Brightest 2AAA Flashlight?

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
One of the flashlights I EDC is a 2AAA Nuwai. Regulated 15 lumens for 6 hours on primary alkalines. I like the form factor better than 1CR123. It's a handy amount of light. But with today's technology I imagine there's something out there that just blows it away. I couldn't find a 2AAA Fenix. What should I be looking at?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Baltic, Special Ultra Power, SSC-P4 with 2AAA body.

If you need throw as opposed to general brightness get the Pacific. Again you will have to specify Special Ultra Power, SSC-P4, with 2AAA body.

These combinations are not on Peak's website so you have to phone your order in.

Peak has it's own subforum over at CPFmarketplace:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Remember the brighter the light,the shorter the runtime!!!
Some comments on power vs. runtime of the various Peak Baltic/Pacific models here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2042942&postcount=2

You may also consider going with a 1AAA light. The shorter body maybe a little harder to hold but a lot easier to pocket. May I suggest the Fenix L0D-CE.

Last edited:

Spin

Enlightened
One of the flashlights I EDC is a 2AAA Nuwai. Regulated 15 lumens for 6 hours on primary alkalines. I like the form factor better than 1CR123. It's a handy amount of light. But with today's technology I imagine there's something out there that just blows it away. I couldn't find a 2AAA Fenix. What should I be looking at?
What model of 2AAA Nuwai are you referring to?

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
That's the one. Good little light. I think I got mine for $10, maybe from Amondotech.

Last edited:

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
Same here. It's the bluest "white" LED light I have and rather dim, too.

I bought three of them. Two were (relatively) bright white, the other was a dimmer yellow.

Anyway, is the Peak the best 2AAA going? Is it brighter than the Inova?

thunderlight

Enlightened
The 2xAAA Swiss Army "version" of the Inova radiant is significantly better than the 2xAAA standard plastic Inova radiant in terms of brightness and build quality. The switching mechanism is better as well since the Swiss Army logo gizmo allows using the twistie almost like a slide switch. The brightness is somewhere between the regular radiant and the Nuwai/RiverRock, however you don't have that annoying extreme blue tint. Rather, the blue tint is typical Nichia 5mm blue similar to the regular radiant or the Gen 2 Inova X1 -- probably same Nichia LED. It is also brighter than the Gen 2 Inova X1 that I have, but this may be due to statistical variation. They are very close.

My guess is the 2xAAA Bolt version would match the characteristics of the Swiss Army as far as the LED goes, so maybe that's another avenue if readily available in your area.

EDIT: Based on another thread, my reference was to an earlier generation 2xAAA Swiss Army/Victorinox, not the latest. I didn't realize that this model had been updated.

Last edited:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

2AAA is an unusual size. A 1 AAA flash can be extremely small; a 3AAA can be a cheap, direct-drive LED, but a 2AAA is longer and only slightly thinner than a 1AA, not all that much smaller than a 2AA, and doesn't have that long a runtime.

Googling "2XAAA flashlight" shows the Nuwai/River Rock, Innova Radiant, and an Ultrafire: http://www.szwholesale.com/ultrafirereg-wf601b-2xaaarechargeable-p-963.html. At $13, it's not that much more than the Maglite AAA, which no one has recommended, for good reasons :) (Oops, $13 is wholesale.)

There's also a host of 5mm LED flashlights (http://www.szwholesale.com/5-led-2xaaa-p-108.html).