the new Surefire L1? when I shake the light with and without a battery and or tailcap there is something floating around in the body head section of the light. this is even with a battery installed and springs under tension.
Ok I have isolated it to the body . and have also removed the clip to rule out the plastic thingy under that. its definitely inside the closed off area of the body

I am upset now cause the beam on this one is awseome and very bright , I dont want to send it back to SF and just get a replacement .

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine has no rattle.

at this point, all i can say is, logically, one of ours is abnormal. my money's on yours. any takers? nah...didn't think so.

Last edited:

ensile

Enlightened
"what's a battle ?.." - Ralph wiggum

if it's a really loud rattle i'd be pissed, if it's a dead in the night flea in a pickle bottle rattle, i think the beam quality would outweigh it ey?.. not everythinig in life can be perfect. We can only hope if its a small shard of alloy or some kind of hardened glue, on a hot day it might eventually rattle itself into lodging somewhere and you'll never hear it again, i'd gently rattle it around to see if it gets stuck, wear it half the day upright, then another half the other way also try leaving it horizontally in a jacket pocket. Best of luck.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumi,

send it back. get your money back. contact Greg at BrightGuy.com. he personally opened and tested, for 5minutes on high, an L1 before he shipped it to me. i bet he'd do the same for you. ask him to check for a rattle noise too.

otherwise, keep yours and give it to a six month old for use as a rattle. you could be influential in laying the initial foundation in a child's life for a future hobby...no wait...avocation...no,...still not right...ADDICTION!!! Yeah,...that's it ADDICTION!!! You are after all indicated as a "Flashaholic", so i'm sure you understand.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a SF, but from what I have read...I am assuming the head part is removable. If the beam is nice and you don't want to give it up, maybe you could have only the body replaced? Just a thought. Looks like a beautiful little light.

luminata

Enlightened
I ended up sending it to Surefire which is probably going to be a mistake from past experience. I figured its been too long to send it back to the dealer and its not their fault you know? I didnt notice the rattle until yesterday and its definitely metal and I fear it will short something on the board out sooner or later. Plus for the cost I just cant live with it. Though I will end up beating the crap out of it over time I want to at least start with a "perfect" tool. Beleive me though I contemplated just keeping it and living with it . And Surefire refused to just replace the body and refused to even put a note in my file about my wanting to not get a whole new light but just have the body exchanged or fixed. But now I can wait the 5 weeks or more to get something back from SF if they dont lose it or my file

But thanx for your thoughts. I tried getting my son into lights (he's 8) but doesnt seem all that interested. He is either very smart or I need to disown him