PAL Survival Light- Heaps of Questions...

Mike V

Enlightened
Anyone got a PAL Survival light?

I'm really interested in the super low mode which is supposed to have a run time of 2 years.

Is this for alkaline battery?
So on a disposable lithium 9V would it be 4 like years?

Are there any other lights that have a mode like this?
If not, why not?

Could this light be modded to use a better LED for a bit more output and even longer run times?

Would this be difficult to mod because of the optics?

zamboniman

Newly Enlightened
the "two year" mode will only make the output lens glow enough so that you can locate the PAL light. If you have an LED light which takes uses just a resistor to limit current or direct drive, you can solder 39kohms across the switch (in parallel with it) in order to get the light to have a faint glow with which you can locate it.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've had one on the nightstand next to the bed for a few years now (not on the same battery - i've made one or two batt changes; my "old-timers" is actin' up and i'm forgettin' precisely how many).

of course that one-2-two yrs of "glowing" assumes that you don't use the light on high or low output for any appreciable length of time (or cumulative time through many short-term uses).

you can use alkaline batts in it. that's all i've used.

sorry, can't answer any of your other questions. i'd just be making guesses or "guesstimating" as to what would work and for how long.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Safe-Light Superbrights and Companions.

Warning: Ultralife 9v Lithiums will NOT fit in these, too large.

Maybe the same for other 9v PP3 Lithiums.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
The PAL lights or the new Super Bright flashlights are one of my favorite lights. I have had one of them last 3 years on the same battery. It sits on my nightstand. The new Super Bright model has a feature that allows you to turn the light off completely. This saves the battery and it prevents it from accidently turning on. I only use these feature when I throw one of the Super Brights in my luggage when traveling. Here is a link to the Super Bright model.

http://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=92

Grubbster

Enlightened
Anyone got a PAL Survival light?
Is this for alkaline battery?
So on a disposable lithium 9V would it be 4 like years?
As was stated above, the lithium will not fit in the new ones. I have been able to fit one in some of the older models. The alkaline will not run in this mode for 2 years in my experience. More like a year, but still that is great. I use one mounted by my gun safe to throw a light on the keypad. Works perfectly when your eyes are night adapted. I also use one for a night light for the kids when camping. When shinning down from the peak of a tent it is just enough light to keep the monsters away.:whistle::crackup:
Are there any other lights that have a mode like this?
If not, why not?
There are other lights with modes like this such as the HDS and soon to be Novatac lights. They are MUCH more expensive though.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...The alkaline will not run in this mode for 2 years in my experience. More like a year, but still that is great...

i do remember changing mine after 'bout a yr. after that, i'm not clear on how many batt. changes i've made. i'd agree with your year. i just can't recall, except for that first batt. change. i've only used alkaline; haven't even tried to fit a Li in it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It really is just a faint glow. Because of the lens there is some projection, but only enough to navigate in a coal mine. Any ambient light will wash it out beyond a couple feet.

Geoff

Mike V

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys.

Now that I've looked a bit more, it seems that they advertise one year now (not two) for the dim mode.

Maybe they changed the emitter at some stage and made it brighter or something and this reduces the run time?

Seems like the main difference between the Superbright and the Survival is that it is much floodier???

Not sure which model to get now (probably either would be fine).

I wish I could walk into a shop and handle some of this stuff.
Totally limited to ordering over the internet for stuff like this down here.

bouncer

Enlightened
Hey Mike don't feel bad most shops have everything in blister packs now I never get to try them out either the only benefit is I can play with them when I get out of the store instead of waiting for shipping had a original model lost it years ago beam was similar to a surefire e1l maybe a little brighter on high

paulr

Flashaholic
If the HDS and Novatac are like their Arc 4+ predecessor, they have a locator flash which is a brief pulse every few seconds, not a continuous dim glow which would require keeping the dc-dc converter running all the time. There is also an Energizer 2D PR2 light for $8.95 or so that has a flashing red led that is supposed to run for several years on the two D cells. For a household light that one can find in the dark, I think the Energizer is a great idea. As a flashaholic though, I use a led light with a tritium glowring attached to the lanyard hole.

redsun

Newly Enlightened
Well after I read your post I had to re-do my signature to put in the 3 PAL lights I bought years ago ( the first ones I ever bought on the internet! ).

They are very useful for looking at my travel alarm in the dark in low mode. I even tried them on my bike (all my lights end up on my bike eventually, some for only one trip...) with a collimating lens, but the strobe function was too slow (unless... see below), and they are not water resistant enough for Vancouver.

These lights are great for creeping around the house for nocturnal washroom visits though...

ONce I put all three (green, blue and white) on the back of my bike, all in strobe mode. That was fun... Oops, now my secret identity is blown...

-redsun

Darell

Flashaholic
Could this light be modded to use a better LED for a bit more output and even longer run times?

They are (at least were) relatively easy to swap emitters. Using a better emitter will give you more output (at every level) and will have zero effect on the runtime. The emitter sees the same current no matter how "good" it is. What the emitter does with the power (makes light or makes heat) is what differentiates a "better" emitter from a not-so-good one.

http://darelldd.com/light/pal_light.htm