Why can't MagLED use rechargeables?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, I just got a 2D MagLED and was wondering why it is recommended to not use rechargeables by Mag? Will rechargeables push a higher current through the Led module and ruin it? I plan on getting cheap 2xAA to D adapters for it and was going to use rechargeable AA in it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use rechargeable NiCD or NiMH batteries in a Mag without problems, though you may encounter some contact problems using AA batteries in a D adapter. If you do, you'll need to compress the end of the spring a bit to make contact. Mag has had that "don't use rechargeables" on all of their incandescent lights for years and just carried it over to the MagLED lights.

You might, however, want to do a reality check on the use of rechargeables over the cost of alkalines. A pair of D sized alkalines will last for quite a while. Since you're using AA batteries, the cost of the batteries isn't much, but it will be a significant reduction in run-time if that is a factor for you. I do not see much advantage to using D sized NiMH batteries in a light like a MagLED though as it would take at least 8 sets of alkalines to break even, and many people may not use that many sets of batteries in the entire time that they used that light.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use CTA 12,000 mAh without any issues.

I wish I could get Low Self Discharge ones as I use it so rarely vs. AA lights.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
I've just ordered 16 Ni-mH D cells and charger so I hope I haven't wasted my money. My mother is getting half of them, since she has arthritis the larger diameter Mag is easier for her to hold onto.