Sunshine, The Movie

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that one of the main features is that the psychological tension builds dramatically over the course of the movie. Now I'd like to see the movie to find out what that actually means.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I didn't even realize it wasn't out yet here in the states. I saw it a couple months ago when I was in South Korea (why are the release dates so far apart?). It was excellent, but take into account that I'm a scifi buff and a huge Danny Boyle/Alex Garland fanboy, so I'm just a tiny little bit biased.

I think Alien + 2001 = Sunshine is a fair statement. There were several elements that were pretty strongly influenced by those two movies. Thematically, it's somewhere in between those two movies. It's a lot more accessible than 2001, but more complex than Alien.

Don't wait for the DVD or try to pirate it. This is definitely a movie to watch in a theater, the bigger the better. There are a couple scenes that are absolutely breathtaking.

So, to sum it up, it's visually stunning and will keep you riveted. I highly recommend this one. Good scifi movies come so rarely.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
I didn't even realize it wasn't out yet here in the states. I saw it a couple months ago when I was in South Korea (why are the release dates so far apart?). It was excellent, but take into account that I'm a scifi buff and a huge Danny Boyle/Alex Garland fanboy, so I'm just a tiny little bit biased.

I think Alien + 2001 = Sunshine is a fair statement. There were several elements that were pretty strongly influenced by those two movies. Thematically, it's somewhere in between those two movies. It's a lot more accessible than 2001, but more complex than Alien.

Don't wait for the DVD or try to pirate it. This is definitely a movie to watch in a theater, the bigger the better. There are a couple scenes that are absolutely breathtaking.

So, to sum it up, it's visually stunning and will keep you riveted. I highly recommend this one. Good scifi movies come so rarely.

I am a HUGE scifi fan, but it has to good scifi for me to get excited about watching it. It has been a pretty dry period for scifi and was hoping this would break the drought. Looks like I have a treat instore, it open here tomorrow July 20.

Thanks for all the comments

Gary:)

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
I watched it in cinema and some friends were quite disappointed. I just told them that they watched the wrong movie, if they expected Han Solo kissing princess Leia in the end.
If you liked Event Horizon, this movie won't blow you away, but you won't be disappointed either. It's a very well made sci-fi-movie, with a good atmosphere, cool design (space suits, the ship, the "holo deck") and something new/different in this genre - the sun (beautiful shots!!!)
Though Event Horizon is located in a very dark place, Sunshine isn't less scary IMHO.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it. This year, you don't have much choice if you're looking for a well made, serious sci-fi-movie. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to watch it - I was waiting for a new Event-Horizon-like movie anyway!
Oh and I would watch it again.

htnguyen

Newly Enlightened
hi guys.

after only hearing about the infamous and esoteric minded folks of the CPF, i finally decided to join after watching the movie "Sunshine."

a quick blurb about the film. what great movie! :thumbsup: while most would think the speculations were something in the deep space, sci-fi, an end of the world-like genre a la "Aliens" or "Deep Impact" & "Armageddon," it is, but a lot more appealing in the huministic aspect of it all. it does a good job for us questioning how we weigh & value human life to save mankind and the sacrifices and tough choices that need to be made.

how i stumbled on this movie was quite interesting. i've never heard of this film up until recent. i saw "Kick-***" and was knocked off my seat by the amazing sequence where Hit Girl rescues Big Daddy & Kick-***. the musical score had me searching for a while and this is where i stumbled on the movie "Sunshine" (sdtrk by John Murphy & Underworld). the track used in the Kick-*** rescue scene was John Murphy - Adagio in D Minor (from the Sunshine soundtrack). bleh, with all of that useless fact out of the way, let's get the main, juicy part on why i'm here :devil:

first, wasn't that a pretty cool sequence and use of a flashlight in "Kick-***?" (some sort of a high output, tactical/strobe). anyone know what was used? the answer is probably on the Kick-*** thread which i'll read after i click submit to this posting.

finally, can any of you flashlight geeks *cough* i mean gurus, identify the flashlights used in the film "Sunshine?" it's a larger flashlight with a crenellated bezzel. much bigger than the SureFire E2D. i've attached some screen caps. any help would be much appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/hotdawgg/upload/sunshine_flashlight1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/hotdawgg/upload/sunshine_flashlight2.jpg

btw,

the obssession started a while ago when my friend introduced me to the world of flashlights with his SureFire. i opted out to go for more inexpensive solution so i'm the proud owner of a Fenix PD30 :party: (im turning into a flashlight g33k, ahhh)

Last edited by a moderator:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm otherwise a big Danny Boyle fan, but this film was nearly wrecked by it's last 1/3. Shame that such a conceptually ingenious and gorgeous film had to be nearly ruined by turning it into a slasher flick just to appease theater goers with I.Qs less than 80.

This film could have been up there with '2001' and 'Solaris', but now gets lumped in with 'Event Horizon' and 'NightFlyers' because of that horribly executed ending.

There's some killer flashlights used in the series 'Firefly'...I'll try to grab some stills.