Mag Cree Drop In?

Beer

Enlightened
Mag Cree Drop In?

Do these exist? A drop in Cree Led bulb much like the Mag 3W or Nite-eye's Drop in.:shrug:

Just got an Aspheric lens for $8.00, and figured I might as well look into the whole LED Mag thing. :twothumbs

KingGlamis

Banned
Mag Cree Drop In?

Do these exist? A drop in Cree Led bulb much like the Mag 3W or Nite-eye's Drop in.:shrug:

Just got an Aspheric lens for $8.00, and figured I might as well look into the whole LED Mag thing. :twothumbs

I second this request, and also would like to know how a Cree would compare to the TerraLUX 3 Watt Luxeon LED replacement bulb for the 3 C or D cell Maglite (which can be used in a 4D with one dummy cell). Also, I have the Mag-brand LED right now. Anyone have any specs on it?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, do a little searching here on CPF and you will find some interesting reading on the current state of Mag Cree/Seoul drop-ins. Here is a little something to get you started:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/..._id=15&zenid=a6361f8ffcf93cadefa1192f0314c984

Gene makes those by hand (although he finally got some help with the solid copper heatsinks..... and will hopefully be able to get a few more out). They are still a little hard to come by right now, but are generally considered among the best and brightest drop-in available. Here is the CPF thread discussing these:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=160492

Then you have the commercially available TerraLUX TLE-6XE (3-6 cell mags), and the TerraLUX TLE-6XEB (2-3 cells mags). Here is a site that sells those:

http://batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Put TLE-6EX in the CPF search engine and you should find some interesting reading indeed.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually, Mag will come out with products using new technology leds. I think they are waiting for Lumileds to release their new stuff. Companies like Mag can't afford to switch back and forth between led vendors; instead, they will wait even though Cree is ahead of them, for the moment. This might apply to Streamlight, we'll see.

Beer

Enlightened
Thanks!

Ok, so with LED's does voltage matter that much?

Would I get the same brightness out of a 3 cell light as I would a 4 cell?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3 and 4 cell Magled are, for the most part, the same brightness. The extra cell just gives you even more runtime.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Thanks!

Ok, so with LED's does voltage matter that much?

Would I get the same brightness out of a 3 cell light as I would a 4 cell?
Others can explain it better than I can, but I'll give it a shot. I'm sure I'll learn something from this no matter what. The LED needs a certain voltage to run at a certain hight. Too high a voltage and you'll be overdriving (running above spec. and decreasing the life of the LED) and too low a voltage and you'll well, the LED won't run at all or will run, but not as high as it could. The number of batteries you use and the kind can have an impact on brightness, but also runtime. If you're running an LED directly off the batteries, you'll have a bright light at first, but as the voltage in the batteries fall so will the light coming from the LED. Be careful though, I'm sure there's a point where you can have too many batteries directly driving an LED. So, what do we do now, but make some kind of device to take power from the batteries and deliver it at "safe" levels to the LEDs. These drivers can boost the power from the batteries if it's not enough, or it can decrease it if it's too much. Most drivers are dedicated to one or the other, but some can do both. Usually, a LED with a good driver won't dim a quickly as on directly connected to the batteries. It'll still dim, but the decent won't be as quick. I think another thing to talk about is heat. LED's today, can produce heat that can damage or lower the performance of themselves. For a bright LED light, good heatsinking is essential to maintain brightness. This is one thing some manufactures don't think is cost effective and don't add to their product. The new maglites are one example. They have virtually nothing in the way of heatsinking. When one is turned on it starts up bright, but as heat builds up as the light stays on; it dims. The luxeon III throttles itself back to prevent self-inflected damage.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, do a little searching here on CPF and you will find some interesting reading on the current state of Mag Cree/Seoul drop-ins. Here is a little something to get you started:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/i...a1192f0314c984
The way malkoff's mod works is quite elegant. IMO it would be great if he did a module using a Cree XR-E, positioned at the correct focal length for use with an aspheric lens. The fact that a reflector would not be needed would permit a much more massive heatsinking, and consequently some headroom to overdrive the emitter.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way malkoff's mod works is quite elegant. IMO it would be great if he did a module using a Cree XR-E, positioned at the correct focal length for use with an aspheric lens. The fact that a reflector would not be needed would permit a much more massive heatsinking, and consequently some headroom to overdrive the emitter.

agreed