Voice transmission through your flashlight

DaveH

Enlightened
This idea came to me when I had a Krill light I was playing with.

The idea was that since the light is powered by AC anyway, if they added a microphone hookup and a cicuit to modulate the light in some way, and a cell to receive the modulation and send it to an earphone, 2 or more could be used as a kind of walkie talkie.

Actually, a dedicated IR diode device would probably work much better, but you wouldn't get any visible light though.

Anyway I think it would be fun.

Needless to say, the company never wrote back when I contacted them about the idea.

DaveH, maybe I'm ahead of my time.
wink.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Laser-based wireless lan network connectivity is available at Fast Ethernet 100mbps and ATM 155mbps bandwidths. IIRC, the range is about 2 city blocks and is relatively inexpensive ($20K range?) compared to microwave ($100K++ range). A lot of businesses use it to link a building across a street without having to trench the street and run fiber. The disadvantage is the short range and susceptibility to weather effects.

So...it's not exactly built using Krills, but it *is* light based.
smile.gif

Btw, this is my first post here. Hi everyone!

grin.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I missed this thread.

I thought there was a laser device like this already. IR LED's or flashlight bulbs would work better. You wouldn't have to aim it. It would be interesting.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How would one go about demodulating the signal to understand what was being said?

JK

DaveH

Enlightened
You let the engineers figure it out!

Like any modulation/demodulation system, you'd have to plan out the frequencies to add and subtract so that the voice data went through.

My point in mentioning it in relation to Krill lamps is that those lamps run off alternating current. It seemed to me, NOT being and electrical engineer, that it would be easier to do with krill's than a direct current system.

DaveH