Turn A PENCIL Into A LIGHT !

Illum

Flashaholic
graphite lamps...its not somethings thats new, just commonly overlooked

now if you use 2 carbon rods from batteries, give it an initial contact and then separate them slowly...you'll get more light than just a pencil....but your gonna need both hands and its going to get HOT!

I wonder if using pencil lead work with batteries with lower current output....

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
graphite lamps...its not somethings thats new, just commonly overlooked

now if you use 2 carbon rods from batteries, give it an initial contact and then separate them slowly...you'll get more light than just a pencil....but your gonna need both hands and its going to get HOT!

I wonder if using pencil lead work with batteries with lower current output....

OK, show us your video. LOL!

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'd like to know how you find all the components and assemble this contraption in the dark, so that you can have some light...

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
You could try American Science & Surplus.

They might have some carbon rods.

It's sort of pot-luck, they have whatever they can find on closeout or surplus, but back in the 90's as a kid screwing around in my garage, I got the carbon rods there when I made an 110V AC arc-furnace out of a terra-cotta flower pot, and some curtain rods, and a salt-water/lead fishing sinker rheostat.

The design was from an old 1950's "Jr. Scientist" book, back when liability was the assumption of the experimenter, not the publisher. :D

It worked great until I got the idea to use a wall dimmer rheostat, instead of the salt-water/lead one. It worked for a few seconds, then promptly melted, shorted across itself, and blew half the breakers in the house... :candle:

At least summer vacation was interesting at my house.

Last edited:

knot

Banned
Like I mentioned elsewhere, I needed a light because my dome lights were out and I needed to repair my steering wheel assembly off road at night. I made one out of an 1157 bulb, tape, wire, and a coke can (so the light would be directional and not blind me). Why use a pencil when you've got plenty of bulbs to choose from.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
Carbon rods for arc gouging are available from welding equipment suppliers. That said, don't mess around with DIY Arc lighting unless you really understand all the hazards. Just a short list to get started: heat/fire, UV (eye damage, sunburn, skin cancer), ozone, carbon particulates, electric shock, etc...

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
While very cool this will hopefully prove to never be useful to anyone here. Because anyone reading this should have at the very least a flashlight on themselves at all times but more likely 2 on your person and one in the glove box.

Illum

Flashaholic
Because anyone reading this should have at the very least a flashlight on themselves at all times but more likely 2 on your person and one in the glove box.

I think 2 is a good number for EDCing lights:wave:

the glove box is one thing...don't forget some of us keep lights on the doors, the tray beneath the seats, the popout trash can on the console, the cup holder etc...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Some of the other videos made by that same guy are quite frightening....and likely have that dude on the various "watch lists."

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great find tho. Even if many knew, I think just as many did'nt.
If you use it or not, it's up to you, but nice to even try it as an
experiment.

(p.s. I wonder how many Amps it's pullen and if it could run from 3 or 4x Li-Lion ?)

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Great find. Some of his other videos are real eye openers(Binary Explosive)...Now someone please explain why the TSA is allowing lighters on flights again?

Illum

Flashaholic
This is a great find tho. Even if many knew, I think just as many did'nt.
If you use it or not, it's up to you, but nice to even try it as an
experiment.

(p.s. I wonder how many Amps it's pullen and if it could run from 3 or 4x Li-Lion ?)

I wonder if the experiment proves detrimental to the battery:green:

wcbcruzer

Newly Enlightened
That's very neat! It would be cool to impress your friends or just have fun with. I don't think it would be of any real world use though. A lot of the people were commenting how it's a great way to make light in emergency situations; one guy actually said "I'll make sure to keep a pencil in the car at all times." :laughing: Shoot, as if splitting the pencil open wasn't hard enough, might as well just grab the dome light and hook that up to the battery.

BTW, how many amps do you guys think that pencil lead draws?

CLHC

Flashaholic
That was sure interesting, and today I learned something new. . .Guess I'm not too old to learn eh?

Enjoy!