Fenix P3D and DX protected cells

JohnfromMD

Newly Enlightened
Be aware that some protected cells will not work with the P3D. Some P3D cells do not allow the tail cap and the bezel to be screwed down as designed. In those cases, you may lose the ability to use the Max stage as the bezel must be tight against the case.

I have tried backing off the tail cap but it didn't want to turn on at all then.

This is a great light but really needs some type of clip. A wire clip similar to the one on the Ultrafire 602D1 would be great if you could get it and keep the clickie.

Regards,

John from MD

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...This is a great light but really needs some type of clip...
Regards,

John from MD

I've purchased, for $4.95, a MiniMagLite Accessory Kit for AA MiniMagLites. There is one clip in it. That clip does NOT need to be screwed to anything. It simply slides onto the MiniMag body/tube.

The clip has enough spring tension in it that you can carefully force it over any Fenix AA or CR123A powered light (i have them currently on a P1D-CE, a P1D-CE now with a Leef body & McClicky, a P2D-CE, a P3D-CE, and also a L1D-CE, and L2D-CE - yeah...it's a Fenix "family affair"!!).

[Note: That clip also works fine on other AA and some CR123A powered lights, e.g. Streamlight 1xAA, 2xAA, and 3xAA LED Task-Lights, but not the 3xAAA SL TL which is a FAT body - 3xAAA in the typical batt. carrier. Please, don't confuse the SL TL series of lights with the SL TT (Twin-Task) Hybrids series of lights, though the clip would also work on the 3xAA SL TT Hybrid - same barrel/tube as the 3xAA SL TL light - i haven't tried this, but no reason why it wouldn't work on this one SL TT Hybrid. I currently have the clips on the 1xAA and 2xAA SL TL LED lights - both very nice Rigel 0.5W flashlights with Hi-Lo modes, by the way - worth owning, IMO.]

If you're at all concerned about scratching the anodized finish on the Fenix, simply pre-spread (i.e., bend just a tad), the MiniMagLite clip before slipping over the business end of the P3D-CE. Sometimes it's easier to spread a bit and force the clip over the smallest diameter portion of a Fenix and then force/slide it to the location that you want it in. I haven't scratched even a black Type II anodized Fenix by placing a MiniMagClip on it. Just be careful and go slow. If unsure, spread it a bit. Since it's in essence a "spring" (Engineeing "speak" here - a lot of things are called springs by Engineers which don't look like coiled springs - 'nuff said on springs at this point; no need gettin' technical), you'll need to bend it until the metal "yields" JUST A BIT and doesn't return to its exact starting shape/diameter. I've only done this once. The other clips i just spread/forced as i slipped them over the "business end" (i.e. the head/front) of the Fenix and then slid them back to the desired location.

The clip also doubles for "hand-free" use by clipping it to a ballcap/hat brim/visor.

Alternatively, go to a really inexpensive nearby department store and see if they have any cheap AA flashlights with an easily removable clip that might fit. Bring your P3D-CE along for sizing.

Also, the clips from older CMG (now Gerber) Infinity Task-Lights works on all of the Fenix flashlights, both AA and CR123A powered (excepting, of course, the little AAA powered Fenixes). I haven't tried the newer Gerber Infinity clips, some of which have a different design/configuration and appear much more robust with much more material gripping the tube/barrel of the flashlight. So, i can't knowledgeably address the use of those clips on a Fenix. My guess is that they would work, but might be too long (the portion that grips or slides over the head or barrel of the light, not the spring-clip portion of the clip) and might interfere with twist operation aspects of all AA and CR123A lights as well as being longer than the thicker head portion of a P1D-CE (i'm guessing here as i haven't measure the newer Infinity clips for length & fit, so i could be wrong - i've only seen pics of the clip).

I've stolen the old-style clips off of an old CMG Infinity and also a CMG Infinity-Ultra that were laying around and have them on two of the Fenix CE's that i mentioned above. So, i know first-hand that these too will work.

Ok, this post is too long already. 'Nuff said.

Hope this info proves helpful to someone.

Last edited: