Is this a good flashlight?

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm looking for a good flashlight for general/rough use, as well as some possible search and rescue work in the future. It therefore should be submersible. I've found this one by Lumaray, called the FL-12RX. As I am a noob, do you guys see anything negative about this light? I want to be sure about this before making such a significant investment. Thanks!

KingGlamis

Banned
Looks like a cool flashlight. Although 86 lumens is not considered awesome, it certainly is plenty bright for most uses. My only suggestion is to see if you can run other batteries besides the C-cells (I'm sure you can but I'm no expert [yet] on batteries).

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it sure does look awesome, and those who buy one generally like it. I'm not too fond of it, though, as it uses clusters of 5mm LEDs and direct drive (dims slowly throughout use). It's also kind of expensive.

I would recommend a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon, in 4AA or 3C. These two lights, especially the 4AA, are extremely popular around here.

If you haven't yet, check out www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and like it. It's a good general-purpose torch, but doesn't have the reach for S&R work. Since you're not against high-dollar torches, definitely check out the Heliotek HTE-1A. They haven't updated their site yet from the old model, but it looks the same, so can be used just fine for getting a feel for it. I've started a review of the new version. It does lack a dark adapted mode like the 12RX, but off the top of my head, i can't think of any throwers that accomodate that.

jki

Newly Enlightened
Check out the new Pelican 7060 flashlight designed to specifications of the LAPD. Should be available in a few weeks on the consumer market. Read about it in the thread on this forum. Rugged, very bright, good run time, and good price on preorders through Lighthound to CPF'ers as well. Added: Sorry, re-read your original post and the Pelican will not be submersible.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the new Pelican 7060 flashlight designed to specifications of the LAPD. Should be available in a few weeks on the consumer market. Read about it in the thread on this forum. Rugged, very bright, good run time, and good price on preorders through Lighthound to CPF'ers as well. Added: Sorry, re-read your original post and the Pelican will not be submersible.

It's waterproof to 1m, which may be enough for SAR work.

olight001

Newly Enlightened
The outlook is really cool, especially, anti-roll design shown well in this flashlight, but the waterproof I don't if it is really can arrive that parameter. and the price is really so expensive.because i regards that is just adopt the 5mm LED cool white and warm white one together ,includ the red led,only 13 pcs 5mm LED,so I regards the price is too expensive.:sssh: